Mont Marie Closed... Thanks chop

Reme Le Hane

Chops. So now all of us who are not Stav@ssholes are suspects....

I'm not a suspect but I am a Strav@sshole.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Heard a lot of stories about that, I accidentally went off trails on one of the wannabees farms, but that was a marking issue and when I got home I mailed them and sent them my strava link so they could figure out where the signage was off based on my random wondering.

The amount of posts I see on the wannabees page is also shocking riders going off route, ridding past houses at early hours talking loudly and then being rude to land owners when confronted, they really seem to not get that our boards are a privilege which gives us specific access and is not some all access everyone be damned pass.

Its not like a little respect and decency ever killed anyone.

I reckon a paintball gun and some election ink would solve a lot of these problems. Explain that purple brown mark to your riding buddies or LBS for 2 or 3 weeks...

I reckon a paintball gun and some election ink would solve a lot of these problems. Explain that purple brown mark to your riding buddies or LBS for 2 or 3 weeks...

Great idea, that will be abused instantly.

Invites all friends to game of pain all, loads election ink into all rounds in my gun only... [emoji23]

So.... shooting of on a tangent here:

Firstly, find the rogue rider and flame him/her. People need to feel consequences for breaking rules/laws.

2ndly: Those trails are nowhere near where I am, but if it was, and I was fearful of it being closed permanently... I would phone up the owner and claim that it was me that rode there rogue and that I am very sorry...... this would obviously only work if the owner doesn't know the identity of the rogue rider, which I assume he doesn't.

I know the perp would be getting away without owning up, but the owner would feel acknowledged by the cycling community and he would have gotten his apology. The cycling community would also have their favourite trails back....

Just a thought. Plenty of wrong in my approach, but would you rather lose the trails permanently? (Granted I don't know what the owner would do if he found out someone else just apologized to just open the trails again. Starting to sound like a dumb idea....)

Think you might be on to something here.....

How about a small "petition" type letter from all hubbers (also left at bike shops in Stellies) to hand over to land owner. distancing ourselves from the behaviour of a few idiots/chops and asserting our gratitude for free use of land and commitment to abiding by rules and keeping others in line. A few hundred signatures will demonstrate we are more than the behaviour of one/few.

The above backed up with a "build" day to be organised, where everyone willing/able just pitches up with a real pitch fork and digs in  :clap:  :thumbup:  

Think you might be on to something here.....

How about a small "petition" type letter from all hubbers (also left at bike shops in Stellies) to hand over to land owner. distancing ourselves from the behaviour of a few idiots/chops and asserting our gratitude for free use of land and commitment to abiding by rules and keeping others in line. A few hundred signatures will demonstrate we are more than the behaviour of one/few.

The above backed up with a "build" day to be organised, where everyone willing/able just pitches up with a real pitch fork and digs in  :clap:  :thumbup:  

This sounds awesome. I more than keep to give back. Love that trails. Totally gutted that we cant ride it anymore

Those tracks look suspiciously like those wider tyres on eBike. The riding of closed trails, also seems to point to an ex-golfer attitude.

comment removed, read like a muppet again

I know of a certain ou toppie riding his ebike that side. Ran into him plenty times rididing there after work

Edited by Otero

Slightly off topic, where are all the people now that normally shout "mind your own business"?

This behavior start with our fellow hubber that text and drive, skip read lights while cycling etc.

Then they want us to say nothing about it, but when this happens they also have the pitchforks out.

If you ignore the road rules, etc it is easy to ignore closed trails, because the SA mentality is that if I can get away without being caught it has nothing to do with you!

Sadly your post are just TOO close to the truth of what we see on the trails, and enroute to the trails.

Saturday I am coaching two kids at Bloemendal .... another adult shows older kids how to wheelie .... He notes that the one kid does not have his helmet on, but continues his lesson.  FORGET the risk to the kid, just for one moment.  WHAT message is this adult sending out to all the other kids ???   :wacko:   :thumbdown:

I am trying to teach Maritz to use lights on his bike, when he rides on rides on tar roads ... yet half of the riders we encounter to the trails dont have lights on their bikes....  BUT, last time I mentioned that in a thread, I was told in no uncertain terms : "What business is that of yours?"

Yet, we are expected to raise the next generation "properly" ... despite the glaring example set by our fellow riders ....

THANKFULLY, 99% of the behaviour we see "on the trails" are good  :thumbup:

From MM FB:

Maintenance has been suspended and the trails will be closed indefinitely. Riders through on the first day of maintenance. The damage is insignificant, but the disrespect enormous. This seems to be the trend now in Stellenbosch. Other areas suffer the same fate regularly, but builders and organisers are often helpless as the trails are built on public land. Ours is on private property however and privileges have been suspended until further notice. Any riders/runners will be treated as trespassers. Should the transgressors contact me privately and apologise trails may be opened again. No naming and shaming here - just an honest apology. There will also not be any further discussion on the matter in social media.

https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fmontmarietrails%2Fposts%2F606182929893539&width=500

61923319_606176006560898_698695717827588

I just though of something. There is another way to get onto gutted baboon along the top of the trail. There is a route splitting off to the left as you approach this entrance taht takes you back towards eden and up above the tree line.. Was that route closed off / marked as close also?

Oh cry me a river... on the other side of Stellenbosch there's land invasions and farmers getting shot but here we're concerned about one oke riding on a half built trail... let's get real peeps, there's bigger things to worry about in this country.

Then get off the BikeHub and go do something about it.

Oh cry me a river... on the other side of Stellenbosch there's land invasions and farmers getting shot but here we're concerned about one oke riding on a half built trail... let's get real peeps, there's bigger things to worry about in this country.

You don't grasp the seriousness of this. If someone is riding on a piece of land they are not supposed to ride they are just as guilty as those ones who are guilty of land invasions. Both are examples of TRESPASSING.

I fully agree. Yet we still need to respect the landowner, who gives us access to his property, free of charge. If we can't respect his rules or request, how much better as we than the land grabbers?

It all comes down to the entitlement epidemic sweeping through the country