Helmet Replacement Scaremongering

danryding

There's strong irony in the fact that Holland also produces more neurosurgeons than any other country...

ironic indeed but most probably totally unrelated - a fantastic education system churning out bright minds.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its the same with Baby car seats, apparently they also dont last all that long and degrade due to heat and UV

The cover on the seat my daughter used last two years before needing to be replaced.

After 5 years the foam on the second cover had broken down.

why?

Helmets are a ripoff.

Yes yes, it is protecting your head. Yes yes it is important.

A seat belt will save your life, doesn't mean it has to cost R3k.

Helmets are a ripoff. The actual cost of production:retail price is approaching Gillette razor ripoff territory.

This is somewhat naive. Not saying that is isnt a ripoff but you are not paying for the production cost only. You also pay for the the R&D

I disagree.Bic disposable razors are crap

Do yourselves a favour

Go and get a decent safety razor, +/- R350 at the bottom end of the scale, then buy BIC blades for it. 

Replace blade every 3-5 days depending on how european your hair growth is. Less than R20 for pack of 5 blades.

You will never look back.

Cleanest shave I've ever had, no razor burn or shaving rash.

See the link below. But you dont have to go full hog with the creams and brush etc. Just get some Gillette shaving gel, works just as well.

https://www.artofmanliness.com/articles/how-to-shave-like-your-grandpa/

Do yourselves a favour

Go and get a decent safety razor, +/- R350 at the bottom end of the scale, then buy BIC blades for it. 

Replace blade every 3-5 days depending on how european your hair growth is. Less than R20 for pack of 5 blades.

See the link below. But you dont have to go full hog with the creams and brush etc. Just get some Gillette shaving gel, works just as well.

There used to be a thread for you shaving and beard nuts...

Do yourselves a favour

You mean like this bad boy....

Yes, the box needs a refurb. But it was my old man's, so it's going to stay like this a bit longer. 

post-3056-0-80085000-1594021640_thumb.jpeg

But a BIC disposable razor does the same job...

Its all about the prep!

Prep ..... The cream   or Prep_arations? :thumbup:

Helmets are like vitamins in Coronavirus times. By the time you realize you need them you are already in sh*t. 

You can't rewind the accident scene and strap on more protection. 

I have been on a ventilator and intubated as a result of complications from a big OTB accident with concussion, bleeding on the brain etc from an innocuous MTB accident one Saturday morning in Lonehill. FIrst sign was a smashed helmet but hey i was okay and a little slow but didnt do anything until i flaked out a week later.

I cannot tell you how after that i am always wearing a good and up to date helmet. 

Your call, but not really a debate.

Like they say you are entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts. Learn to discern between the two or you will make some large mistakes.

This is somewhat naive. Not saying that is isnt a ripoff but you are not paying for the production cost only. You also pay for the the R&D

I should probably have stated that I currently am riding with a ~R1500 spaz lid. Was the right mix of comfort and (I guess) safety/reputation tradeoffs. I'm not convinced that anything above R500 gives you more safety for your money.

If the r&d component was so high, then the logical process would be more extensive crash replacement policies. Instead helmets are like sunglasses, a fricken ripoff.

I should probably have stated that I currently am riding with a ~R1500 spaz lid. Was the right mix of comfort and (I guess) safety/reputation tradeoffs. I'm not convinced that anything above R500 gives you more safety for your money.

If the r&d component was so high, then the logical process would be more extensive crash replacement policies. Instead helmets are like sunglasses, a fricken ripoff.

In theory all helmets must be SABS approved and marked as safe. Otherwise like th p**** pot harley helmets they must be sold as party accessories not helmets.

It scares me that there are spiderman motorbike helmets sold in grocery stores that are not tested or safe that people are putting on and believing are safe.

So in theory the R500 helmet meets minimum safety requirements if it is being sold through the correct channels. I still have that question of a new R800 helmet every 4 months or a R2400 helmet once a year. Which is safer?

As per more expensive helmets being safer, in Motorbikes I can see it, with higher speed ratings, better shell materials. In bicycle helmets it is more a trust they did a bit ore research into the design and know you likely paying for more vents.

In theory all helmets must be SABS approved and marked as safe. Otherwise like th p**** pot harley helmets they must be sold as party accessories not helmets.

It scares me that there are spiderman motorbike helmets sold in grocery stores that are not tested or safe that people are putting on and believing are safe.

So in theory the R500 helmet meets minimum safety requirements if it is being sold through the correct channels. I still have that question of a new R800 helmet every 4 months or a R2400 helmet once a year. Which is safer?

As per more expensive helmets being safer, in Motorbikes I can see it, with higher speed ratings, better shell materials. In bicycle helmets it is more a trust they did a bit ore research into the design and know you likely paying for more vents.

An R 800 unit once a year is just as safe as a R 2,400 helmet once a year. Unless the R 2,400 helmet has features like MIPS and the cheaper lid doesn't, in which case you need to compare cheap MIPS vs Expensive MIPS

Only reason there's an extra premium on the "high end" lids is due to engineering R&D to maintain the strength of cheaper helmets, whilst increasing airflow and reducing weight. 

That's it. You pay more for less weight & better airflow. 

Edited by Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

An R 800 unit once a year is just as safe as a R 2,400 helmet once a year. Unless the R 2,400 helmet has features like MIPS and the cheaper lid doesn't, in which case you need to compare cheap MIPS vs Expensive MIPS

Only reason there's an extra premium on the "high end" lids is due to engineering R&D to maintain the strength of cheaper helmets, whilst increasing airflow and reducing weight.

That's it. You pay more for less weight & better airflow.

Spot on.

I don't pay more for helmets for more safety, I pay more for a comfy and light helmet with good airflow. I am never going to pay S Works prices for a lid, but I will happily pay Leatt prices. My assumption is any major helmet brand sells me a helmet that meets safety standards.

Dunno guys. I am definitely not persuaded that all helmets are made equal above say ZAR 800. I've certainly smashed two helmets in bike accidents. After the first one broke, I looked for a better helmet with a tougher outer shell and when I later ploughed in on my shoulder and head (and got up and walked away from it) I was very glad for the more expensive helmet with the tougher outer shell. I still ended up throwing it away but it certainly held up a huge amount better than the first (cheaper) helmet did. Now, when I buy a helmet, I worry less about weight than I do about what I can see in respect of structural integrity, the strength of the outer shell, et cetera et cetera. 

My perspective (your view may be different) is simply this: if you've got a cheap head, buy a cheap helmet. That said, the institute that I quote further below does have a different view to my own. But I'm still glad I bought the tougher shell helmet the second time around.

As for lifespan, my perspective is that if as in my case, your helmets actually don't see that much UV exposure, it's not really an issue. But let's see what the self-professed experts, the Bicycle Helmet Institute have to say on the subject:

"Occasionally somebody spreads rumors that sweat and ultraviolet (UV) exposure will cause your helmet to degrade. Sweat will not do that. The standards do not permit manufacturers to make a helmet that degrades from sweat, and the EPS, EPP or EPU foam is remarkably unaffected by salt water. Your helmet will get a terminal case of grunge before it dies of sweat. Sunlight can affect the strength of the shell material, though. Since helmets spend a lot of time in the sun, manufacturers usually put UV inhibitors in the plastic for their shells that control UV degradation. If your helmet is fading or showing small cracks around the vents, the UV inhibitors may be failing, so you probably should replace it. Chances are it has seen an awful lot of sun to have that happen. Otherwise, try another brand next time and let us know what brand faded on you."

https://helmets.org/replace.htm