Is selling on the classifieds becoming more difficult?

M L

South African Economic Times   

384 members have voted

1. 1. Are you finding it increasingly difficult to sell things on the classifieds?

• I sell things quickly and easily - it seems people have money
    • I sell things fairly quickly
    • I find it rather difficult to sell things - I struggle to sell and get low ball offers

A typical example I had last week :

I bought a brand new kickr snap 2 out the box from my LBS for R7600.......seller on here wanted R 7000

for a second hand one ? 

this^

there is a guy selling Lyzene mega C gps on here for R2700. Granted it is new in box....but i can get a new one from the store for R2650(shipped) with the added security of warranty return etc.

If i were selling that NIB on here id probably post it for around R2k just because i dont need/want it and want to move it. You will NOT get me to pay you full retail for an item "foetstoots" even if it is "NIB, never been opened, still in plastic".

Not gonna happen. ill rather go to a store so I can cause a scene if something goes wrong and get a new one.

i usually aim for 50-60% new item value when i sell stuff on here depending on what it is. If you feel you want or need more...your expectations are to high. Yes someone will probably buy it eventually...but most wont buy stuff only 10 or 20% cheaper than new stuff..well not me.

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

or the best one is if they sell a NIB item for "what THEY paid for it"

i don't care what you paid for it....i did my home work and know what the best price is for it at every single store lol. you should have done the same.

buying or selling, sales has slowed down in both retail and second hand so don't take it personally. Disposable income is a raw commodity and will continue to be under pressure till at least 2021

or the best one is if they sell a NIB item for "what THEY paid for it"

i don't care what you paid for it....i did my home work and know what the best price is for it at every single store lol. you should have done the same.

Couldn't agree more

buying or selling, sales has slowed down in both retail and second hand so don't take it personally.

All I ask for is a response when I enquire about something being sold.

Just some good old fashioned common decency.

And when I'm selling and you've asked me to take additional high definition pics and vids, at least confirm your intention ... don't just vanish without a trace.

Edited by Thomo

All I ask for is a response when I enquire about something being sold.

Just some good old fashioned common decency.

i agree entirely.

i've called guys, agreed i am happy to buy provided i get some extra info.

only to be told later they sold it

in these cases i assume i have dodged a bullet, dodgy selling i correlate to dodge items.

I like keeping an eye on the MTB frames and suspension forks ... kind of a fun thing for me.

What I find annoying are people (seems like mostly 29'er forks with QR axels) selling a couple of years old forks for the price of what people are selling very nearly brand new forks for.

buying or selling, sales has slowed down in both retail and second hand so don't take it personally. Disposable income is a raw commodity and will continue to be under pressure till at least 2021

It's bikes we're talking about. That sits in the 'necessity' column and should never be glibly lumped with 'disposable income'. That is what is left after you've bought the bike bits for things like school fees, bond, wifes birthday presents... 

I like keeping an eye on the MTB frames and suspension forks ... kind of a fun thing for me.

What I find annoying are people (seems like mostly 29'er forks with QR axels) selling a couple of years old forks for the price of what people are selling very nearly brand new forks for.

Very true.  This is also the same with bikes (maybe stuff like 2015 and older).  Some sellers are just adverting for unreasonable amounts, close to cost of new models

A bike already loses so much value immediately after you get it new from a store. Warranty ect.

I have been looking at for a reasonable hardtail, but the pricing is just to high

Just to go back to the title of the thread... posted ad last night. Dropper sold today. Collection happening this arvo. Done.  

Again proof that a correctly priced item sells. End of the story......

Very true.  This is also the same with bikes (maybe stuff like 2015 and older).  Some sellers are just adverting for unreasonable amounts, close to cost of new models

A bike already loses so much value immediately after you get it new from a store. Warranty ect.

I have been looking at for a reasonable hardtail, but the pricing is just to high

Add to this the "juppie-price-factor" of many bikes ....

2018 Scott Spark 940 is listed and sold for near R50k for 10 months, then as the 2019 stock is ready for shipment the price drops ... and drops ... and drops some more .... to the point where you buy it brand new from the shop with full warantee for R36k !

The poor soul that paid full price a few months earlier needs to take one mother of a knock to move the second hand bike !!!

That said, most of us knows this when parting with our cash to buy a current model.  It is just how the cookie crumbles.

I say this as our 9 month old 24'' is getting nearer and nearer to the classifieds (probably 4 months down the road) .... Almost R6k bike, spent a fair bit upgrading to better drive train.  Reality is I would be lucky to get R3k.  That's just the reality of this game ....  KNOWING this I can sell it quick, or frustrate a lot of people trying to get a few rands more than what a quick sale would get ...

Add to this the "juppie-price-factor" of many bikes ....

2018 Scott Spark 940 is listed and sold for near R50k for 10 months, then as the 2019 stock is ready for shipment the price drops ... and drops ... and drops some more .... to the point where you buy it brand new from the shop with full warantee for R36k !

The poor soul that paid full price a few months earlier needs to take one mother of a knock to move the second hand bike !!!

That said, most of us knows this when parting with our cash to buy a current model.  It is just how the cookie crumbles.

I say this as our 9 month old 24'' is getting nearer and nearer to the classifieds (probably 4 months down the road) .... Almost R6k bike, spent a fair bit upgrading to better drive train.  Reality is I would be lucky to get R3k.  That's just the reality of this game ....  KNOWING this I can sell it quick, or frustrate a lot of people trying to get a few rands more than what a quick sale would get ...

PM me, am in the market for a 24" in the next month or so. Maybe we can strike a deal.......