Another cyclist killed...

Mojoman

He can start by putting his kid on strict rules and a curfew to prevent him from getting gesuip and killing someone else !!!

Unfortunately the bugger is older than 21 and hence they are more clever than all the parents combined and you cant tell them anything!

PS:  The parents are actually "lucky" that he is older than 21, if he was younger they could possibly also have been charged under "vicarious liability".  Parents are not always aware of this, you can be held accountable for the actions of your children.

Edited by Theog

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

RIP. what a sad sad story. And its an all too often occurrence. 

As to red flashing lights. I use one. Whether it helps or not i cannot lay claim to it but i know that when i am a motorist i certainly see red flashing lights a lot more easily than a cyclist sans. Thats good enough for me. 

For sure the red flashing rear light makes a difference, especially to the true accidents caused by bad visibility early morning. What it does not really help for is the blind drunk, stoned idiot texting while doing 100 in a 60 zone.

attachicon.gif125266265_10224356779048360_6203701687212535153_o.jpg

Well, there are the murder's parents asking for legal advice. 

Dont even know where to start with this.

Crap situation all-round.

Two families shattered.

I don't think you will do the kid any favours if you can get him off on a technicality. He needs to pay his dues for his decisions and actions.

Other young ones might then change their ways and call the Uber to take them home instead when faced with a similar situation.

Crap situation all-round.

Two families shattered.

I don't think you will do the kid any favours if you can get him off on a technicality. He needs to pay his dues for his decisions and actions.

Other young ones might then change their ways and call the Uber to take them home instead when faced with a similar situation.

Its going to ruin the kids life, but you know what, he has ruined another families life, and if we keep going "oh shame its just a kid" then this irresponsibleness will continue. The sooner there are serious consequences in this country for transgressions the sooner we can start ever so slowly getting people to think first.

He's their Son, its natural to be concerned, devastated. You teach them and then you release them in the world and hope you did the best you could. Most will make a few big mistakes. Some kids parents have the means to buy their way out of the predicament and others don't.

I see no reason to not offer the family legal advice if you have the ability to do so.

Or simply don't get involved or participate at all and let the process run its course.

I really feel for the families on both sides of this tragedy. We have an alcoholism problem in SA that is not going to be solved soon, nor is there political will to solve it since its such a lovely cash cow

My legal advice to parents:

do a search on google for all the amount of drunk driver's killing cyclists early in the morning on weekends. There are plenty,  If you search a little harder, you will probably find that most of the time the driver got off after a lengthy court process due to technicalities.

Then decide if your son should be responsible for his actions, if you have the bucks and the patience you could probably make sure he never goes to jail. If you can justify this despicable behaviour as he is your flesh and blood and deserves a second chance, then you live with it.

EWN had it as 28.

Spokesperson Noloyiso Rwexana said the driver was under the influence of alcohol: “The driver of a vehicle aged 28 was arrested for drunken driving and culpable homicide. He due to make a court appearance in Atlantis once he has been charged.”

My legal advice to parents:

do a search on google for all the amount of drunk driver's killing cyclists early in the morning on weekends. There are plenty,  If you search a little harder, you will probably find that most of the time the driver got off after a lengthy court process due to technicalities.

Then decide if your son should be responsible for his actions, if you have the bucks and the patience you could probably make sure he never goes to jail. If you can justify this despicable behaviour as he is your flesh and blood and deserves a second chance, then you live with it.

EWN had it as 28.

Spokesperson Noloyiso Rwexana said the driver was under the influence of alcohol: “The driver of a vehicle aged 28 was arrested for drunken driving and culpable homicide. He due to make a court appearance in Atlantis once he has been charged.”

22 vs 28 is a big mistake to be made by EWN...

There is an off-chance that two cyclists lost their lives to drunk drivers this past weekend...but only one incident reached the news sites :(

22 vs 28 is a big mistake to be made by EWN...

There is an off-chance that two cyclists lost their lives to drunk drivers this past weekend...but only one incident reached the news sites :(

Unlikely.

Statement was from SAPS I believe so greater likelihood of the first signs of incompetence in dealing with the case.?

Edited by Thomo

He's their Son, its natural to be concerned, devastated. You teach them and then you release them in the world and hope you did the best you could. Most will make a few big mistakes. Some kids parents have the means to buy their way out of the predicament and others don't.

I see no reason to not offer the family legal advice if you have the ability to do so.

Or simply don't get involved or participate at all and let the process run its course.

I really feel for the families on both sides of this tragedy. We have an alcoholism problem in SA that is not going to be solved soon, nor is there political will to solve it since its such a lovely cash cow

Well the parent is doing their son no favours stating their son was drunk. It really does not help his case if his parents are stating he was out partying with his mates getting drunk. 

I would suggest they understand that its not an accident if you drink and drive. He is going to hopefully face the law. 

They will still get to visit him in prison and in 25 years they will probably see him when he is released, the other family is not so lucky

Well the parent is doing their son no favours stating their son was drunk. It really does not help his case if his parents are stating he was out partying with his mates getting drunk. 

I would suggest they understand that its not an accident if you drink and drive. He is going to hopefully face the law. 

They will still get to visit him in prison and in 25 years they will probably see him when he is released, the other family is not so lucky

fully agree but remember that the situation is a shock for them too and they need time to process, accept and then find a way to move forward