Dopers suck

fandacious

I was close enough to the Neotel sponsorship to tell you that was absolutely not the case. The main driving force behind the team was absolutely gutted to pull the plug, but it was his call to do so. They had specifically put a clause into the sponsorship stating as much... as a deterrent, yet it still went South when a rider crossed the line and cost all his friends their jobs...

The owner could of kept it going, but he was adamant a stance must be made.

Not that it ever seems to change anything - but it was a noble act at the time. That team found a lot of talent at least  :thumbup:

Thanks for the insight Andrew. This is clearly a case then of sponsorship by passion. Internally I'm sure here was a lot of pressure to spend the money elsewhere anyway but that will be hard to confirm

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife was the Coach and Manager of the SA Junior Elite Triathlon squad at Gold Coast last month, and is currently with the two juniors at Youth Olympics.  Both her Junior girls were tested and she reckons she has never seen tests been done so thoroughly.  She was actually quite shocked.  Lets just say the testers made absolutely certain that the urine they needed for the sample came directly out of the athlete....

And blood tests too.  I'm glad.  They have obviously been given a directive to target the Juniors before it gets out of hand.

My wife was the Coach and Manager of the SA Junior Elite Triathlon squad at Gold Coast last month, and is currently with the two juniors at Youth Olympics.  Both her Junior girls were tested and she reckons she has never seen tests been done so thoroughly.  She was actually quite shocked.  Lets just say the testers made absolutely certain that the urine they needed for the sample came directly out of the athlete....

And blood tests too.  I'm glad.  They have obviously been given a directive to target the Juniors before it gets out of hand.

It's definitely the way to go... take away them even thinking it's an option early on. Because once they are in that circle, there is no going back. 

But thats how testing is done. If you race as a junior at international level you are tested the same way as any other athlete is tested. 

Anti doping events: SwartBerg100 GF, j2c, sani2c, Berg n Bush, 3 Towers.

Not so anti doping: Freedom MTB Race.

Not swartberg, y de villiers won female and david george 3rd in men! this year, I could not believe how the MC kept on talking too and about David George at the start

They should have a ceremony where the dopers have to present their medals to the actual winners - along with any prize money and a healthy portion of humble pie. Cheating twats.

And afterwards the crowd can chuck them with rotten veggies[emoji48]

And afterwards the crowd can chuck them with rotten veggies[emoji48]

Frozen veggies! Dipped in petrol! And lit! Using a cannon! With a few steel balls in between...

I think it's fair to say I'm pretty pissed. I thought I was over my little doper hissy fits but apparently I'm not :-)

There might be some truth in this but certainly not in all cases. I remember when DG got pinged Nedbank immediately suspended the sponsorship of the whole 360Life team and Nedbank never bothered to sponsor a pro team since - hard to argue that things like that doesn't hurt the sport. I am sure there are potential team sponsors that keep away from the sport or stick with sponsoring funrides because they wont risk being tainted by being associated with dopers.

It only 'harms the sport' where 'the sport' is tied to incomes. When I see riders banned and sponsors walking away, I think 'outstanding'. Then I go and do 'the sport' :)

Rogues gallery all right. With his physique, I always did wonder how it was that Ben Melt, as exceptional an athlete as he is, wasn't 'top top'. Spose that's the difference between 'natty' and 'juiced', right?

The issue is not about prize money. It's the glory that was denied as well as the achievement. Will never know what the other athletes missed out on by being denied the win or podium. And nothing can change that years later.

The issue is not about prize money. It's the glory that was denied as well as the achievement. Will never know what the other athletes missed out on by being denied the win or podium. And nothing can change that years later.

Worse, confidence is an amazing thing. Winning probably would have had a massive impact on training and future performance if clean and winning.

Still think these tools should be charged with fraud - no difference between this and stealing from your business.