Tygerberg MTB Trails

Bub Marley

Majik Forest is a municipal area open to everybody so I don’t know who is going to maintain the trails. Council seem to cut the vegetation back but that is where it ends.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I somewhat agree with this. But is the club building for the 5% or the 95%? Stuff can be technical and fun, but also safe for other riders. 

Why is there even a Flow terra? To keep 5% of the club happy ?

Lets have one section for XCO then and make the Flow terra fun for all not just 5%

hmm....lets put some slow, unskilled riders on a trail where better riders are going top speed to clear jumps...yeah, that's a great idea.

It will be a hazard and it will cause nothing but frustration to all riders involved.

I can't ride these jumps, but I respect those that can and I feel that they too deserve to have some fun on the trails.

hmm....lets put some slow, unskilled riders on a trail where better riders are going top speed to clear jumps...yeah, that's a great idea.

It will be a hazard and it will cause nothing but frustration to all riders involved.

I can't ride these jumps, but I respect those that can and I feel that they too deserve to have some fun on the trails.

Us guys that like gravity more than climbing, we don't hassle people going slow on stuff. We know that people like progressing, and we give them all the time they need. If we come rushing up behind you on what is (for us) a pretty fast section, well that's our problem and we haul anchors and let you go about your ride, and pass when it's safe. If you come rushing up behind us, and it's clear that you're faster, we pull over as quickly as possible to allow you to continue with the lowest amount of variation in speed possible. 

Contrary to popular belief, we weren't always "pinners" - we, too, started at the bottom, and progressed with the tools and spots that were available, like Tokai and Jonkers. Gradually working our way up and hollering like a bloody idiot when others progressed alongside us. 

THAT is what we want to have at TB. The ability to allow others to go from the bottom, to the top, and us that are somewhere else along that cruel ladder called progression, to progress just a bit more from where we are. 

At the moment, it's catering for the 90th percentile. What we're saying, is build trails to allow for those who want to progress, to claw their way up to the 5th percentile. 

ALERT: This does in no way say that I am not respectful and thankful for Patrick's work. He and his team (and other groups involved in the builds) put in an immense amount of work in maintaining and building trail, but I know that to a large degree he has his hands tied on what can and can't be built, apart from in a few small sections. Trail building is immensely physical and is at times an art form, and any trails that we have on privately owned land should never be taken for granted. I've shared beers and shuttles with Patrick multiple times, and talk inevitably at some point leads to a discussion such as we've seen here, however long that conversation may be. 

Edited by Captain Fatbastard Mayhem

Contrary to popular belief, we weren't always "pinners" - we, too, started at the bottom, and progressed with the tools and spots that were available, like Tokai and Jonkers. Gradually working our way up and hollering like a bloody idiot when others progressed alongside us. 

Truth be told, even when I started MTB'ing and walking many tech sections ... I was still faster than Meezo is now on an Enduro bike  :ph34r:

I somewhat agree with this. But is the club building for the 5% or the 95%? Stuff can be technical and fun, but also safe for other riders. 

Lets have one section for XCO then and make the Flow terra fun for all not just 5%

For the record, the flow terra was built by the previous farm manager and not funded with club membership fees.

Guys who is in control of the Magic Forest trails? They need some attention I say that in the same breath as in I will also help out. Some sections the berms are gone and need some TLC.

Majik is public open space and the club does do some maintenance there with the blessing of the parks department. Lots of maintenance is scheduled this winter but we're at the mercy of the weather. We've tried community builds in the past but it a bit of a challenge to manage and I think most of us underestimate just how much soil needs to be moved and compacted to have an impact on the trails.

No, that was an idiotic decision. It's not a drop anymore. 

It's still a drop....just gots to go faster!

post-35907-0-26331700-1553715850_thumb.gif

Not sure how long this has been there but looks pretty new and was closed at last week....PROPER...DROPPER :clap: ...

post-35907-0-90513100-1553716366_thumb.png

Edited by capediver

Truth be told, even when I started MTB'ing and walking many tech sections ... I was still faster than Meezo is now on an Enduro bike  :ph34r:

how did i get involved in this discussion...

leave us roadies alone, you pinners

it would make for interesting reading to see how many hours per year the 5% riders spend on the trail vs the 95% riders.

it would make for interesting reading to see how many hours per year the 5% riders spend on the trail vs the 95% riders.

Well if this thread can be taken as evidence clearly they are spending all their time on the hub while the other 95% are on the trails  :ph34r:

My BFF is a good few years older than you, and she can rip down a trail far faster than many a man half her age ... but she is special!

Hmm now that is the thing, where on these trail do we learn that ?

what I would really like to see is a tech climb, that would be fun, and I am not exactly your typical climbing mountain goat cyclist.

This.

I really enjoy the Lombards SCO climb as well as the climbs on the new XCO course, although they're very tough and pushes my heart rate to the point that I need to stop at the top or risk falling on the A-Line due to fatigue!

I don't even feel the Lombard's climb, in contrast to the 21m elevation of "the gorge" on Hooggekraal - love the down, HATE the up.

what happened to the good old "get off your bike and walk a tech section" if you did not have the skills to ride it.

that is how I remember learning riding way back in the tree filled Tokai days on bikes with 75mm of travel and brakes that made more noise than stopping power!

seriously, why do people not just walk a tech section, there is no shame in it, and if you walk it enough you may eventually try and ride it.

what I would really like to see is a tech climb, that would be fun, and I am not exactly your typical climbing mountain goat cyclist.

Go to Jonkers very early and ride up the Canaries.

Or ( :whistling: :ph34r: ) start Conters very early and ride up Cheeky Corners and up Revised and up The Mast Black.