Bike boom - is it over?

Headshot

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the thread has relevance.

I'm pretty sure a lot of the 'chit chat' was shut down because it became a place for ex pats to complain about SA and justify why they moved. Realistically, a lot of those threads were a pretty negative place.

This thread has relevance and it highlights quite an interesting bikehub demographic. As long as the thread doesn't turn into a pit of doom and despair and we all keep the topic relevant, there is little reason to close it down. 

On that, Sunrace 8 and 9 speed stuff is dirt cheap. I priced a 9 speed shifter, RD and 11-46 cassette at 1200zar brand new. 

For a non race bike it offers everything. We are often our own worst enemies 'needing' the latest kit.

14 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Actually its not impurities in the diesel but the lube oil that causes Diesel Injector Deposits, specifically metallic precursors like Zinc.

The fuel may have trace amounts of sodium soap that can cause Internal Diesel Injector Deposits (IDID's). These are easily combated through diesel detergent additives.

are you running WearCheck analysis? check your zinc, sodium and other metals trends.

A clear indication of Injector Deposits is the fuel dilution that lowers the lube oil flash point

I love it when you talk foreign.

Thanks, your knack of explaining something to a layman is so much better than mine.

I do oil wear checks at services, and randomly pull  fuel samples and have them checked as well. The oil checks is for red flags as early warning about engine trouble. The fuel tests is more to keep my diesel supplier aware that we'll pick up if they dilute their diesel, and to keep Ford SA honest when they want to cry foul. 

If we pick up something in the fuel tests it will probably be to late  to save the fancier engines, but then at least we won't be lookimg for a smoking gun. 

1 hour ago, PhilipV said:

I love it when you talk foreign.

Thanks, your knack of explaining something to a layman is so much better than mine.

I do oil wear checks at services, and randomly pull  fuel samples and have them checked as well. The oil checks is for red flags as early warning about engine trouble. The fuel tests is more to keep my diesel supplier aware that we'll pick up if they dilute their diesel, and to keep Ford SA honest when they want to cry foul. 

If we pick up something in the fuel tests it will probably be to late  to save the fancier engines, but then at least we won't be lookimg for a smoking gun. 

If you need a hand interpreting the fuel test results give me a shout. There shouldn’t be any fuel adulteration issues in the western cape as we do check regularly but ya this is SA and sometimes strange things happen

23 hours ago, PhilipV said:

Except that it's an aerosol. And any over spray will be heading towards your brake rotors if applied wrong. 

It comes with a nozzle that allows you to direct it straight onto the inside of your chain. If your getting overspray onto your brakes using that, then you have no place doing any sort of maintenance or DIY work.

bike lubes are not high tech or made from unobtanium. It’s just very well marketed.

On 7/31/2022 at 5:21 PM, esCape-ist said:

It comes with a nozzle that allows you to direct it straight onto the inside of your chain. If your getting overspray onto your brakes using that, then you have no place doing any sort of maintenance or DIY work.

bike lubes are not high tech or made from unobtanium. It’s just very well marketed.

Fair enough. 

I admit that when I see an aerosol I immediately see my father spraying the crap put of basically everything on his boat with q20 or wd40. If you sit still long enough he'll spray you as well to keep the rust at bay. 

Edited by PhilipV

28 minutes ago, PhilipV said:

Fair enough. 

I admit that when I see an aerosol I I mediese my father spraying the crap put of basically everything on his boat with q20 or wd40. If you sit still long enough he'll spray you as well to keep the rust at bay. 

Swear my dad even sprayed the engin cover on the boat ...

10 hours ago, W@nted said:

Keeping on topic, does anyone have a decent set of golf clubs for sale? Asking for a friend…

I've got A Nice set I'll wsop you for A sworks EPIC 2019 or newer 

On 7/31/2022 at 8:10 AM, Jewbacca said:

I'm pretty sure a lot of the 'chit chat' was shut down because it became a place for ex pats to complain about SA and justify why they moved. Realistically, a lot of those threads were a pretty negative place.

This thread has relevance and it highlights quite an interesting bikehub demographic. As long as the thread doesn't turn into a pit of doom and despair and we all keep the topic relevant, there is little reason to close it down. 

On that, Sunrace 8 and 9 speed stuff is dirt cheap. I priced a 9 speed shifter, RD and 11-46 cassette at 1200zar brand new. 

For a non race bike it offers everything. We are often our own worst enemies 'needing' the latest kit.

Really good vision and decision making from admin.

BikeHub clearly isn't a place for people to defend their right to offend in the name of robust debate and that makes it unique in the current online landscape.

They were happy to lose some users to stick to their vision and it worked out fine. The same mix of diverse and insightful inputs are on the rise again without the nonsense.

Edited by Showtime

13 hours ago, PhilipV said:

Fair enough. 

I admit that when I see an aerosol I I mediese my father spraying the crap put of basically everything on his boat with q20 or wd40. If you sit still long enough he'll spray you as well to keep the rust at bay. 

I use Castrol DWF on my bicycle a lot still in summer, mud doesn't stick, makes it look good, stops any chance of corrosion happening. If I lived at the coast still I would be buying it by the case still. Up on the highveld in winter your bike stays cleaner without it and there is so little chance of corrosion if you dry it after cleaning so all good. You just need to keep it away from your brake rotors. If you want the really good stuff, splurge on maxima SC1, then your bike even smells sweet.

14 hours ago, esCape-ist said:

On the IDT for a while I used motorbike anti fling lube, a single application lasts a long long time and it is better priced than mtb lube. You can feel it robs maybe a watt or so but on the trainer who cares, you there to work anyway.

23 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

It is quite interesting though the economics of bicycles, especially given the rise of financing. I mean walk into a major bicycle store- you don't see the bike price, you see the monthly repayment amount, which makes you realise where they want you to go. I have found it is easier to get bicycle finance than almost any other finance. The teams there are brilliant in their UX. I guess it is lower volume and all about the the UX.

That being said it can work out reasonable to finance a bike and if you don't have the cash upfront but know what you can work with monthly then why not. I mean R1000 a month on bicycle finance is a lot better than R1000 a month to go to a gym in my opinion. At least a few years later you have a saleable asset along with some fitness.

My timing happened to work out well, I paid off a bike I financed in 2019. It was a good price as the bike was marked down. I also put in a good a deposit and kept the term to 36months. Trade in on the bike was a lot better than expected with the bike boom. So by seeing the boom it made it a lot more viable to trade up to something better specced and well priced. I also have the luxury of an accountant wife giving input.

52 minutes ago, dave303e said:

I use Castrol DWF on my bicycle a lot still in summer, mud doesn't stick, makes it look good, stops any chance of corrosion happening. If I lived at the coast still I would be buying it by the case still. Up on the highveld in winter your bike stays cleaner without it and there is so little chance of corrosion if you dry it after cleaning so all good. You just need to keep it away from your brake rotors. If you want the really good stuff, splurge on maxima SC1, then your bike even smells sweet.

On the IDT for a while I used motorbike anti fling lube, a single application lasts a long long time and it is better priced than mtb lube. You can feel it robs maybe a watt or so but on the trainer who cares, you there to work anyway.

It is quite interesting though the economics of bicycles, especially given the rise of financing. I mean walk into a major bicycle store- you don't see the bike price, you see the monthly repayment amount, which makes you realise where they want you to go. I have found it is easier to get bicycle finance than almost any other finance. The teams there are brilliant in their UX. I guess it is lower volume and all about the the UX.

That being said it can work out reasonable to finance a bike and if you don't have the cash upfront but know what you can work with monthly then why not. I mean R1000 a month on bicycle finance is a lot better than R1000 a month to go to a gym in my opinion. At least a few years later you have a saleable asset along with some fitness.

My timing happened to work out well, I paid off a bike I financed in 2019. It was a good price as the bike was marked down. I also put in a good a deposit and kept the term to 36months. Trade in on the bike was a lot better than expected with the bike boom. So by seeing the boom it made it a lot more viable to trade up to something better specced and well priced. I also have the luxury of an accountant wife giving input.

I tried this route.. but the banks are getting clever now. They told me I can't pay 50% deposit and finance it over 36 months, because of "affordability".. they suggest I pay 10% deposit and pay it over 60 months.... guess who scores more this way?!! I didnt even bother to reply. 

14 hours ago, W@nted said:

Keeping on topic, does anyone have a decent set of golf clubs for sale? Asking for a friend…

I have a crap set that I'm willing to give away for free.

13 minutes ago, M L said:

I have a crap set that I'm willing to give away for free.

Haha thanks. You can PM me some details if you want to 😁

25 minutes ago, figjam_sa said:

I tried this route.. but the banks are getting clever now. They told me I can't pay 50% deposit and finance it over 36 months, because of "affordability".. they suggest I pay 10% deposit and pay it over 60 months.... guess who scores more this way?!! I didnt even bother to reply. 

So pay the 10% deposit, get the bike, you probably get a lower interest rate that way as well, then pay the other 40% you have a month or 2 into the contract, and you will land up with essentially a 36month contract and save on the interest.....