Jump to content

Announcement: Changes to non-cycling discussion on Bike Hub


Matt
 Share

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Skubarra said:

Guess I am one of those that are going to be left behind with the hub focusing on its "core strengths". Im not really big on the classifieds but I understand that you run a business that has to generate money not a public service or charity.

For the most part (even on the heated days) I found the NCR discussions on here to be far more civil than on Twitter, FB etc. Got a lot of breaking news here first rather than on newspages.. Not just a little depressed that its now gone...

Will still be hanging around for the cycling and the non-controversial threads. Old habits die hard.

 

Yup, I'm in the same boat now that I battle to watch live cycling with the time delay, it was mostly on the other threads that I found my home. I am a relic from a time before the light. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, Stretch said:

I am not sure how I feel about all of this. I am conflicted. One the one hand I feel almost betrayed that supporters of the site and regular contributors requests are outright ignored, but on the other hand my use of the site is dwindling ....so maybe my input is not the important anyway. I have always mainly played on the NCR side. I think I have sold one bike and bought one bike through here...but it has still be something I interact with daily for the last 12 years. Its also my only real link back to the motherland...but maybe its time to cut the apron strings

Always enjoyed your contributions whether it was on the current affairs topics, music thread or TV shows. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In any community you will have a wide range of common topics amongst the members.

Imagine being part of a brand specific community where the only think you are allowed to discuss is that brand, it will quickly become boring.

Take a work environment. Other than work, you get to know who to talk to about certain subjects. For instance my colleagues will come and talk to me about exercise/cycling related advise, even home DIY stuff. Imagine that been banned, you'd quickly become unhappy and leave.

 

I agree certain subjects need to be kept in check, but with community participation to keep them in check it should not be that taxing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, ouzo said:

In any community you will have a wide range of common topics amongst the members.

Imagine being part of a brand specific community where the only think you are allowed to discuss is that brand, it will quickly become boring.

Take a work environment. Other than work, you get to know who to talk to about certain subjects. For instance my colleagues will come and talk to me about exercise/cycling related advise, even home DIY stuff. Imagine that been banned, you'd quickly become unhappy and leave.

 

I agree certain subjects need to be kept in check, but with community participation to keep them in check it should not be that taxing.

Indeed. I used to be a regular at a certain bike store. They then decided to become a concept store. I was in there once, looked for something, the owner tells, they only do "brand" stuff now!! I told him thats, sad, the old shop was really nice. I havent been back in there for about 5 years now. But they are doing well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Red Robin said:

Always enjoyed your contributions whether it was on the current affairs topics, music thread or TV shows. 

And likewise...

That's the point isn't it...a community of the hub is built around the interactions of the members in various off topic chats. We discover others interests and passions. You take away that and the rest is the forum will suffer

Seems like the forum is not the focus anymore though which is what I was really trying to say indirectly

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Stretch said:

And likewise...

That's the point isn't it...a community of the hub is built around the interactions of the members in various off topic chats. We discover others interests and passions. You take away that and the rest is the forum will suffer

Seems like the forum is not the focus anymore though which is what I was really trying to say indirectly

You guys are acting as though the forums are disappearing.

It's just the toxic threads that are going?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Stretch said:

And likewise...

That's the point isn't it...a community of the hub is built around the interactions of the members in various off topic chats. We discover others interests and passions. You take away that and the rest is the forum will suffer

Seems like the forum is not the focus anymore though which is what I was really trying to say indirectly

Im going to see how the changes affect things and if it starts to suck in here then I will leave.

Sure, as Matt/Nick mentioned, there are other forums for off topic discussions, they are generally miserable places to be though.

I guess everything has it's season and if this is the end of it for me on here then Im ok with that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

You guys are acting as though the forums are disappearing.

It's just the toxic threads that are going?

its not really the toxic threads only...there's going to be shift towards all off topic threads. Current Affairs encompasses everything. Additionally some political topics can be both informative and an interesting debate. The toxicomponent actually represents such a small percentage in the greater scheme of things.

Like @Rocket-Boy says "going to see how the changes affect things and if it starts to suck in here then I will leave."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

You guys are acting as though the forums are disappearing.

It's just the toxic threads that are going?

  • No politics
  • No religion
  • No current affairs
  • And any similar themed content

First two I can get behind completely, the other two are open to interpretation. Guys are stressing that their woodworking discussions are next in the firing line...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Vetplant said:
  • No politics
  • No religion
  • No current affairs
  • And any similar themed content

First two I can get behind completely, the other two are open to interpretation. Guys are stressing that their woodworking discussions are next in the firing line...

 

Two POSSIBLE outcomes .... (if the off topic threads really disapear totally)

 

face.twit.tube will get 0,00001% more traffic ....

 

Some of us may actually cycle more ....

 

 

 

read in Friday CS font ....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

You guys are acting as though the forums are disappearing.

It's just the toxic threads that are going?

No its not !

 

I hqve been a lurking fan of formula 1 for long with it really kicking back up in 2017 i only recently started taking part in the formula 1 thread and its got nothing t0 do woth cycling.

 

I also recently started collecting watches due to the thread on this site , that also has nothing to do with cycling. I also really got into watches and the mechanics involved.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

No its not !

 

I hqve been a lurking fan of formula 1 for long with it really kicking back up in 2017 i only recently started taking part in the formula 1 thread and its got nothing t0 do woth cycling.

 

I also recently started collecting watches due to the thread on this site , that also has nothing to do with cycling. I also really got into watches and the mechanics involved.

Yes it is!

As far as I can make out its only the toxic threads

\your little watch tread will survive

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

No its not !

 

I hqve been a lurking fan of formula 1 for long with it really kicking back up in 2017 i only recently started taking part in the formula 1 thread and its got nothing t0 do woth cycling.

 

I also recently started collecting watches due to the thread on this site , that also has nothing to do with cycling. I also really got into watches and the mechanics involved.

But the F1 threat will stay?

Same as the woodworking one? The watch one will likely stay too.

Unless they are political or religious

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

No its not !

 

I hqve been a lurking fan of formula 1 for long with it really kicking back up in 2017 i only recently started taking part in the formula 1 thread and its got nothing t0 do woth cycling.

 

I also recently started collecting watches due to the thread on this site , that also has nothing to do with cycling. I also really got into watches and the mechanics involved.

Hey Hey, I posted a pic of Mick with a lekker Colnago a few pages back..........

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nee nee from what has been said the forums will be structured to mainly focus on cycling related and ots derivatives 

 

So i really can't see how those will stay if we're being transparent about all this 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, BaGearA said:

Nee nee from what has been said the forums will be structured to mainly focus on cycling related and ots derivatives 

 

So i really can't see how those will stay if we're being transparent about all this 

Yis man...read the entire thread,now you are being a pain

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

My Profile My Forum Content My Followed Content Forum Settings Ad Messages My Ads My Favourites My Saved Alerts My Pay Deals Settings Help Logout