Really, No Epic 2023 Thread?

BMCfan

58 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Having watched the day 6 highlights and seeing what CL and AW did when they got the puncture makes me think they sealed their own fate (punny?) by trying to repair a terminally ill tyre and rim. Had they simply pedalled on to the tech zone with the insert still in the rear rim they would not have wasted all that time trying to fix it and would have been able to ride much faster... hindsight is horrible. 

Hindsight is golden*.

only thing they really could have practically done differently is put the insert back in after the tube didn't work. They still 8kms to ride, maybe all of it on a flat tyre and not the bare rim (which is what eventually happened). 

Either way, they lost 40 minutes on a 10 minute lead. no matter what black magic you have, 8km from the techzone is not going to let you keep your 10minute lead.

*carbon rims are high risk crap, if they had alu rims they would have won the epic

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

56 minutes ago, J Wakefield said:

It’s not the same race - but he is a contender ofcourse 

100% agree, but Matt has to be in there with a proper chance. 

5 hours ago, devvydoesdonuts said:

They have Colombo now in the team and Nino and him seemed to work really well together at Tankwa last year and they werent't teammates yet. Colombo does well in the World Cups and I think he could be a better partner for Nino next year. That being said, I think any rider that partners with Nino for Epic will have a tough time, he seems to put a lot of pressure on himself to do well and really pushes to get those results which always seems to break his partners after a few days.

That might be a cool combo....👍

10 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

Hindsight is golden*.

only thing they really could have practically done differently is put the insert back in after the tube didn't work. They still 8kms to ride, maybe all of it on a flat tyre and not the bare rim (which is what eventually happened). 

Either way, they lost 40 minutes on a 10 minute lead. no matter what black magic you have, 8km from the techzone is not going to let you keep your 10minute lead.

*carbon rims are high risk crap, if they had alu rims they would have won the epic

I have recent experience with tyre inserts - depending on what you have, they can be very hard to fit i.e get the tyre back on with the insert inside no doubt even more so with mud and sealant all over the place. I suppose you need to discuss strategy, have a plan and apply it when the worst happens.  Like ...5.  - When puncture and rim appear terminal but you have an insert, leave it alone and ride on until you can swop a wheel...

As for carbon rims - well when they go they do so in style and you are fked. 

22 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

Kim le Court won the Argus and The Cape Epic back to back. anyone ever come close to this?

even top5 at both?

That is equivalent of World Champs and TdF in same year. Maybe Merckx or Cadel Evans? 

On 3/26/2023 at 11:19 AM, Lexx said:

Last couple of days was very exciting. Just wish they have more of the women's race as well. Maybe split screen with one side men's race and other women's race.. 🤔 

Careful what you wish for.

no disrespect to the athletes riding, but the ladies' field is not that deep. hence the racing not that close.

mostly only had 3 teams together from WP1 onwards. there's only so much of that one can watch.

had a quick squizz through the results over the years. This is the first time since 2013 the ladies winning team has placed out of the top50 on GC. while it is obviously a tactical race and you race the opponents in your category they are riding the same course and a long way back.

if some big names in ladies MTB came to ride, i think there would be more eyeballs on the ladies, but for now that is chicken and egg.

We went to the finish yesterday mostly just to enter the kids into the Epic Kids races in the morning. 

At one stage my wife looked at me with a smirk and said, “ you want to do the Epic don’t ya?”

Is this race something I should consider doing at least once? Being 40 odd, I can’t postpone much longer.

How do you even go about finding a partner of more or less equal ability?

So much to take into consideration 

Just now, DieselnDust said:

Rider 

not walker. Walkers have no rights in a Mtb race 😂

In my mind its just plain decency, if you holding up anyone in any scenario, MAKE SPACE for them to pass.

On 3/24/2023 at 5:41 PM, sirmoun10goat said:

Anyone thinking bicycles are expensive should look at the ‘racing’ running shoes that costs thousands of ZAR (R3500+) and often don’t last beyond 500km. That’s R7/km run

At least the top end racing shoes with carbon plates only really give you a return when you are running faster than 4min/km. So they quite literally make no difference to the okes who are throwing cash at it for the sake of it. It would be like an advantage you can only unlock when you hit 5w/kg in cycling terms.

Just now, DieselnDust said:

Rider 

not walker. Walkers have no rights in a Mtb race 😂

This^^^^ as soon as you uncleat, you get off the trail and hike through the bush next to the trail to the top not to kill other's momentum...

1 minute ago, dave303e said:

At least the top end racing shoes with carbon plates only really give you a return when you are running faster than 4min/km. So they quite literally make no difference to the okes who are throwing cash at it for the sake of it. It would be like an advantage you can only unlock when you hit 5w/kg in cycling terms.

This^^^^ as soon as you uncleat, you get off the trail and hike through the bush next to the trail to the top not to kill other's momentum...

That’s what I do if I need to walk the just give the riders the line, they’ve earned it!

4 minutes ago, Mike Nel said:

We went to the finish yesterday mostly just to enter the kids into the Epic Kids races in the morning. 

At one stage my wife looked at me with a smirk and said, “ you want to do the Epic don’t ya?”

Is this race something I should consider doing at least once? Being 40 odd, I can’t postpone much longer.

How do you even go about finding a partner of more or less equal ability?

So much to take into consideration 

Is she aware of entry fee and cost associated with getting to the start line? If so, good on you mate!

Don't you have training buddies of similar strength. More importantly don't you have any good mates (off the bike) who would be keen to join in this journey. You or your potential partner could level up significantly with the correct training.

I would think finding a random to join you is last resort!? In my mind at least.

5 minutes ago, babse said:

Is she aware of entry fee and cost associated with getting to the start line? If so, good on you mate!

Don't you have training buddies of similar strength. More importantly don't you have any good mates (off the bike) who would be keen to join in this journey. You or your potential partner could level up significantly with the correct training.

I would think finding a random to join you is last resort!? In my mind at least.

I’ll tell her it’s about 3000. But I won’t mention the currency 🤣

3 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

Robbie, can YOU ride Irish top to bottom without stopping and then crack on across to saaltjie without a breather?

not a chance in a wet and rainy hell. You do realize I was saying that in jest?

Although, I did manage a climb to the top of Irish 4 yesterday with only 2 stops. But then I wasn't racing anyone.

I see I neglected to use comedy font earlier. my bad.