Future of non-cycling discussion on Bike Hub

Matt

Not offended at your post at all. Just the highlighted part I am not sure of. I see European company adds on my side. I am sure that is money comming in from outside of SA to Matt. Could Matt confirm this? What ads do the other expats see?

Also European company ads here.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As a longtime member I am always amazed at the wide range of interests and knowledge that the hubbers have outside of cycling.

I doubt that I can ask for information on any subject that one or more hubbers will not have expert knowledge of . This is one of the attractions for me.

Another aspect that I enjoy is the sense of community goodwill where we will help others in need (even complete internet strangers) when asked to.

I just did a quick count and have bought 11 bikes and other goodies  and  sold 6 bikes via the classifieds.over the years. So this particular forum works for me.

While my post count suggests I am not an active poster I do spend at least an hour a day reading topics that interest me and checking the classifieds for interesting sales items. ( n+1 is a real itch)

Now that LDs have lifted and the Trump has been voted out, both the COVID 2.0 and Trumpf 2.0 threads have simmered down nicely.

To be frank.. The only thread that's actually got a bit of angst is the coronavirus one. I avoid it now and would happily see it disappear into the ether

To be frank.. The only thread that's actually got a bit of angst is the coronavirus one. I avoid it now and would happily see it disappear into the ether

Great alternative title to the movie 'Catch me if you Can' .

In previous years I was far more active in the cycling related topics. But after a while it just seems like its the same content being recycled over and over with new thread names. I still like lurking in the Bikes for Enduro or Dreamy Hardtail threads because of the eye candy. But do I feel motivated enough to engage in discussion on them? Not really. At some point you start wondering whether any new bike or bike related tech is really new at all. Another sled that's slacker and lower than the last one? Didn't see that coming. What's this? A 14 speed 7-62 cassette? Sigh. I do like the Boast about your purchases thread though. I guess I like to see just how diverse our choices are. 

A few weeks ago I dusted my bike off and got back into it after a hiatus that lasted for far too long. It took a couple rides but this friday past I really got that passion back. Putting the old girl through some pace down Tokai's DH3 felt amazing. But that wasn't the best part. It was seeing people I haven't seen in ages. I missed the people and the *** praat more than I missed the trails. I guess that's why I come back here too. I find myself spending far more time in the off topics section. Where the discussions around current affairs just seemed more stimulating because of just how diverse the opinions are. There is a level of social chemistry and engagement here you don't really find on other local forums. And while the statistics may elude otherwise. And I'm probably expressing some sort of emotional attachment here. I feel like its a pivotal part of what makes this place special. 

Bikehub. Come for the bikes...stay for the banter.

A consideration for Matt and team.

If the idea is monetize the classifieds, it might make sense to open the comments again, but then to have a resource who moderates the comments. 

Those comments, if kept in check, are extremely valuable to the buyers and sellers and will ultimately increase the over value of the market place section.  

Invest a little yourself, leverage the crowd and make it more valuable to everybody..

In previous years I was far more active in the cycling related topics. But after a while it just seems like its the same content being recycled over and over with new thread names. I still like lurking in the Bikes for Enduro or Dreamy Hardtail threads because of the eye candy. But do I feel motivated enough to engage in discussion on them? Not really. At some point you start wondering whether any new bike or bike related tech is really new at all. Another sled that's slacker and lower than the last one? Didn't see that coming. What's this? A 14 speed 7-62 cassette? Sigh. I do like the Boast about your purchases thread though. I guess I like to see just how diverse our choices are. 

A few weeks ago I dusted my bike off and got back into it after a hiatus that lasted for far too long. It took a couple rides but this friday past I really got that passion back. Putting the old girl through some pace down Tokai's DH3 felt amazing. But that wasn't the best part. It was seeing people I haven't seen in ages. I missed the people and the *** praat more than I missed the trails. I guess that's why I come back here too. I find myself spending far more time in the off topics section. Where the discussions around current affairs just seemed more stimulating because of just how diverse the opinions are. There is a level of social chemistry and engagement here you don't really find on other local forums. And while the statistics may elude otherwise. And I'm probably expressing some sort of emotional attachment here. I feel like its a pivotal part of what makes this place special. 

amen,

But it feels that forums are now becoming the area where the industry talks at us not too us and where our ability to talk to each other becomes more and more moderated.

Bike manufacturers can come here and lie their arses off and not get called out. 

Industry becomes less regulated whereas the people become more regulated.

thats a poo model

Well said

I wonder what % of views the "ladies thread" made up back in the day

Like a typical internet user I didn't read the whole thread, only a couple of pages. Would the closing of the off-topic section not lead to more threads being derailed?

Speaking of, Any of you struggling to get your money back from the guy working on the oil rig?

Edited by gerriemtb

...do i sense a bikehub competitor :ph34r:

Cycle Nation tried it, and then it died out with the news/photos/event reports being their main thing.

A consideration for Matt and team.

If the idea is monetize the classifieds, it might make sense to open the comments again, but then to have a resource who moderates the comments.

Those comments, if kept in check, are extremely valuable to the buyers and sellers and will ultimately increase the over value of the market place section.

Invest a little yourself, leverage the crowd and make it more valuable to everybody..

To add to your post:

If a comment in a post and the classifieds is offensive, should report it, and that could be anyone. Community-sourced moderators can review and delete once they receive the notification that it’s been reported. #selfmoderation

From my point of view personally, I mainly come here for a few of the off topic threads:

Aviation fans - I love that there are pilots and aircraft engineers on this thread and I always find their insights fascinating.  There's just enough here to keep me entertained and not overloaded as I would be if I went somewhere like AvCom.

Are motorcycles allowed - I love motorbikes, so really enjoy seeing what other members are riding or thinking about riding, or trips that they're going on.

MotoGP - my favourite sport to watch

These are my staples.  There are a few others that I keep up to date with, but these are my main ones.  

While I'm here looking at these, there will undoubtedly be some other threads in the regular section which will catch my attention and I'll go and read those and add input if I have something to add, but I'm not coming to BikeHub to look at those.  If the non cycling sections weren't here I'd for sure not be here as much.  Yes according to the data, numbers and which pages I'm looking at it will appear as though I spend more time looking at the on topic threads, but in reality I wouldn't have been there at all if it weren't for the off topic ones bringing me here in the first place.  

I honestly don't understand why Bikehub would want to lose the massive traffic these threads bring, that traffic is an important metric of a websites value in the google ranking and also too advertiser's. And saying those same users are not contributing to the bottom line(even that is questionable) I would think is shortsighted, it would be interesting to see what would happen if they all jump ship, them and their network of referrals.

And all that is needed is a few community moderators??

I've seen what happens when site owners try santise forums too much, the website dies a slow death, what was once mighty becomes hollow as the users move elsewhere.

Especially in these days of Facebook everything, where groups can meet all your needs conveniently on one website, countless bicycle classified groups and the FB Marketplace.

Considering that I would hold on to my userbase with everything I've got, they are the bread and butter of the website, treat them as disposable and they'll naturally do likewise, say goodbye to the goose..

I honestly don't understand why Bikehub would want to lose the massive traffic these threads bring, that traffic is an important metric of a websites value in the google ranking and also too advertiser's. And saying those same users are not contributing to the bottom line(even that is questionable) I would think is shortsighted, it would be interesting to see what would happen if they all jump ship, them and their network of referrals.

And all that is needed is a few community moderators??

I've seen what happens when site owners try santise forums too much, the website dies a slow death, what was once mighty becomes hollow as the users move elsewhere.

Especially in these days of Facebook everything, where groups can meet all your needs conveniently on one website, countless bicycle classified groups and the FB Marketplace.

Considering that I would hold on to my userbase with everything I've got, they are the bread and butter of the website, treat them as disposable and they'll naturally do likewise, say goodbye to the goose..

I think they are stating these its not massive.

I think they are stating these its not massive.

In terms of forum only users (excluding classifieds).. I'm convinced their stats are not truly reflective... Something's amiss