Munga 2021

Koos Likkewaan

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no doubt in my mind @Vetseun that the decision to stop was not made easily, that kind of condition like you say is downright dangerous and could end up with far worse consequences!

Discretion is the better part of valor as the saying goes,  there'll be other opportunities in the future. Wish you well with the recovery

That was still a moerse long way on a baie sukkel mate 😎

It’s sounds ridiculous but always remove your head torch batteries during the day, and put them back in when you need them, the weight of the batteries can cause this especially if have not trained using a head torch. before the ride go to  a biokineticist for exercises to specifically strengthen scaps and neck muscles will also help.

14 minutes ago, bolt67 said:

It’s sounds ridiculous but always remove your head torch batteries during the day, and put them back in when you need them, the weight of the batteries can cause this especially if have not trained using a head torch. before the ride go to  a biokineticist for exercises to specifically strengthen scaps and neck muscles will also help.

On the money! I am convinced that that is what triggered it. That minor additional weight.

1 hour ago, Vetseun said:

I am totally gutted to have at to pull the plug at 1060km. Unfortunately  I could not ride any further looking down at my top tube. I would have had an ugly crash.

The legs were there. My neck wasnt.

There are some hardcore okes here on the hub and I am sure some of them have experienced shermers neck. Not pleasant.

Anyway, no race report from me, my opinion of giving a race report when you had a DNF was clearly stated in the great Hub fight of 2017.

Anyway, I have to get on with life. Sorry Cois, really wanted to show that I could fight hard, as you have shown us all that you can. 

Screenshot_20211206-082046_Google.jpg.2622220d5cb7b5250d569324b87801ca.jpg

Well done vetseun, us keyboard warriors are too scared to even enter something as challenging as this. 

3 hours ago, Vetseun said:

I am totally gutted to have at to pull the plug at 1060km. Unfortunately  I could not ride any further looking down at my top tube. I would have had an ugly crash.

There are some hardcore okes here on the hub and I am sure some of them have experienced shermers neck. Not pleasant.

Anyway, no race report from me, my opinion of giving a race report when you had a DNF was clearly stated in the great Hub fight of 2017.

Anyway, I have to get on with life. Sorry Cois, really wanted to show that I could fight hard, as you have shown us all that you can.

Gutted for you - Shermer's is no joke. Had the beginnings of it in the the last 200km of LEL in 2013, and it was dreadful (and dangerous to ride on with if I'm honest). Have had several buddies pull out of events with it - definitely the wiser move, so good call. I haven't ridden with a head torch since (plus I traded up for the lightest helmet I could find too). Few things I took away from articles I read after that can help:

• lifting your handlebars - guys at my cycle club rib me about how many spacers I have under my stem, but I swear it has helped
  • see a physio for some neck work - and also get some neck/Shermer's exercises off them (or the web). Worked wonders for me in recovery, and I still do the exercises now about 2 or 3 times a week (ok, when I remember!). Massage can help, but not all sports masseuse are comfortable or any good with neck work
  • core strength - yeah, most of us are rubbish at that I know. I'm still lazy on it now so I can't pretend it's helped because I don't do enough of it even now. But it is meant to help I'm told.

Heal well, and be proud of your ride - no shame in retiring injured after 1,060km. Until they made the route longer, that was a full Munga anyway!

Edited by walkerr

1 hour ago, bolt67 said:

mtb helmet: 250-300g

generic headlamp: 100g

3 AAA batteries: 30g

might as well take the whole headlamp off then, 

but if you're a real weight weenie, these blue lithiums are about 3x the energy capacity of an alkaline and will save you a few grams too

image.png.e51bfa49bc817d48db4ca18198e78477.png

2 hours ago, Vetseun said:

no no no.......

i don't think anyone will complain about a "ride report" though.

2 hours ago, Vetseun said:

There is no shame in what you have achieved, you did over 1000km in conditions most of us are to afraid to even start.

You achievement is worthy of a race report.

13 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

but if you're a real weight weenie, these blue lithiums are about 3x the energy capacity of an alkaline and will save you a few grams too

image.png.e51bfa49bc817d48db4ca18198e78477.png

Got this advice pre : Freedom Challenge.  18 to 20 days of riding al least 12 hours a day the weight mighth make a difference. Quite a few Freedom riders suffer from this. Head torch is must at Freedom as need it to read maps and narratives while moving. Saying that I did plenty of core and neck/scap strenghtening work pre Freedom. The other thing is to train all LSD rides with the head torch.

17 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

The weight is low - the trouble is, by being at the top of your head, which already bobbles around, it generates a fulcrum/lever effect. Overall, it's just a few grams, but it's exerting a rotational force some distance away from your neck. I'm convinced that as well as the other measures I mentioned above, dropping 200g from the weight I had up there has helped me avoid suffering it again. The one time I got close to triggering it again was when I experimented with aero bars - I've had to ditch those. They saved my hands, but nailed my neck.

12 minutes ago, walkerr said:

The weight is low - the trouble is, by being at the top of your head, which already bobbles around, it generates a fulcrum/lever effect. Overall, it's just a few grams, but it's exerting a rotational force some distance away from your neck. I'm convinced that as well as the other measures I mentioned above, dropping 200g from the weight I had up there has helped me avoid suffering it again. The one time I got close to triggering it again was when I experimented with aero bars - I've had to ditch those. They saved my hands, but nailed my neck.

Over the years I've fiddled a lot with head torches, bar torches and battery placement. When it's really cold batteries drain quicker, so I tend to only buy/use torches with removeable packs and extensions. I have the BD Icon 700 for AR/Running and the extension cable with the battery pack in the pack or pocket. It also makes changing the lithium batteries once a year easier! haha

I use a 1000 lumen torch on the bars as a sighter at night with the head torch there to turn corners and see where I'm looking as well as map work.

One thing that really get the neck in trouble is when the head torch isn't set at the right angle so you constantly adjust where you're looking. 

Just a small FYI if you don't know him;

Shebeen is a Freedom trail Blanket wearer and old school and current expedition Adventure racer. He is also the biggest stats/kit dork.

To the point where he has built batteries from the ground up to save weight, save carrying things etc.....