[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2019

Warren Lew

I didn't have a great day...

First CTCT and didn't know what to expect. Came into it undertrained, overweight, unprepared, and only just recovered from a cold...

Went way too hard out the gate... The wind totally fooled me and I just kept trying to hold a wheel to avoid the wind and ended up suffering more than I would have in the wind.

Felt incredibly good in the mild wind on the M5, and only slowed down in fish hoek when we got hit by the headwind...

The rest of my day was survival mode... Crawled up the climbs, cramped twice up chappies but managed to get through suikerbossie without cramping... Then cramped up along seapoint but had to finish..

Started in 5B, ended up probably around 5:15 for my time... Ride time was 4:44 but I had to stop and sort the cramping out...

Honestly, it was a slog, a chore, and I hated the last half... But somehow I'm sure I'll be there again next year!

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What a pleasant experience this morning getting to the starting line. Traffic in was almost nonexistent at 06:30 and getting to my chute was very easy.

I had lekker ride in the wind. 40min slower than last year BUT I did wait quite a bit for my girlfriend.

Being off the bike for 2 weeks with a cold and spending 4hrs on Friday getting a koedoe out the mountains didn't do my legs any favours.

RIP to the cyclist who passed away

I didn't have a great day...

First CTCT and didn't know what to expect. Came into it undertrained, overweight, unprepared, and only just recovered from a cold...

Went way too hard out the gate... The wind totally fooled me and I just kept trying to hold a wheel to avoid the wind and ended up suffering more than I would have in the wind.

Felt incredibly good in the mild wind on the M5, and only slowed down in fish hoek when we got hit by the headwind...

The rest of my day was survival mode... Crawled up the climbs, cramped twice up chappies but managed to get through suikerbossie without cramping... Then cramped up along seapoint but had to finish..

Started in 5B, ended up probably around 5:15 for my time... Ride time was 4:44 but I had to stop and sort the cramping out...

Honestly, it was a slog, a chore, and I hated the last half... But somehow I'm sure I'll be there again next year!

That last half was naar

What a pleasant experience this morning getting to the starting line. Traffic in was almost nonexistent at 06:30 and getting to my chute was very easy.

I had lekker ride in the wind. 40min slower than last year BUT I did wait quite a bit for my girlfriend.

Being off the bike for 2 weeks with a cold and spending 4hrs on Friday getting a koedoe out the mountains didn't do my legs any favours.

RIP to the cyclist who passed away

The second half of that excuse makes the first one redundant!

The OTB was my team mate. Bad road rash and cracked frame. Me and another team mate stopped for him and that was the end of our race in &. Caught A1 eventually and rode back with them. Good thing we did stop though since the ambulance was completely useless. Where in the world do you tell a guy thats laying on his back complaining of back pain to just stand up?? Seriously so over this "race". And how about smaller batches and bigger gaps?? The crash was caused because the tandems caught us and mixed in with the front guys. Bad organization in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh flip, hope your mate is ok! I went into the crash on my front wheel, knew it wasn't going to end well! Also cracked my frame and buckled both wheels, luckily landed in the gravel though so came out with minor scrapes and bruises. Hope the tandem guys are alright, think they might be out for awhile though!

Cavendish was in your group?

But seriously - this indoor training malarky is wonderful, but it breeds cyborgs with qualifying FTPs but zero bunch riding skills. Or even solo riding skills. I stopped being tempted by the big bunch tow a while ago. Can't say I miss it.

Had a Sagan wannabe in my group (2d). Oke went full aero tuck going down Rhodes drive robots into paradise motors section. I don't think Sagzbaby has the balls to do that in the middle of a fun rider bunch

Had a Sagan wannabe in my group (2d). Oke went full aero tuck going down Rhodes drive robots into paradise motors section. I don't think Sagzbaby has the balls to do that in the middle of a fun rider bunch

Not to mention the top-tubers going from the top of Suikerbossie towards the 12 Apostles... if I tried that, there, today, I would have puckered my frame beyond warranty.

Well Done to Everyone who braved the weather.

Scary Stories.

To all the fallen riders, I Hope you all Heal up with cool Scars.

Condolences to the Guy's family who suffered a Heart Attack.

May you ride free.

Edited by F.R.A.I.L. -K

Watched the live stream coverage from the start of the elite batch. Very impressive, and the visual coverage all the way through was brilliant. Odd audio hiccup in the background, and interview timing drags , but really enjoyed the whole thing. Well done to whoever put it together

My wife and myself had an absolute jol well done to the organizers

We were both 5J it was my 2nd time and her 1st we decided to ride together and glad I did because I really enjoyed finishing with her

Saw 2 crashes after cape point because that's a fast section

Sent from my SM-A605F using Tapatalk

The guys that this morning used black bags to keep the wind out, then remove it before the start, please discard of it properly. Had one in my rear at the start which broke hanger and derailleur.

Organizers got the starting order completely wrong with the tandems starting behind the vets 50+.We caught the group in Simonstown and caused chaos and effectively changing the whole race for both bunches. Eventually causing a crash at Misty Cliffs.

We were one of the tandems out today, but have to say it seems that the tandems were out in force. Saw soooo many.

Overall it was a tough race but enjoyed it alot. And the finish tasted just so much sweeter

Sorry for all that were in accidents, have to say we also saw people in earlier groups that were already struggling at UCT so had to wonder which race did they finish to get THAT seeding.

The seeding system is a stuff up. Using the 99er and tdeppa to push PPA members up the start groups was a monumental disaster. Wheel suckers everywhere. MOst we shed on Edinburgh the rest just fell off the back when we hit Smits and we hit it hard. Think I was smashing 52x18 up there (tail wind helps).

But seriously, okes with BMI >24 in 1A.....really??!!!  Get real Racetec. You do them a disservice. Stick to your own seeding rules and stop manipulating the game to capture memberships