Show us your KOMs on Strava

Ryno.

Maybe it's just because I'm too slow to have any, but I don't really understand why people make such a big fuss about KOMs ons Strava segments.

Is it perhaps a case of caring too much about what your friends say and not enough about having the opportunity to just go ride?

Have you never tried to beat your personal best in anything, or set yourself a little goal on anything? KOMs are not much different to that - as you duly noted though, provided you're within reach.

Edited by Pall Catt

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The one KOM of mine that stands a bit out from the rest.. The first time on this segment it took my over 13 minutes. I just started cycling 6 months before that, and when I saw Die Brandweerman's time I really thought he did it on a MX bike, his time seemed impossible! Then 14 tries and 2 years later I got a day with perfect wind conditions and pushed like a madman on that segment, beating his time set almost 5 years ago with 19 seconds. Checking the results and I see someone else had the same idea as me that day, he also beat Die Brandweerman, but I still pipped him with 6 seconds. As happy as I was, I'm sure he was equally frustrated about that..

post-119556-0-33927300-1563372459_thumb.jpg

post-119556-0-33547100-1563372473_thumb.jpg

I must say, since I stopped using strava, I have enjoyed my riding and running way more.

I had/have a few KOMS in both disciplines but really, not knowing and not caring about segments has made my training so much easier, more enjoyable and more about me and my focus.

Using Strava on public is basically just social media through sport. It is entirely unnecessary and mostly egotistical.

Set to private and used in conjunction with training peaks etc then rad, but public Strava is just winky flinging.  :ph34r:

Edited by Jewbacca

I must say, since I stopped using strava, I have enjoyed my riding and running way more.

I had/have a few KOMS in both disciplines but really, not knowing and not caring about segments has made my training so much easier, more enjoyable and more about me and my focus.

Using Strava on public is basically just social media through sport. It is entirely unnecessary and mostly egotistical.

Set to private and used in conjunction with training peaks etc then rad, but public Strava is just winky flinging.

People in glass houses should not fling winkies is what you are saying? Edited by Thor Buttox

When Strava was still a relatively unknown entity I was a lot fitter than now, I had the KOM for The Glen.. talking 2008/9. I will try find the ride and post. 

The only KOM's I have these days are for downhills. 

When Strava was still a relatively unknown entity I was a lot fitter than now, I had the KOM for The Glen.. talking 2008/9. I will try find the ride and post. 

The only KOM's I have these days are for downhills. 

I miss the good old days when you could just ride slightly faster on a few side roads and when you get home check out all the random KOM's & Top 10's you picked up the morning

The one KOM of mine that stands a bit out from the rest.. The first time on this segment it took my over 13 minutes. I just started cycling 6 months before that, and when I saw Die Brandweerman's time I really thought he did it on a MX bike, his time seemed impossible! Then 14 tries and 2 years later I got a day with perfect wind conditions and pushed like a madman on that segment, beating his time set almost 5 years ago with 19 seconds. Checking the results and I see someone else had the same idea as me that day, he also beat Die Brandweerman, but I still pipped him with 6 seconds. As happy as I was, I'm sure he was equally frustrated about that..

attachicon.gifKOM 1.jpg

attachicon.gifKOM 2.jpg

So, you basically had to wait until you were riding the latest 'n greatest 29er till you could beat a KOM set on a rickety 3X9 26er XC bike weighing probably in the region of 14kg? 

giphy.gif

Set to private and used in conjunction with training peaks etc then rad, but public Strava is just winky flinging.  :ph34r:

Over the years I have built up a curated following of inspiring athletes with whom I can share my sporting journey. I focus on creating authentic engagement, driving a collective pursuit of athletic excellence. This has only been possible through Strava and the amazing performance insights and social tools it provides. 

#HardWorkBeatsTalentWhenTalentDoesntWorkHard

I don’t even bother with KOM’s, there are way to many much better riders around here, not to mention pros times on the more popular climbs.

It is nice comparing segments and seeing how your times progress or if you get a PR

I don’t even bother with KOM’s, there are way to many much better riders around here, not to mention pros times on the more popular climbs.

It is nice comparing segments and seeing how your times progress or if you get a PR

Pretty much the same here.

In SA where there are 500 to 1000 riders on a segment, I stood a chance once.

Here there are 100 000 riders on the segments, getting into the top 1000 is a good job.

Pretty much the same here.

In SA where there are 500 to 1000 riders on a segment, I stood a chance once.

Here there are 100 000 riders on the segments, getting into the top 1000 is a good job.

And the sobering thought is

Not everyone is on strava.....

And the sobering thought is

Not everyone is on strava.....

Yes, but with the progress of eBikes, all of the lazy couch potatoes will be soon!

If you are at SA champs and doing the ITT, then yes its fine.

Seems I need to find a faster truck. The one I sat behind resulted in me getting 61st on the leaderboard. Not bad for a 56.5Km/h average, over 1.7Km, and pushing out a scary 113W  :eek: