Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

Glad you are relatively okay Pure Savage.  But what a horrible experience!

Just to share some info; my wife punctured at the bottom of Ocean View hill last Sunday morning. 

We were on the side of the road for 10-15 minutes, changing the tube etc.  Not the greatest place to get a flat...Anyway there was a guy eyeing us out and after a while he approached us.  At first we assumed he had bad intentions, but instead he told us that we should move along as quickly as possible as the area has become very unsafe.  He mentioned that a number of bad eggs have returned to Ocean View from prison recently. 

Last weekend we rode past (from scarborough towards Noordhoek), and I thought if I puncture here, **** that I keep rolling until that farm with the camels, no ways I stop there... There's been several attacks that side recently, with extreme violence that cannot be explained... Either the perpetrators have piss in their skulls or they are very very high, or both... Why would you risk so much just for a phone or a couple hundred rand in a wallet...

Edited by Jbr

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it just me or does it seem CT and the Cape in general has more attacks on cyclists/hikers/runners than us lot up here in JHB/Cowteng? (or is it because when the weather is good in the Cape so many of you folk gap it outside so pickings are a lot richer!)

Edited by Mojoman

Cars have been broken into at Hoogekraal recently, even on a busy day

Thanks for sharing this update. It is really frustrating that now a long ride is confined to laps of a trail center with hopefully other riders present. How long before these criminals venture onto the trails such as Hoogekraal etc? I have no faith in riding that part anymore, and it was a favourite of mine as it includes some climbs if I was not in the mood for trail riding.

And with DuNoon getting ever larger, this is going to become a more present reality.

ja I avoid parking there. I always park at Conters although that means the dreaded climb back after a loop of HGK and Trail Z

Glad you are relatively okay Pure Savage. But what a horrible experience!

Just to share some info; my wife punctured at the bottom of Ocean View hill last Sunday morning.

We were on the side of the road for 10-15 minutes, changing the tube etc. Not the greatest place to get a flat...Anyway there was a guy eyeing us out and after a while he approached us. At first we assumed he had bad intentions, but instead he told us that we should move along as quickly as possible as the area has become very unsafe. He mentioned that a number of bad eggs have returned to Ocean View from prison recently.

Don't forget the government let out 19,000 prisoners from jail during lockdown. It takes a miracle to get them in jail in the first instance

So I was in fact right, when this time I wish I was not...feck these people who steal our freedom so.

I've been wondering about the Tygerberg trails as well. I always feel 100% safe there. I think their remoteness counts in their favour. Not easy to get to, or escape from. Maybe the sections close to a road like at Faircape could be a bit dicey?

I remember a few years back there was an attempted bike jacking on the Bloemendaaler so nowhere would you be perfectly save. But I think in general not the easiest place to plan a bikejacking. Think the "easier pickings" are on the tar roads surrounding the area where there are far more cyclists.

I know I am fat but I don’t think getting run over by a car counts as bumped

Coming 3rd also doesn’t count as winning, but everybody uses their own creative license ;)

Headline should be: “Cyclist on his way to setting multiple KOMs records gets knocked over”

Edited by Patchelicious

Question for legal eagles. Normally you would go after the person that hits you insurance company for damages. If there is a car, could that be sold to compensate the person for being run over?

Assuming car not stolen etc

Question for legal eagles. Normally you would go after the person that hits you insurance company for damages. If there is a car, could that be sold to compensate the person for being run over?

Assuming car not stolen etc

Isn’t it up to your insurance company to look into recoveries?

Isn’t it up to your insurance company to look into recoveries?

for the cost of the bikes, probably. I am interested in other damages and would like the vehicle removed the person.

I am sick of their never being any loss from the attackers side. Some jail time which does not deter them really is all they get

for the cost of the bikes, probably. I am interested in other damages and would like the vehicle removed the person.

I am sick of their never being any loss from the attackers side. Some jail time which does not deter them really is all they get

once convicted the insurance company can sue the perp in personal capacity to recover their loss.

In the case where they are charged with reckless and negligent driving  then your injury treatment costs can be recovered.

However if this perp is caught there will likely be a hefty fine, additional charges jail time and loss of property to cover the legal costs including yours. It will take time which is why generally your insurance will cover your losses.(except emotional... I think)

once convicted the insurance company can sue the perp in personal capacity to recover their loss.

In the case where they are charged with reckless and negligent driving then your injury treatment costs can be recovered.

However if this perp is caught there will likely be a hefty fine, additional charges jail time and loss of property to cover the legal costs including yours. It will take time which is why generally your insurance will cover your losses.(except emotional... I think)

Thanks, so much I did not know.