Backyard Bike Checks: Show Your Bike Some Love and Win

Bike Hub Features

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My Mercer Gangly Gibbon!

The perfect Cape Town trail bike with 140mm front and 120mm rear travel but I've overdorked  it to 160mm/120mm at times.

South Industries Wheels

Lyne Components Bar, Stem and Dropper

Csixx 28t chainring (and their rad topcap has been used as a custom chainguide.

Maxxis Double Down Agressor 2.3 (28psi)on the back (with vittoria airliner insert)

Assegai  grip 2.5(23. 5psi) 

DVO Topaz shock at 160psi (no Tokens) with bladder at 190psi. Rebound 3 clicks from fastest.

DVO Diamond fork at 90psi, Rebound 10 clicks from max. OTT 8 revolutions from min.

SRAM code brakes and 11sp Drivetrain

Two waterbottle cages  :thumbup:

Head angle of about 65.7 degrees, 

Reach 475mm 

Chain stays 430mm

Seat angle around 73 degrees. 

This bike has taken me to many incredible trails and has given me so much happiness  :wub:

post-6207-0-51406300-1586179916_thumb.jpg

post-6207-0-64696600-1586179925_thumb.jpg

post-6207-0-75063000-1586180032_thumb.jpg

My Fireeye Funseeker Steel Frame All Mountain

Octane one 27.5 Solar Wheel sets laced to Novatec hubs

Shimano Xt 10 speed rear derailleur and shifter

IXF chinese Cranks

Blackspire Beavertail chain guide and bash gaurd

Octane One Belter Pedals

Xfusion Sweep set at 140mm

ABR Stem

Octane One Chemical Bars, 760mm wide

Brand X Saddle

Formula R1 Brakes 200m rotor front and 180mm rear

Lizard Skin North Shore Grips, nice and chunky at 33mm diameter.

The saddle evens out when the seatpost is higher.

I Posted my whole Story a week before lock-down, so some of you might have seen it.. (Stolen) no bike for the best part of summer then as soon as I got a new one, the boss of the world says "LOCKDOWN" 

I cant tell you how badly I want to take this baby down Red Phoenix !

The story goes...

My bike was stolen in the early hours of the morning on black Friday 2019, never to be seen again. However, since it was stolen from my house "Santa"m came to the party and paid out an amount I could put a fairly descent bike together with If I shopped around cleverly.

As it turns out, every part has a unique story in where they came from or how they came to be that both makes the build more special because of what I managed to put together for the price, and, the mission I went through getting them. 

Every part had a story

• Fork - RS Revelation (150mm debonair) now Pike from bikehubSA. Then when I traveled to the UK in Feb, I picked up a Charger 2 RCT3 damper on e-bay UK and brought It home with me.  
  • Frame - ICAN P9 /Evolve Alpha 150mm Ex China, Snuck this out there hours before Chinese Lockdown.
  • RS Deluxe RT3 bought new from Ukraine Ebay
  • SRAM GX Eagle group set (Bikehub)
  • ECC hubs (bought for a bargain from a local kid who tried servicing the hub himself, incorrectly installing a bearing and doomed the hubs bust, took me 30mins and they were good as new) on Rapide TR30 rims, built myself.
  • Shimano deore brakes (Still need a 180mm rotor for the back) + Pedals bikehub 
  • Lyne Components:
  • -Pulse Carbon 35Di bars bikehub
  • -Pulse 55mm Stem Stoke
  • -170 Contour dropper bought from a buddy
  • Maxxis 29x2.5' Aggressor + 2.5' DHF exo+ Stoke

Since it took me months to receive all the parts, I opted to build the bike myself. Took muuch longer than anticipated but in the end, apart from the BB, there were no issues. 

PS. Excuse the water bottle, I had to got a side entry and the pink one of my wife's bike was all that fitted for the first ride but that's now sorted.

I now have 3 photos :)

post-1279-0-41031600-1586247428_thumb.jpg

post-1279-0-55800600-1586247465_thumb.jpg

post-1279-0-41375100-1587367316_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bos

My 2018 Guerilla Gravity Megatrail in RAW

Octane One Solar Pro 27.5 rims laced to ECC boost hubs

WTB Convict 2.5 up front and WTB Trailboss 2.4 out back

Sram NX 11 sp rear derailleur and shifter

Sram GX crank

34T Oil Slick Chainring and Chain

Sunrace 11-46 Cassette

One Up Chain guide

Sram Guide R with 200mm rotors front and Back

Deity Bladerunner pedals

Octane One Chemical Pro Stem

Deity Mohawk Carbon Bars 787 wide - uncut

ODI SDG lock on grips

SDG Duster Saddle

Rapide 150mm Dropper Post

DVO Diamond Boost

DVO Topaz T3

Edited by Eddy Gordo

I Posted my whole Story a week before lock-down, so some of you might have seen it.. (Stolen) no bike for the best part of summer then as soon as I got a new one, the boss of the world says "LOCKDOWN" 

The story goes...

My bike was stolen in the early hours of the morning on black Friday 2019, never to be seen again. However, since it was stolen from my house "Santa"m came to the party and paid out an amount I could put a fairly descent bike together with If I shopped around cleverly.

As it turns out, every part has a unique story in where they came from or how they came to be that both makes the build more special because of what I managed to put together for the price, and, the mission I went through getting them. 

Every part had a story

• Fork - RS Revelation (150mm debonair) now Pike from bikehubSA. Then when I traveled to the UK in Feb, I picked up a Charger 2 RCT3 damper on e-bay UK and brought It home with me.  
  • Frame - ICAN P9 /Evolve Alpha 150mm Ex China, Snuck this out there hours before Chinese Lockdown.
  • RS Deluxe RT3 bought new from Ukraine Ebay
  • ECC hubs (bought for a bargain from a local kid who tried servicing the hub himself, incorrectly installing a bearing and doomed the hubs bust, took me 30mins and they were good as new) on Rapide TR30 rims, built myself.
  • Lyne Components:
  • -Pulse 55mm Stem Stoke

Since it took me months to receive all the parts, I opted to build the bike myself. Took muuch longer than anticipated but in the end, apart from the BB, there were no issues. 

PS. Excuse the water bottle, I had to got a side entry and the pink one of my wife's bike was all that fitted for the first ride but that's now sorted.

VERY nice bike !!!!

A Woolf-rail will lower that bottle nicely in the frame ....  :thumbup:

Sram GX crank

Sunrace 11-46 Cassette

One Up Chain guide

Deity Bladerunner pedals

ODI SDG lock on grips

SDG Duster Saddle

DVO Diamond Boost

DVO Topaz T3

g1.JPG g2.JPG g3.JPG g5.JPG g6.JPG

So nice nice dude.

Sram GX crank

Sunrace 11-46 Cassette

One Up Chain guide

Deity Bladerunner pedals

ODI SDG lock on grips

SDG Duster Saddle

DVO Diamond Boost

DVO Topaz T3

g1.JPG g2.JPG g3.JPG g5.JPG g6.JPG

If you ever win the lotto, check out garbaruk.com - they have cassettes, chainrings and some other cool stuff to match this super cool bike

VERY nice bike !!!!

A Woolf-rail will lower that bottle nicely in the frame .... :thumbup:

I'd rather go for the Lyne Holy Rail, 1/4 the price and locally designed. Edited by Grease_Monkey

If you ever win the lotto, check out garbaruk.com - they have cassettes, chainrings and some other cool stuff to match this super cool bike

Oh, Yes, a new cassette is in the pipeline. Oh and THANK!!!

The story goes...

Every part had a story

• Fork - RS Revelation (150mm debonair) now Pike from bikehubSA. Then when I traveled to the UK in Feb, I picked up a Charger 2 RCT3 damper on e-bay UK and brought It home with me.
  • Frame - ICAN P9 /Evolve Alpha 150mm Ex China, Snuck this out there hours before Chinese Lockdown.
  • RS Deluxe RT3 bought new from Ukraine Ebay
  • Lyne Components:
  • -Pulse 55mm Stem Stoke

Buying bike parts off Ukraine eBay?!

Now I've heard it all

Backyard bike check 2 of 3.

Behold my 2015 Giant TCR Advanced. It's pretty much a standard build apart from the 80mm stem, Mavic wheels and Selle San Marco saddle which is by far the best bike upgrade I have ever purchased. Oh and the black bar tape. Guys if you aren't a pro. Black bar tape. There's nothing worse than siff used to be white bar tape on a bike.

I originally bought a Merida 903 as a commuter bike to get to the office and back. I then quickly got upgradeitis and bought this bike from IRide Africa. It was one of their rental units. I donated the Merida to the Hout Bay Cycling Club and I still see it from time to time carrying a youngster up Chappies.

This TCR has been an amazing bike. It's taken me to France where we did a few Alpine Cols together and to Italy up Monte Grappa which is truly a BEAST of a climb. It also took me to a rather scorching Sub 8 argus this year.

post-83454-0-23128000-1586329804_thumb.jpg

post-83454-0-52441600-1586329826_thumb.jpg

Tortima Italy 2017

post-83454-0-09766600-1586329845_thumb.jpg

Monte Grappa Italy 2017

post-83454-0-79629300-1586329858_thumb.jpg

Avoriaz 2016. Note the MTB lid and the 3/4 shorts. No bibs at this stage.

post-83454-0-93276400-1586329868_thumb.jpg

Col de la Joux Vuerte 2016

post-83454-0-69249600-1586329879_thumb.jpg

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Hey Mr Smooth, when this whole Lock-down is over, can we organize a ride down the Iron Monkey and Red Phoenix ? Maybe even Invite your retired from MTB younger but older brother ?

I feel for you. Your garden was this neat, and your bikes this clean before lockdown, WTF are you going to do for 3 weeks!!??

Nice bike ;)

Thanks!

Let's hit Jonkers yes. Both younger brothers are far from retired, the older one even has more than one bike these days!

Don't believe the neatness, I cleaned the Stumpy right before the shoot!  :ph34r: