Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

2 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

Eish - that road has a wide shoulder? I thought it was fairly save to cycle there (Unlike the R27). Something must have seriously gone wrong!

reports are that rider rode into the back of a stationery vehicle. 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Bernard Horn said:

Cyclist down at M19 Melkbos near woodsellers this morning.Be careful out there

RIP

I rode there the other day and have to say a couple taxis and white bakkies (lately they are more or less the same species as taxis) cut the yellow line in the left turn 500m after charlies wood and passed me real close…

Not sure what happened in this occasion but it is so so sad ???? 

Edited by Jbr

This was on our Whatsapp group from someone that was riding with him when it happened. 

"Tragic news. Yyyyy lost his life in an accident this morning after riding into the back of a parked van. He died instantly without suffering. Condolences to his family and friends, especially his wife Xxxxx."

15 minutes ago, HenryS said:

This was on our Whatsapp group from someone that was riding with him when it happened. 

"Tragic news. Yyyyy lost his life in an accident this morning after riding into the back of a parked van. He died instantly without suffering. Condolences to his family and friends, especially his wife Xxxxx."

Tragic.

On 11/2/2021 at 9:45 AM, DieselnDust said:

This section has become populated with informal dwellings.. Main Rd is taking to the same fate. Very soon we will not be able to ride into the city centre safely between 5am and 7am unless using the Freeway which would be illegal :( 

its just not safe anywhere anymore

Yet they're increasing infrastructure for more cyclists! What a joke 

16 hours ago, HenryS said:

RIP rider and condolences to the family.

Brings back memories of a few years back. All lined up for Timetrials and rider 3 went off (an old boy and his mate apparently doing this for years) as rider number 6 lines up we got word the event is called off as there's a rider down. Rider number 3 hit the back of a truck and never made it. 

Cycled back and while putting my bike back in the van Rider 3's wife and his mate were parked next to me, completely shocked. That was truely one of the kakkest days I've had in cycling.  

• 3 weeks later...

SAPS? What a joke if you think they give a crap. Look at the state of this **** hole we call SA! Can’t even ride a bike ride anymore… one day is one day.

4 hours ago, betaboy said:

Look at the state of this **** hole we call SA! Can’t even ride a bike ride anymore… one day is one day.

If you’re referring to bike thefts, Amsterdam is the ultimate sh*thole.  If "one day is one day”, don’t move to the Netherlands.

Ask any local or anyone who’s lived there, it’s so bad that every bike is expected to be stolen.  Amsterdam solution?  Steal one yourself.  Bike theft has been the number one crime in all of the Netherlands every year for a VERY long time.

Edited by justinafrika

8 minutes ago, justinafrika said:

If you’re referring to bike thefts, Amsterdam is the ultimate sh*thole.  If "one day is one day”, don’t move to the Netherlands.

Ask any local or anyone who’s lived there, it’s so bad that every bike is expected to be stolen.  Amsterdam solution?  Steal one yourself.  Bike theft has been the number one crime in all of the Netherlands every year for a VERY long time.

There’s a big difference between theft and robbery/assault. What we’re experiencing is premeditated assault. These guys are not waiting for you to park your bike and steal it, they intend to afflict harm to take it off you.

Indeed.  You notice that my comment was initiated with "If you’re referring to bike thefts”?

Having defended male and female friends and two unknown women from violent crimes (one a streetside assault by two West African men and the other preventing the rape of a teen girl) and having beat down and caught one of a group of violent home invaders (same guy who later pulled the trigger in Jayde Panayioutou’s murder) I’m well familiar with violent crime.  I still have the scar from that knife wound on my hand.  Since you wish to specifically discuss violence, the UN report on sexual trafficking reveals that the Netherlands and Italy are by far the largest “clients” of women and teen girls coercively trafficked from Africa.

Grass ain’t always greener elsewhere.  Violent crime is hardly a uniquely SA phenomenon.  British news media has almost daily reports of teens stabbing and macheteing and shooting one another, I read daily.  The fact remains that cycle theft happens far more often in the Netherlands than in SA.  Check for yourself.

I’m simply grateful for this gent and his family that he survived this horrific bikejacking.

Edited by justinafrika