Second hand super-bikes

reflexus

If you owned a R30 bar house in Camps Bay. Why would you drive a Porsche Cayenne

I don't think it's about performance gains. If you own a 30 bar house in Camps Bay and your daily driver is a Porsche Cayenne Turbo Why would you ride a 30k Giant TCR?

Let's just be clear here guys ... a 30 bar house in Camps Bay does not really get you much for your money

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I ride a quite high end bike, well over 100k+, got the frame secondhand and built it up for about a third of what my insurance valuated its replacement value.

Do i have the skill/fitness to warrent such an expensive kitted out rig? Short answer, No. But do I enjoy riding it? Hell yes.

Worked my way up from bmx's, cheap mtb, and untill this time last year, still rode a 2008 26er mongoose teocali

Is it a status symbol to own my rig? No. All i can say, its is lightyears ahead of any bike i owned before, it boosted my skill and fitness levels since I got it, because i want to spend every possible moment on it.

Different strokes for different folks. Some people spend their money on cars, other on booze and woman. Some of us just like nice bikes

Edited by Otero

Sounds like a good decision to me.  Spend money on investment and not toys. 

When you have a diverse portfolio of investments and shares. A few properties, vehicles and in some cases... wives. You may find yourself in a position where the most sensible thing to do really is to buy the most ridiculously priced sled out there. Even those of us who live seemingly comfortably, with more disposable income than your average joe. Still can't comprehend what its really like to be absurdly wealthy. To have so much stuff and so much money that its actually hard to find things you want to spend it on. 

Most knee jerk reactions to crazy purchases go a little something like:

'That's crazy. Even if I could afford it I wouldn't.'

Or so you think. To put things in perspective.

This handbag sold for a whopping R3mil last year

Now if you were Jeff Bezos. At his last recorded forbes net worth (and some of skollie's quick math) He could buy over 500,000 bags like those. Imagine the pressure that man feels when his anniversary comes up. McKenzie must be like: 'Is this what you think of me? I'm not some smelly pirate hooker Jeff. Spend some money you cheap slut. Its our anniversary jeez.' 

No wonder they got divorced.

Edited by popcorn_skollie

But should that R100k bike really cost that much or a R60k bike for that matter or are we being taken for a ride???

I suppose that is a matter for another day.

But should that R100k bike really cost that much or a R60k bike for that matter or are we being taken for a ride???

Well... putting one of these next to an engine powered super-bike, I can’t see how the costs can be justified...

We as consumers have created that monster.

the have's just buy and the have not's will finance and buy.

When you have a diverse portfolio of investments and shares. A few properties, vehicles and in some cases... wives. You may find yourself in a position where the most sensible thing to do really is to buy the most ridiculously priced sled out there. Even those of us who live seemingly comfortably, with more disposable income than your average joe. Still can't comprehend what its really like to be absurdly wealthy. To have so much stuff and so much money that its actually hard to find things you want to spend it on. 

Most knee jerk reactions to crazy purchases go a little something like:

'That's crazy. Even if I could afford it I wouldn't.'

Or so you think. To put things in perspective.

This handbag sold for a whopping R3mil last year

Now if you were Jeff Bezos. At his last recorded forbes net worth (and some of skollie's quick math) He could buy over 500,000 bags like those. Imagine the pressure that man feels when his anniversary comes up. McKenzie must be like: 'Is this what you think of me? I'm not some smelly pirate hooker Jeff. Spend some money you cheap slut. Its our anniversary jeez.' 

No wonder they got divorced.

We have some hard working friends.  Their properties in SA that I know of is 45 Bar (2 houses).  They talk about more property they have in the UK and Greece.

AND, apart from the movie theatre and the wine-cellar and, and, and, they live fairly modest lives.  He drives an 8 year old C class, she a 5 years old 320d, and their toy is an 8 year old Z4.

Solid marriage...