Cape Town Cycle Tour 2020

Long Wheel Base

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The timeline doesn't make sense to me.

Friend in 1K(06:37 start time) also got this mail.. So he'll have to do a effing good sub 3 from 1K, get back to the startline, find a start group chute, all before 09:30?? Never happening.

even with a 06h20 start time its touch and go to get to the last start group by 9h30. If the weather is great then a 2h50 is on the cards giving me 20min...

Current forecast shows a 20-35km/hr SE making a 2h55 to 2h59 most likely leaving 10-15min.

thats touching cloth.

Nah not worth it. Will just chill at post race hospitality and maybe cycle home once the M3 is opened.

Or go and hang at the Virgin Active and check out the marshmellow smoothies

Which reminds me, time for a weather update:

Wind: S 15 km/h

Wind Gusts: 32 km/h

Humidity: 87%

Dew Point: 17° C

Cloud Cover: 77%

Visibility: 10 km

Probability of Precipitation: 0%

Precipitation: 0.0 mm

Rain: 0.0 mm

Snow: 0.0 cm

Ice: 0.0 mm

Edited by DieselnDust

The timeline doesn't make sense to me.

Friend in 1K(06:37 start time) also got this mail.. So he'll have to do a effing good sub 3 from 1K, get back to the startline, find a start group chute, all before 09:30?? Never happening.

Last time i did twice the start groups was running late , so when i got back the 3rd last bunch just started leaving and think my time was 3:10, so its doable.

Edited by Karman de Lange

Last time i did twice the start groups was running late , so when i got back the 3rd last bunch just started leaving and think my time was 3:10, so its doable.

I think I'll enter for the 2nd lap and then just wing it on the day.

They really should keep the start for 2nd lap riders open until 10. The M3 is closed until 12h30 and everybody would catch those back markers before Bishops Court so it really doesn't make a difference.

That's correct.. It was absolutely howling last night and early this morning. Currently still blowing..

I rode there a few weekends back and the wind was howling then too. I came up from Houtbay side, and as I crested over the top, I passed a bloke who mumbled something to me in the wind which I could not quite hear. It kept bothering me on my way to the "tunnel" until I started noticing the fist sized stones in the road. I promptly stopped and went back the way I came. As I crested again at the lookout point, there was a lady sitting in the road holding onto her bicycle. I am guessing the gusts were approximating 90 - 100 kph at the time. I very nearly got blown over myself. It was a moment of clarity that I would rather not ride there when the wind is howling like that.

I received an interesting email yesterday from CTCT indicating that we can ride a second lap for an additional entry fee of R550. I'm all for charity and contributing, but this is plain GREED... Oh, I wasn't intending to ride the additional lap anyway, but surely there needs to be a bit of fairness in the approach.

I have no issue in paying an additional fee for a second lap if I were to ride it, but the second lap is far cheaper for them as they do not:

1. provide double hospitality
2. print additional numbers and other registration material
3. cater for additional admin at registration
4. provide additional infrastructure is needed
5. hire additional staff to cater for the second lap (since this is only open for relatively fast riders, so will finish within the normal cut-offs, which is a condition anyway)
6. incur many other costs which are only incurred related to the individual and not the second lap

Surely they should apply some fair play here and charge a discounted rate for the second lap and I am sure that they would get more takers. In this environment where event entries are on a serious decline (still available for CTCT recently, where in the past these sold out on day 1) and the premium price charged already of R550 per entry, this is plainly greedy.

Maybe it's just me overthinking this...

I received an interesting email yesterday from CTCT indicating that we can ride a second lap for an additional entry fee of R550. I'm all for charity and contributing, but this is plain GREED... Oh, I wasn't intending to ride the additional lap anyway, but surely there needs to be a bit of fairness in the approach.

I have no issue in paying an additional fee for a second lap if I were to ride it, but the second lap is far cheaper for them as they do not:

1. provide double hospitality
2. print additional numbers and other registration material
3. cater for additional admin at registration
4. provide additional infrastructure is needed
5. hire additional staff to cater for the second lap (since this is only open for relatively fast riders, so will finish within the normal cut-offs, which is a condition anyway)
6. incur many other costs which are only incurred related to the individual and not the second lap

Surely they should apply some fair play here and charge a discounted rate for the second lap and I am sure that they would get more takers. In this environment where event entries are on a serious decline (still available for CTCT recently, where in the past these sold out on day 1) and the premium price charged already of R550 per entry, this is plainly greedy.

Maybe it's just me overthinking this...

Yip.

Been discussed here many times and although you not in the minority in your thinking, you not going to win. I guess they do it because they can.