[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2019

Warren Lew

Between Windguru and Windy im pretty sure its a repeat of 2017:

- Cycle Tour Trust were already alerted to wind conditions

- Ran ahead with plans as if nothing was wrong, even letting off a couple of groups on the morning

- Stopping the event when the start area under the civic center became unmanageable

- Also $ and % groups had major falls around Blue Route Mall

- Also at the same time a seperate concern around kommetjie part of the course, leading to a route change because of demonstrations and obstructions on the road.

I hope no one quotes you on this pretty sure stance you are taking.

Well, so far the only thing in common that you are stating with 2017 is that there will be wind. . .  The civic center start is gone, and most of the other things you state only happened on the day of the race. . .

So yeah, enjoy your pessimism bro, they said the same thing last year. . .

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I reckon they will just let it go ahead regardless of the weather as they cant deal with the nonsense from 2017.

Before 2017, we never even considered it being cancelled, since then all we do is predict a cancellation. Based on 1 cancellation and 1 shortening, as apparently that created precedent.

Between Windguru and Windy im pretty sure its a repeat of 2017:

So because you are pretty sure after seeing weather sites on the internet the race organisers now have to go ahead and cancel the race 5 days out?

You do realise that the weather forecasts are not set in stone and can still change a lot? Even on the day itself the weather can turn out different to what was predicted or change quickly.

Realistically organisers can only make a final call on the morning of the race and I can promise you the decision has nothing to do with first taking people through the expo, the risk management team take advice from emergency services, city officials and other experts who don't give a crap about the expo. Their only concern is the riders safety.

some weather comparisons

ag ja.

I LOVE all the experts that say they should have cancelled the 2017 event upfront.

Imagine how that would have gone down!

you went to all that effort to copy and past the pics but you got the order wrong!

start with muizies, go clockwise to houtbay.

did a bit of work with the hub search fxn.

CTCT did issue a warning before the race

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/166863-cape-town-cycle-tour-warn-of-strong-winds-on-sunday/?hl=argus

knock your socks out

Here are some screengrabs of precitions from the event thread

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/161799-event-2017-cape-town-cycle-tour-argus/page-96?do=findComment&comment=3082986

post-27827-0-98604300-1489133935.png

post-29277-0-09828500-1489071047.jpg

post-103677-0-67821800-1489069838.png

post-35907-0-20009400-1489056842.png

I just got this mail about the Kommetjie/Ou Kaapse section of the route:

On Sunday 10th March 2019 Cape Town hosts the annual Cape Town Cycle Tour. Part of the route of the tour goes through the Kommetjie Road upgrade project construction zone. In order to ensure that the cyclists have a safe route through this zone a number of interventions will occur over the next few days starting on Friday.

These are:-

·         Setting back of existing black and yellow delineators along sections of Ou Kaapseweg and Noordhoek Road.

·         Removal of the delineators along the middle white barrier line of Ou Kaapseweg between Kommetjie Road and Buller Louw Boulevard;

·         Erection of temporary pedestrian fencing panels along the abovementioned sections to ensure that cyclists do not enter the construction zone;

·         Placement of straw bales at specific locations.

Once the last cyclists have passed through this zone the fencing panels and straw bales will be removed and the delineators replaced late on Sunday afternoon.

Motorists are requested to take care through this zone and to be aware of these short term changes over this period through to Sunday.

Regards,

-        Kommetjie Road upgrade project team

Bunch of pansies. 

The wind in 2009 was way worse than the cancelled event in 2017. Toilets were blown about in the Starting pens/Holding area, a Catering Tent almost landed on a rooftop, cyclist crawled through the "tunnel", but once outside of the funnel of wind, things was manageable, and we completed the race with only one or two cyclist blown of Chappies.  :whistling:

Best of all, there were no prediction of a Black South Easter blowing on that Sunday, and the Monday dawned as calm as can be. 

So now a few fair weather "cyclist" are getting their g-strings in a knot over a long term prediction.

Eat a bag of cement, and HTFU......

You clicked 11am, is that relevant, does it matter what the wind does while you drinking coffee at Bootlegger?

Yes it does, I want to sit outside and see the other people struglling

I rode in 2009 and also in 2011 until it was stopped and I thought 2009 was worse. 

There's no doubt that it's dangerous in wind like that (I'd actually argue that it's more dangerous in the rain), but I'm not sure that I agree with cancelling it completely. Perhaps letting the top x (x to be determined by somebody smart) groups ride, based on the assumption that your seeding could be an indication of your ability on the bike. It would suck for people who can ride well but are seeded badly, but still better than cancelling the event entirely. Or maybe just let whoever wants to ride, ride, we're all adults who agreed to the T&C's. Most noobs will be happier to stay in bed anyway.

Besides, you're being drama queens. It's not going to be as windy as that and I seriously doubt it'll be canceled on account of the wind. Refer to post #847 on this thread. The wind forecast has dropped since that post, and will still drop a little more IMO. Whooplaaa!

I rode in 2009 and also in 2011 until it was stopped and I thought 2009 was worse.

There's no doubt that it's dangerous in wind like that (I'd actually argue that it's more dangerous in the rain), but I'm not sure that I agree with cancelling it completely. Perhaps letting the top x (x to be determined by somebody smart) groups ride, based on the assumption that your seeding could be an indication of your ability on the bike. It would suck for people who can ride well but are seeded badly, but still better than cancelling the event entirely. Or maybe just let whoever wants to ride, ride, we're all adults who agreed to the T&C's. Most noobs will be happier to stay in bed anyway.

Besides, you're being drama queens. It's not going to be as windy as that and I seriously doubt it'll be canceled on account of the wind. Refer to post #847 on this thread. The wind forecast has dropped since that post, and will still drop a little more IMO. Whooplaaa!

Have you ever being involved in the planning of a major event ?

Terms and conditions mean nothing when theres an incident or a death

Sent from my SM-A605F using Tapatalk

Have you ever being involved in the planning of a major event ?

Terms and conditions mean nothing when theres an incident or a death

Sent from my SM-A605F using Tapatalk

Surely you ride at your own risk? What if it rains and people die from crashing, how is it different to crashing because of the wind? How windy is windy enough to make it CTCT's fault and has that benchmark dropped since 2009?