Shaun Nick Bester - Cycling SA announcement

bolt67

2 hours ago, SwissVan said:

Sidebar, not condoning harassment or grooming….or whatever happened here.

My wife and I have a very old and slight connection with the real deal Nick Bester of comrades fame, so I mentioned this case against his son to her last at dinner…. Her immediate response was “ nowdays it is so easy to be accused of these kind of things, you have to be really careful what you say and don’t touch anyone….”

Say it again, I’m not condoning or taking SNB actions / side

Thank goodness that it's so if it's a bit easier to accuse someone of grooming or sexual assault.  The fact remains that less than 4% of formal police complaints of alleged sex assault offences are prosecuted and less than 1% result in a conviction, in both SA and the UK.  That low percentage has almost nothing to do with false allegations.  An examination of empirical studies clearly shows that false allegations are invariably and consistently very low across studies published on various continents.  Multiple false accusers against one person is unheard of.

It's hard enough to get any justice or acknowledgement.  An ex was similar in age to the youngest accuser here when she was molested by a trusted family friend, and found it shattering that even her medical doctor mom took no action.  Respect and thank yous to those who took action in this matter and to CSA.  It's clear that their approach throughout the process involving three investigations and an appeal was balanced and professionally executed.

Edited by justinafrika

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, J Wakefield said:

Clearly an Outlier in coaching then. 

Yep but it looks good for business when your nearest and only competition has a level 3

11 minutes ago, justinafrika said:

Thank goodness that it's so if it's a bit easier to accuse someone of grooming or sexual assault.  The fact remains that less than 4% of formal police complaints of alleged sex assault offences are prosecuted and less than 1% result in a conviction, in both SA and the UK.  That low percentage has almost nothing to do with false allegations.  An examination of empirical studies clearly shows that false allegations are invariably and consistently very low across studies published on various continents.  Multiple false accusers against one person is unheard of.

It's hard enough to get any justice or acknowledgement.  An ex was similar in age to the youngest accuser here when she was molested by a trusted family friend, and found it shattering that even her medical doctor mom took no action.  Respect and thank yous to those who took action in this matter and to CSA.  It's clear that their approach throughout the process involving three investigations and an appeal was balanced and professionally executed.

An ex?  

16 minutes ago, IceCreamMan said:

I tried so vigilantly not to portray myself as you have described, appears I have failed. 

I have no issue with someone playing Devil's advocate here, there are three sides to every story including the one hiding behind the sub judice smokescreen. 

You just seem short on offering actual alternatives. Have you really thought it through, apart from just wanting the process done "better"?

CSA quietly remove his accredition, or put out a footnote saying that an "unnamed coach" has had his/her licence removed for kiddyfiddling. Every coach gets an irate phonecall from parents, and they all deny it is actually them - INCLUDING the actual guilty one who is quietly getting his wife to front the business.

so ja unless you got something better than that, good luck defending this hill.

But one example among a few, some here will remember Darren Goddard, he was accused and convicted of abuse of minors in his care. The dispensation within CSA at the time, among others, largely thought it best not to 'rock the boat' and made no comment when accusations and subsequent investigations became apparent. It was left to a regional paper and local activists to pursue over years of investigation. 

Today there are far more capable people within the organisation. 

The other big one is being banned vs enforcing it?

Website, current clients, social media are all looking like it is business as usual. Delete the negative comments and raise away. Still on Training peaks as well as a coach.

What is CSA going to do about that? Can they do anything?

Just now, Shebeen said:

I have no issue with someone playing Devil's advocate here, there are three sides to every story including the one hiding behind the sub judice smokescreen. 

You just seem short on offering actual alternatives. Have you really thought it through, apart from just wanting the process done "better"?

CSA quietly remove his accredition, or put out a footnote saying that an "unnamed coach" has had his/her licence removed for kiddyfiddling. Every coach gets an irate phonecall from parents, and they all deny it is actually them - INCLUDING the actual guilty one who is quietly getting his wife to front the business.

so ja unless you got something better than that, good luck defending this hill.

There are many possible scenarios. 

Of course he must be sanctioned and discredited.  No arguments. Of course it must be reported to the authorities and they must investigate ( which seeing as the matter is sub judice appears to be happening.) I have no qualms with the process followed by CSA , it all appears above board. I have no complaints with the process and the sanction.

sexual grooming is a crime, and justifiably so. I trust CSA took it up with the relevant authorities when this was initially reported back in early 2023. Right now , let’s face it, apart from the press release we actually know very little but this forum has already found him guilty of statutory rape  amongst others. It has also exposed all the children to possibly unwanted attention. 

by labelling mr bester they may have done everyone a disservice. ( my opinion) These allegations surfaced in early 2023, presumably mr bester was permitted to continue plying his trade for an additional year and a few months. He should have been immediately suspended on suspicion of misconduct. His eventual expulsion should have been on this basis. ( again my opinion)  in the event this goes to court and he is found to be not guilty I believe CSA may be exposed.  

let’s follow this story and keep track of it. 

19 minutes ago, IceCreamMan said:

A far better approach I reckon. 

21 minutes ago, bolt67 said:

Another alleged case in triathlon in KZN, coach suspended pending outcome of investigation :

https://triathlonsa.co.za/2023/12/25/safeguarding/

Good to see sporting federations acting decisively. 

very different situation though in terms of order of operations. From my 2 mins googling articles pop up with a prominent triathlon coach having been in court a few days before the announcement and by the looks of socials clearly still coaching

1 hour ago, nox1111 said:

Rumors of his infidelity has been running around the racing circuit for a while. But at least that was with other consenting adults.  This is a whole new low.
This guy should be prosecuted by law and kept far away from any females.

Heard the same in 21, scary what it came out to 

1 hour ago, Pandatron said:

How do you want this to be dealt with better? Your just coming off as a person who feels that predators should be better protected and have anonymity - a friend of predators even

ag please man - he has tried to make some pretty nuanced and well articulated points, and for once not jumped straight onto the outrage mill.  Dial down the judgment and drama, as there are some issues raised worth considering.  Nobody is "a friend of predators" that comment alone is ill considered

14 minutes ago, IceCreamMan said:

A far better approach I reckon. 

This seems contradictory? 
They've still named and shamed him, so in essence labelled him. 
The only difference is they've done so ahead of the Safeguarding Policy investigation, which essentially follows the same process as CSA.