Is selling on the classifieds becoming more difficult?

M L

South African Economic Times   

384 members have voted

1. 1. Are you finding it increasingly difficult to sell things on the classifieds?

• I sell things quickly and easily - it seems people have money
    • I sell things fairly quickly
    • I find it rather difficult to sell things - I struggle to sell and get low ball offers

I advertise at what im willing to sell at at a certain point in time , i may drop later but because i choose to do so and not because someone talks me into it ( i feel my pricing is pretty fair , somethings go very fast others take months )

i feel less sales are happening and most people are feeling the pinch 

something that irks me deep tho is people that pitch with less money that was agreed upon ( and i generally take it ) so I've had to resort to stuff like " if we meet up and you decide to take the item it will be for X price and nothing less " just to make sure that buyers know that **** won't work again .... have since dealt with very upfront and honest people , there @ssholes usually stop replay after my ultimatum 

and low offers I just ignore , no sense in replying .... it does get tedious when I start to get badgered when I don't reply to said dumb@ss offer

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some enthusiastic seller is currently asking R1100 for a slightly used Ultegra 6800 cassette on a FB group. 

I'll bet he used the magic words: almost new. 

The hub is full of such magic.

or the other classic: used once.

lolwut.

I would never buy a second hand cassette, no matter how slightly used it may be. Same with chains, brake pads, tyres, any wear bits. 

Not sure I agree here. 

A new XX1 cassette will cost around R 5000.00. If I can pick up a slightly used one for around R1700-2000 I will. It is easy to establish how much use it has had and they last forever. I will often just buy them and keep them in storage until I need it. I honestly cannot remember when I purchased a new cassette... probably 6 years ago.

The same principle applies to chainrings. 

I agree on the Chain, brake pads and tyres though. Mainly because these items are cheap and there is no benefit in buying second hand.

I will probably never buy a used fork without inspection first. Some sellers don't disclose stanchion damage or downplay it. You cannot repair a FOX fork for less than R 7000.00. I have discussed the issue at length with Omnico and they confirm. The new Rockshox fast black and FOX Kashima coatings wear especially quickly.

Edited by steveO:K

Some enthusiastic seller is currently asking R1100 for a slightly used Ultegra 6800 cassette on a FB group.

Oh and when you offer them a price they think you low balling them ????????‍♂️

I advertise at what im willing to sell at at a certain point in time , i may drop later but because i choose to do so and not because someone talks me into it ( i feel my pricing is pretty fair , somethings go very fast others take months )

something that irks me deep tho is people that pitch with less money that was agreed upon ( and i generally take it ) so I've had to resort to stuff like " if we meet up and you decide to take the item it will be for X price and nothing less " just to make sure that buyers know that **** won't work again .... have since dealt with very upfront and honest people , there @ssholes usually stop replay after my ultimatum 

and low offers I just ignore , no sense in replying .... it does get tedious when I start to get badgered when I don't reply to said dumb@ss offer

wow, that is such a dick move.  Even if they then took out the full price I would love to be able to tell them to get stuffed

I also think a lot of people don't bother searching, if its not on the first 3 pages, they just think there isn't anything they want available.

I have seen numerous times people putting up wanted ads for something that's for sale on page 5, at a great price.

I wonder if admin has stats on how many people only visit the first 3 pages, how many go through the categories and how many use the search function for classifieds?

Some enthusiastic seller is currently asking R1100 for a slightly used Ultegra 6800 cassette on a FB group. 

That's when I respond with a link to the same item at CRC.

Been looking for a 26mtb for a while at a FAIR price but not readily available anymore or they are sold by the time I get to the laptop.

Slight hi-jack (and I could also quote all the mentions of how 2nd hand bikes are often over-priced in the classifieds) but this is why I am always annoyed when a newbie on here ask what new entry level bike he should buy and all the clever hubbers tell him rather go get yourself a great deal on a 2nd hand 26er in the classifieds.

To be reasonably sure of a great deal on a 2nd hand bike you need to know your stuff and have a lot of time & patience and newbies usually have none of these...

This is exactly what I alluded to in my earlier post which that Shebeen character which lurks here tried to be smart with.

I told the buyer Ill take the R1000 cash and he can EFT the balance. I wanted R1500 for the goods at the time.

My asking price is my asking price, they musnt come to do the deal with less cash in hand in the hope Ill flutter my eyes at some randelas.

Its easier for me to waste their time and tell them to buggeroff and Ill sooner throw the stuff into the bin than give them the feeling of having scored by taking a skelm chance.

I am stubborn like that...