Announcement: Changes to non-cycling discussion on Bike Hub

Matt

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After avoiding le hub for a week I came back to post on the running page (oops..) and it seems the active topics page, which still only shows you select topics, is um chock full of gripping biking threads. 

Well done team admin, you certainly achieved your goal. 

Good morning Hubbers

The changes to the Forum (explained in Matt's post quoted below) will come into effect this afternoon.

On 6/8/2021 at 5:02 PM, Matt said:

Hi Hubbers,

It’s been many months since the discussion around the direction of Off Topic conversations first kicked off and we’ve had time to deeply consider the best approach.

A number of the non-cycling discussions relate to important topics. These are often complex issues which fall far outside the realm of bicycles. Quite simply, Bike Hub is not a suitable platform to be debating such issues when so many other better suited alternatives already exist on the internet. We also do not believe it is reasonable to expect moderators on Bike Hub to shepherd civil discourse around such complex and often thorny issues.

Ultimately Bike Hub is about cycling first and foremost. Any time and energy applied by our staff or volunteers must be focussed on encouraging more meaningful discussions about bicycles. 

Upcoming changes

A consolidated non-cycling discussion section will remain active, but with strict rules around the scope of discussions allowed, including:

• No politics
  • No religion
  • No current affairs
  • And any similar themed content

Topics or posts which fall outside the scope of allowed discussions will be removed and the posters will be warned.

We know these changes are not going to please everyone, but the steps we’re taking are with the interests of the broader Bike Hub community at heart. 

Our core mission is around connecting people through a shared passion for bicycles. We assist newbies with advice on their first purchase, the seasoned rider clearing out an “N+1” bike to a willing buyer, and we connect riders who simply want to share the stoke of where their bike takes them.

As part of a renewed focus on positive connections and quality engagement this is one step towards adding further value to all cyclists.

We hope you come along for the ride.

~ the team at Bike Hub

56 minutes ago, Nick said:

Good morning Hubbers

The changes to the Forum (explained in Matt's post quoted below) will come into effect this afternoon.

can we get a list?