Cape Town Cycle Tour 2021

Chingy182

Tour de PPA and the 99er, I just emailed them not expecting much. PPA refunded me fully and 99er partially. By the way when the stellies tour was cancelled I was one of the few saying to the people asking for a refund to get over it, an entry isn't that much money if you consider what you put in your bike yearly.

But I find ironical that when you ask for a refund so long before a race that is usually sold out they don't even answer. They could have said yes or no or here's how you transfer it to someone else but I had to try like I did with the others. Anyways, the subjet of my first post is that it's funny asking to pay early to support them when they are the only ones who seem to not refund you when you have a valid reason not to be there... Well no, I'm not gonna pay early.

Thanks the arm is sorted, a bit sore on XC type of rides but road / marathon mtb absolutely fine ????

Edited by Jbr

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

..........Thanks the arm is sorted, a bit sore on XC type of rides but road / marathon mtb absolutely fine

:thumbup: That sounds like me the year before. I missed the 2019 one and rode the 2020 one with a bit of a weak & sore arm still, so I am really looking forward to being up to full strength in 2021. I also won't rush to enter, but whatever happens, of one thing I am sure: On the due date I will be riding around the peninsula, with or without the CTCT.

:thumbup: That sounds like me the year before. I missed the 2019 one and rode the 2020 one with a bit of a weak & sore arm still, so I am really looking forward to being up to full strength in 2021. I also won't rush to enter, but whatever happens, of one thing I am sure: On the due date I will be riding around the peninsula, with or without the CTCT.

I thought of putting 28mm tyres on my bike to absorb more of the road but the surgeon strongly advised against it and so did many of my friends knowing how close the racing can get on this event. I was so bummed to have to miss it. Hopefully this year is going to be good!

I thought of putting 28mm tyres on my bike to absorb more of the road but the surgeon strongly advised against it and so did many of my friends knowing how close the racing can get on this event. I was so bummed to have to miss it. Hopefully this year is going to be good!

If 28mm tyres will fit into your frame, just do it! The extra comfort is always good.

If 28mm tyres will fit into your frame, just do it! The extra comfort is always good.

No I meant at the time when I was considering still racing the CTCT as I broke my arm exactly 8 weeks before the race, the 28mm would have made it more manageable but it was wiser to just sit this one out and take the extra recovery time. I was back on Zwift a week after the injury but started cycling again only 12 weeks after... Hopefully I stop going to the hospital twice a year from now on, it would be nice to have a full season one day ;)

Edited by Jbr

all the other events I entered refunded me, they could have just answered saying it's in the T&Cs and I would have organised sooner to give it to someone else, I've waited for an answer for so long that in the end it was too late to give it away. And of course I did not read the T&C's

I'll enter last minute this time.

ok well here's a headsup for the argus cycle tour in future.

1)it's a charity fundraising event, so no refunds.

2)if you can't do the race, then you can substitute to someone else and they need to pay again anyway, so you can't really sell/give your ticket away.

3)if you think #2 is unfair, then reread #1

ok well here's a headsup for the argus cycle tour in future.

1)it's a charity fundraising event, so no refunds.

2)if you can't do the race, then you can substitute to someone else and they need to pay again anyway, so you can't really sell/give your ticket away.

3)if you think #2 is unfair, then reread #1

To add to this, if you are caught riding under someone else's name/entry it will result in a lifetime ban from funride world champs for both of you.

not that i'm condoning it in anyway, but lets be honest...you'll probably only get caught riding with someone else's number if you have a serious enough crash to warrant intervention, finish in the top 100 or something after being seeded in 6F (read it as give your elite friend your transponder) or legitimately finish in the top 100. They couldn't care less what goes on in anything that starts after the 2's imo lol. I think there are MANY people who ride as substitutes every year in the back groups without following the proper/official channels.  

If I'm correct there is an official way of doing the substitute thing, it's just that they closed it just before I actually wanted to do it. I didn't know it was a charity event or that if I was to find a substitute they would have to pay again.

I didn't research any of that because I didn't really care all I wanted at the time was to race. Then I sent an email just to try and get a refund, to be honest I thought all 3 events would give me the same answer (no) and was pleasantly surprised to get refunds here and there... I still believe it doesn't cost much to just answer an email even if it's just to say no sorry we don't do that.

Anyways, thanks for all the info and hopefully see you at CTCT in 2021 !

Edited by Jbr

If I'm correct there is an official way of doing the substitute thing, it's just that they closed it just before I actually wanted to do it. I didn't know it was a charity event or that if I was to find a substitute they would have to pay again.

I didn't research any of that because I didn't really care all I wanted at the time was to race. Then I sent an email just to try and get a refund, to be honest I thought all 3 events would give me the same answer (no) and was pleasantly surprised to get refunds here and there... I still believe it doesn't cost much to just answer an email even if it's just to say no sorry we don't do that.

Anyways, thanks for all the info and hopefully see you at CTCT in 2021 !

you've probably spent more time on this thread than it would have taken to just go read it up on their website.

https://www.capetowncycletour.com/lifecycle-week/ctct/race-entries/substitutions/

ja sure they should have replied to you, but the reply have been what is in that url anyway.

Interesting reading about the T&C's ....

Most other events we have done have had a "charity side to it".  Typically noted in the pre-event communication, and then again mentioned at the post-event podiums.  And yet most of these have a refund policy, especially for medical reasons.

O-well, we live and learn ....

I'm coming with

So, will it or won't it happen???????

attachicon.gifCapture.PNG

I was just wondering the same this morning when I  got that annual September nervous feeling that the 94.7 is also now around the corner. I wonder if we will ride Joburg  this year but I cannot imagine that the 2021 Argus will be affected by the remnants of the teacupstorm.

you've probably spent more time on this thread than it would have taken to just go read it up on their website.

https://www.capetowncycletour.com/lifecycle-week/ctct/race-entries/substitutions/

ja sure they should have replied to you, but the reply have been what is in that url anyway.

You seem to be a very angry person hey, chill, it's friday

I didn't insult them or their families, I just sent an email saying exactly that :

Hey, I fell at the end of my recon for the 99er and suffered a double fractured forearm so I am not going to be able to attend any of the races I entered (Already cancelled the 99er and tour the PPA, I was hoping to be cleared for the CTCT but surgeon says no way), any chance I can get a refund for medical reasons ?

Cheers,

JB

So to come back to your initial comment "It's some poor person's actual job to deal with crap like this." Well yes ! It is some person's job, and they didn't do it.

Guess what, I have way worse crap in my bikehub inbox than that and I still answer it...most of it  :ph34r:  :ph34r: 

Edited by Jbr