2020 Cape Epic Cancelled

News bot

As a local MTB I feel so sorry for all the riders who looked forward to this challenge. If you want to discover some of the best local tracks please send me a pm and I will guide you around. ????

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope to see full refunds and free entries for 2021 to everyone who entered for 2020.

From an event that charges volunteers? That money is long gone. Won’t be surprised if they charge everyone a cancellation fee.

Is all Epic Entries sponsored or does individuals take r80k to r100k out of their OWN bank account to do a race?

Asking for a friend

If the decision was entirely up to the Cape Epic the show would have go on but unfortunately there is other role players involved and without their thumbs up there is nothing we can do.

Some comments here are naive and ignorant - overreacting? People are dying and the rate of attrition is increasing

And don’t give the stats on other medical killers - this covid 19 is over and above that.

The internationals who stay around to tour may find they can’t get home in 2 weeks - borders are being shut

Erring on the side of caution is is the only option

I’d love to be wrong but understand people are dying of something that didn’t exist a few months ago

This affects everyone because whilst you may not get ill, you will face financial repercussions down the line

Is all Epic Entries sponsored or does individuals take r80k to r100k out of their OWN bank account to do a race?

Asking for a friend

Many do pay out of their own pocket ...

Some comments here are naive and ignorant - overreacting? People are dying and the rate of attrition is increasing

And don’t give the stats on other medical killers - this covid 19 is over and above that.

The internationals who stay around to tour may find they can’t get home in 2 weeks - borders are being shut

I’d love to be wrong but understand people are dying of something that didn’t exist a few months ago

This affects everyone because whilst you may not get ill, you will face financial repercussions down the line

Can't agree more.

What makes sense is that people like the NICD are in contact with the organisers of these events and they have been doing all of these discussions behind closed doors to avoid mass panic.

There is no way that this decision was taken by the organisers themselves, they stand to lose allot with this cancellation. It is powers above them that has made them do this.

Spend time with your loved ones, we are in for a bumpy ride, whatever happens next.

agree. people seem very entitled. The cancelled events suck and might seem like over reactions at this stage with the cycle tour happening just a week ago.....but what a lot of people seem to be ignorant to is that these events are being postponed because none of the sponsors/event organisers want to risk being the ones held accountable should their event be pinpointed as an epicentre of an outbreak, because they were to precious or proud to cancel it.

At this stage no one knows....it could just be totally over blown or it could be way worse. Best bet is to play it safe - most probably as per the recommendation from local health departments. 

it is alo imo not necessarily the scare of the virus itself causing all this but rather the worry of the strain it will place on the health system shouldit get out of hand.

if 100k+ people catch it bad and get pneumonia , and need beds in icu...what happens to all the other people with way worse things going on than some 'overhyped' flue?

They need to take all this into consideration.

WAY bigger things are getting cancelled all around the world than some 'silly' mtb race or triathlon. at this stage i'll put a bet on the Olympics being next....hell, the torch wont even make it around the globe.

I wonder if the decision was influenced by a lot of pro teams pulling out?

Epic has massive media coverage, without the top teams the viewer ratings might have gone down?.

Overreacting IMO. The riders should have been asked if they want to ride or not - not make a decision for them. #paybackthemoney

So say they gave the riders the option, 75% percent of the riders continued to risk it. They feel strong, don't have symptoms and no one came from Italy.

That's 750 riders , with all the support staff going with it, let's thumbsuck and say 250, that's 1000 people living in close proximity for 8 days. But 30 of those riders were asymptomatic carriers who got infected on the plane en route to cape town. Now they go and ride their hearts out for 8 days, suppress their immune systems, some are so tired that they neglect hygiene a bit. So those 30 carriers become 45 carriers. But all are asymptomatic. Afterwards they go home, or spend another week in Cape Town, maybe to Mzolis, or do a township tour.

10days after Epic that rider start showing symptoms. Phone the hotline and get a test at home. Positive. Self quarantine, because he is sick, but not enough to warrant hospitalisation.

So now the trace starts. The NICD now has 1000 first line contacts to follow up on, but those 1000 went home to families, their kids went to school, they went shopping, rode on public transport. And the NICD still has to go to mzolis.

Now if yiu think this is unlikely, the Epic has a history or riders with diarrhea. The riders can't even maintain basic hygiene to prevent a spread of gypo guts.

Do you still think it's an over reaction?