Shocking incident between van driver and cyclists in Camps Bay

Surv0MTB

So.....

I was about to post if anyone know what happened.

Here's our experience.

We rode yesterday, we being our informal team of about 10 cyclists. As many would expect the roads were packed with cyclists. As we arrived in camps bay many of the faster of us riders rode off , thinking we racing the arghurst, obviously obeying the rules and laws of the road. As we knew yesterday there was a big walk that took place and that there were many volunteers on the road.

To correct you, it was a taxi. Rather a sponsored brand new van supplied/dedicated to the big walk. The guys you saw taking a beating we "youngish boys" must of been early 20's.

Anyway what had happened as you say and show in the vid, we were not aware. But as we stopped to regroup on the corner of sea point close to the lighthouse, we had a "taxi"(quantam van in question) pull up in front of us, and a bus vito van behind us, of about 15-20 guys got out. Ready to take revenge on us. Because of the "pepper spray" one of the 2 that was attacked was convinced it was "us", our colours are green black and white.

Eventually of about 15mins of argueuing with these guys they then realized it wasn't us. What they said was that one of the volunteers apparently "squirted" water on the cyclists and ended up as you said.

Not a nice experience, the team above is known to us, and their are members this forum part of that team. Disgusting if you ask me....

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unreal...

Those cyclists are way out of line

and that is just disgusting what they did, regardless of what the van was parked there for!!

Thats definitely going to give cyclists a bad name....

So.....

Here's our experience.

We rode yesterday, we being our informal team of about 10 cyclists. As many would expect the roads were packed with cyclists. As we arrived in camps bay many of the faster of us riders rode off , thinking we racing the arghurst, obviously obeying the rules and laws of the road. As we knew yesterday there was a big walk that took place and that there were many volunteers on the road.

To correct you, it was a taxi. Rather a sponsored brand new van supplied/dedicated to the big walk. The guys you saw taking a beating we "youngish boys" must of been early 20's.

Anyway what had happened as you say and show in the vid, we were not aware. But as we stopped to regroup on the corner of sea point close to the lighthouse, we had a "taxi"(quantam van in question) pull up in front of us, and a bus vito van behind us, of about 15-20 guys got out. Ready to take revenge on us. Because of the "pepper spray" one of the 2 that was attacked was convinced it was "us", our colours are green black and white.

Eventually of about 15mins of argueuing with these guys they then realized it wasn't us. What they said was that one of the volunteers apparently "squirted" water on the cyclists and ended up as you said.

Not a nice experience, the team above is known to us, and their are members this forum part of that team. Disgusting if you ask me....

Glad your group are okay. It just goes to illustrate how the poor behaviour of one group can affect all cyclists.

I am very disappointed that Hubbers would have been involved in that incident as the tense relationship between motorists and cyclists has been discussed ad nauseum on this forum.

No body goes that crazy over nothing.. watch towards the end of the video, it looks like a little guy got knocked off, he comes running around the vehicle hobbling, if the driver did bump some one off as a result of not concentrating then he got what was coming..

All cyclists hobble when they are not on their bikes.

Glad your group are okay. It just goes to illustrate how the poor behaviour of one group can affect all cyclists.

I am very disappointed that Hubbers would have been involved in that incident as the tense relationship between motorists and cyclists has been discussed ad nauseum on this forum.

Have you seen some of the comments coming from people on the hub? there are a lot of people who think aggression and violence can be used to sort issues out..

So.....

Here's our experience.

That could have ended up a lot worse for you guys because of tjops like these.

So.....

Here's our experience.

So you guys almost took a beating for something you guys did NOT even do!! Glad you guys never got an "unfair" beating Meezo and im sure 2 vans full, it wouldn't have ended nicely for you guys who were actually innocent!!

Hectic

I must admit when I read 'taxi incidents with group of cyclists' I immediately associated it with a Burry Stander situation however after watching the video, it's sad that a few cyclists can ruin the many positive efforts PPA and the city of cape town has made to legitimize the right of cyclists on the rd by enforcing the1,5 m rule.

Wish we as cyclists can't do more to apologise to the victims...yes the drivers in this case were not the aggressors but VICTIMS of cyclists 'mob justice'.

The other sad realization is that it's such a colored or 'gam' mentality, and if it's racist so be it because they have not only acted as individuals but the perception by the hub world tht sees this video is that non whites are animals to behave like this. I can say this because I'm colored too and am deeply distressed as there is no justification for this behavior.

Lastly without having to identify the group, I know the management of this cycling club would never condone this behavior and the many years of sacrifice Mr I has put in to develop and create a reputable club has been destroyed in 10 minutes. I'm actually embarrassed to wear the club kit for the argus.

What I think people should understand is the minute you put on a club or sponsored cycling top you are the Representative of that group no longer ' joe soap' the individual.

No matter what the guys in the minivan did, there is no excuse for violence. Disgusting lack of control, they are behaving like spoilt brats throwing a tantrum, because they didn't get their way. Hope they get charged for assault.

No body goes that crazy over nothing.. watch towards the end of the video, it looks like a little guy got knocked off, he comes running around the vehicle hobbling, if the driver did bump some one off as a result of not concentrating then he got what was coming..

Surely there is more to this...... That van driver must have done something to make these guys get so wild?

Which two of the violent knobs in the video are you ?

running with cleats tend to do that

Which two of the violent knobs in the video are you ?

No, niether.... But when you see such agression, you would assume there was provoking involved.

Regardless of what provoked it the behaviour is unacceptable... i never once condoned it.

Edited by Bat-ass