Puffy encounter

gerhardsnorbaard

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Beattbox said:

Came across this juvenile puffy in the Cecilia Forest carpark late yesterday afternoon. About 30cm in length.  

Puffy.jpg

Beautiful 👍

6 minutes ago, Beattbox said:

Indeed it was, but kept a healthy distance from it. My phone's camera has a very good zoom. 

Good thinking Baldrick, the little ones are just as poisonous as the big ones. Some say even more dangerous because they are more jittery and more likely to strike at you than a somewhat wiser big one. Also, the youngsters cannot yet control how much of a venom shot they give you, they just give you whatever they have. The big ones can control how much they inject and will often not give you a full syringe. 

On 1/14/2022 at 12:02 PM, copperhead said:

This dead guy next to the road. About 30 centimeters long. Maybe slightly longer. Bit sad. 

20220114_103831.jpg

Shame. I don't "like" snakes, but I don't wish them any harm. 

14 hours ago, copperhead said:

Time for fresh pants 😂

fortunately club bib shorts which are monumentallly *** anyway so not too unhappy about soiling them :)

did any of you see the vid of the black mamba and puff adder going at each other over the weekend ?

58 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

did any of you see the vid of the black mamba and puff adder going at each other over the weekend ?

Was a BMW, sword and a Dachshund involved ?

• 3 months later...

This little guy was in the path on last nights ride. Not sure what had happened to him - a head injury - but he was dead.

IMG_0526a.JPG.68c35c8d9be03d0d93eb11e11bb04ca7.JPG

We had a good sized puffy in the garden the other day, thankfully we got it it before all the dogs piled in. Quick flip into a bucket and it was released on a rockpile in a nearby abandoned farm. All of a sudden I am being very careful in the long grass in the fields and reaching under logs etc...

Oddly excited to find this thread.

I was hiking up Inferno 1 at Boschendal on Monday and two large puffys were mating as they slid down the hill side together.

Sadly I was unable to record the remarkable encounter because I was hiking up to look for my phone that jumped out my pocket on the way down.

• 7 months later...

Saw this mole snake trying to cross the road by Big Bay on Monday. I stopped and herded it back up the revetment into the bushes or else it was going to become road kill.

I must admit I got a proper fright when I first saw it lying in the cycle path directly ahead of me. 

After I stopped and took a better look I saw it was only a mole snake and not a cobra. Around here they look very similar at first glance. This one was quite a beautiful specimen with some copper tones that shimmered as it moves.

IMG_20221222_215023.jpg.b669291220edbe42ee072345951dfcfc.jpg