[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2019

Warren Lew

.........Its my first time so I cannot wait! Plan is to get well fit enough to able to enjoy and not bleed through it to the end. 

.......it's my umpteenth time so I cannot wait! Plan is to get well fit enough to able to enjoy and not bleed through it to the end. ;) 

Just kidding.  

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I entered myself no hassles. Later I entered my boet from my mobile. still no hassles. At least their IT guys have things sorted. In both cases the confirmation emails dropped immediately.

As an added bonus to get things going, tomorrow we are heading out over Chapmans from the Waterfront and back again as preparation for Karoo to Coast in 2 weeks time.

Good times indeed.

Entered. Hassle free as well using my mobile and got email confirmation.

In prior years your initial entry was preliminary with the final confirmation around Feb the following year. Is this still the case or is the email I received today final confirmation?

Yeah. I'm in. #FOMO. 

Probably going to give in should I get the 2nd lap option. It should be a bit easier next year as I have recently upgraded my 1x8 road bike to a 1x9 setup. Well, let's first see how One Tonner goes. 

Sitting it out next year, after having an awesome one this year. Awesome as in not having a good time, but as in a good day's riding in wonderfull weather. My son improved his time with about 90 minutes, and I did my 3rd best time ever. However, main reason for sitting out is my eldest son's wife is expecting their first end of December, so my riding partner will not be able to go down. And, it's a DAMN expensive excercise for us here up north! ±R10K for a couple of days in the Cape is forcing us to limit how often we can go down for the World Funride Championship. :D

Sitting it out next year, after having an awesome one this year. Awesome as in not having a good time, but as in a good day's riding in wonderfull weather. My son improved his time with about 90 minutes, and I did my 3rd best time ever. However, main reason for sitting out is my eldest son's wife is expecting their first end of December, so my riding partner will not be able to go down. And, it's a DAMN expensive excercise for us here up north! ±R10K for a couple of days in the Cape is forcing us to limit how often we can go down for the World Funride Championship. :D

I feel you man, and having no cheap flight options without going to Joburg, it makes the time spent there shorter with the ride down as well.

I feel you man, and having no cheap flight options without going to Joburg, it makes the time spent there shorter with the ride down as well.

What happened to the "Argus Train" that they used to have. From what I recall the railways made up a whole train filled with bicycles and riders and it used to be a huge and very enjoyable party all the way to Slaapstad and back. I supposed it got canned together with a whole bunch of other excellent ideas. See link below.

https://www.bikehub.co.za/features/_/sponsored/train-tour-to-2016-%E2%80%98argus%E2%80%99-%E2%80%93-jo%E2%80%99burg-to-cape-town-r3889

What happened to the "Argus Train" that they used to have. From what I recall the railways made up a whole train filled with bicycles and riders and it used to be a huge and very enjoyable party all the way to Slaapstad and back. I supposed it got canned together with a whole bunch of other excellent ideas. See link below.

https://www.bikehub.co.za/features/_/sponsored/train-tour-to-2016-%E2%80%98argus%E2%80%99-%E2%80%93-jo%E2%80%99burg-to-cape-town-r3889

Think it is still operational, but not an "exclusive" Argus train anymore. Other passengers are also on train, service levels dropped quite a bit, and it lost a lot of popularity. 

See the JB Tours website, Johan used to arrange these trains through Shosholoza Meyl.

Think it is still operational, but not an "exclusive" Argus train anymore. Other passengers are also on train, service levels dropped quite a bit, and it lost a lot of popularity. 

See the JB Tours website, Johan used to arrange these trains through Shosholoza Meyl.

I have done the JB Train tours thing too in the past, and it was AWESOME! I met people on that trip that I still keep in contact with. But, that too has become a very expensive option, and the travel dates and arrival times were not to everybody's liking. You arrive in CT on the Saturday afternoon somewhere between 14:00 - 15:00 in the afternoon, so you have no or little time to go to the expo. Then the train departs back to JHB later that week on the Wedneday or Thursday. you have a lot of free time after the race, but none before the race.

The last time I enquired about these tours, it worked out cheaper to fly down on something like a Kulula package deal that included flights, accomodation and car rental. This year's deal was ±R6500 for both me and my son, which wasn't too bad, and we stayed about 1,5km away from the start. If you shop around well in advance, you can get some good deals. We booked this trip about 7 months in advance.

Hi

My wife and I would like to get a seeding time before 9AM for next year's event.

Does anyone know what seeding/index we should aim for to achieve this.

I.E. can someone who started around 9AM let us know what their seeding/index was for the race.

Thanks

Business opportunity knocking for someone with a nice big truck.

Or someone taking bikes down. Tow the trailer with a bus! Take me AND my bike down! Pleaaaase. Given that you are charging R1000 per bike and making a profit, imagine if you could sell 10 seats as well at no real additional cost.

Hi

My wife and I would like to get a seeding time before 9AM for next year's event.

I.E. can someone who started around 9AM let us know what their seeding/index was for the race.

Thanks

Guess about PPA group of W-X .. basicly finish any seeding event and be ok

Hi

Thanks

Not sure all I can say I think I was seeded on a 55, and that gave me a start time in 2018 of before 8.