Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

I liked your post because it gives me slightly more confidence to do the commute.

I must admit, I was on the road last night (in the car) between 17:30 and 18:30 and was getting a little apprehensive about the darkness.

But what you and ChrisF say about being more visible makes sense.

My friends used to joke that that the air traffic controllers at Lanseria Airport had to phone me to dim my lights as the pilots were getting confused.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the twilight that's not great for visibility. Lights are important but equally and in daylight and twilight conditions, both reflective and fluro / lumo colours for commuters. In twilight many motorists don't have their lights on and reflective clothing then is not effective. 

My friends used to joke that that the air traffic controllers at Lanseria Airport had to phone me to dim my lights as the pilots were getting confused.

On my commuter I have two flashing red lights at the back.

Another flashing red light on the right side of the bike.

Two white lights facing forward.  When it is dark one is "on", and the other "flashing", when it is light outside both are on "flashing mode.

and one of those YELLOW jackets  :whistling:

I liked your post because it gives me slightly more confidence to do the commute.

I must admit, I was on the road last night (in the car) between 17:30 and 18:30 and was getting a little apprehensive about the darkness.

But what you and ChrisF say about being more visible makes sense.

One of the best ways to be visible in the dark is to fit a small light or reflective tape around your right ankle . That moving light is a must see.

For the back of the bike it really helps to have a flashing white and a flashing red light rather than just red, way more visible and catches the eye easier

Sorry to go off abit topic but with all the recent muggings I’ve heard about. Would you guys consider it ethical to ride with someone ,or maybe two people (all riding with masks)?

I wouldn't stone you for it, my opinion is that the mask is the most important thing, the rest meh.. you end up breathing the same air as 100 of maskless runners every morning so sitting in your mates slipstream whose wearing a mask surely isn't ideal but probably doesn't make much of a difference...

I never actually organised meetups but I did happen once to meet a friend during my ride and we did a bit of the road together. I'm assuming this isn't an organised group :D

One of the best ways to be visible in the dark is to fit a small light or reflective tape around your right ankle . That moving light is a must see.

I bought some of that reflective yellow and white tape you get on mining PPE etc and added some velcro to it and strap these bands around my ankles if I am out at night...

Dischem believe it or not, sell reflective yellow anklets for R10.

I bought some of that reflective yellow and white tape you get on mining PPE etc and added some velcro to it and strap these bands around my ankles if I am out at night...

Agreed, I need some dirt under my tires!

Looking up at Helderberg each day, not being able to ride there is heart breaking

Yissie I need some Jonkers in my life right now. There are some cracks appearing in some of my relationships. In particular the one with my cartoon guy in Zwift.

Edited by Jako De Wet

Yissie I need some Jonkers in my life right now. There are some cracks appearing in some of my relationships. In particular the one with my cartoon guy in Zwift.

Agreed. Jonkers Conters Tokai TBM any dirt will do. I find this road riding mind numbingly dull.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, think I’ll pick up some of that reflective stuff from dischem.

I also have an anklet light thingy that I got at the discovery stand at 947 expo, was never really bright but maybe I must check if a fresh battery will sort it out.

Also, still need to convince the wife that it’s not such a bad idea.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, think I’ll pick up some of that reflective stuff from dischem.

I also have an anklet light thingy that I got at the discovery stand at 947 expo, was never really bright but maybe I must check if a fresh battery will sort it out.

Also, still need to convince the wife that it’s not such a bad idea.

How safe is the route that you need to take?

On the rear light thing, I recently shelled out for a Garmin Varia light. I thought it was expensive but that I’d give it a try anyway.

I’ve been really surprised with how well the radar works (zero cars missed) and it’s made such a difference as I ride the country roads.

Before I was constantly looking behind me when I thought I heard a car (was wrong most of the time) and now it tells me.

I love it.