Bad bike services

Zein

Regardless of the versions from either side there is once again a point to be made around the level of technical competency.

Most wouldn't take their car to an unqualified motor mechanic. Why would they then take their bicycle to an unqualified mechanic?

A national and international qualification for bicycle mechanics exists in SA. The customer should be asking "is my/the shop's mechanic qualified?".

I don't care what my lbs mechanics qualifications are. I've gotten to know him over the years and his care and attention to detail means I drop my bike off there without a care. (Daryn at Williams Bike Shop)

I'll trust a self thought mech like him any day above someone with a qualification that I don't know.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering some bikes are worth more than cars it’s strange the industry hasn’t adopted this already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Naah , bikes are way less complex than cars.

And I don't think our bike industry is mature enough to support this.

Sorry to say, but both parties in this matter give me an uncomfortable feeling, and their interactions in this thread don't make it any better.  Maybe we just have a case of knuckleheads on both sides, and frankly, they deserve each other? 

Regardless of the versions from either side there is once again a point to be made around the level of technical competency.

Most wouldn't take their car to an unqualified motor mechanic. Why would they then take their bicycle to an unqualified mechanic?

A national and international qualification for bicycle mechanics exists in SA. The customer should be asking "is my/the shop's mechanic qualified?".

This was my point on a different thread, the qualification exists and a lot of work has been done to make it a formal trade or qualification in this country. the problem is most bike shops (No all, but the majority) don't recognize the value or importance of putting their mechanics through a formal trade. At best they have spanner flippers who generally can fix a bike, but lack certain skills and knowledge when it comes to some of the finer details of bike repair. Replacing bearings a point in case.

Like any workshop, the mechanics need to be qualified under the general qualification of their trade, but then be constantly trained and up-skilled on the constant evolving of technology of the industry.

So here's a message to all you bike shop owners

If your spanner flipper is not qualified and/or being constantly up-skilled he should not be allowed to work on bikes unsupervised - No matter how good you or he may think he is.

If your staff, both in the workshop and the retail floor, have not been trained or have the skill in the basic principals of customer retention, then better you start training them or getting rid of them, or you be spending more time defending them than running a business.

on an aside...those that don't tinker themselves, you take your bike in and you don't really do an assessment of the condition beforehand or your components ... maybe bike shops should start doing it like a car service they go around noting damages when you hand the car over and sign for it - cover themselves and the client, or the client can tick the checkbox waiver if they can't be arsed. 

dc9b1481af411e36c77804576f407135.jpg

b8bc66c9d73380b40cd3c14de42592e7.jpg

1c1de1a80c2bdcd7cb3f704569e5e255.jpg

Zein can comment on above chips etc

That is really crap workmanship, if they caused that when replacing pivot bearings. Another reason I do my own work on my bike

Have you looked at what it costs to get certified?

In order for a shop or individual to recoup that sort of cost the customer is going to be paying vehicle labour rates.

I don't care what my lbs mechanics qualifications are. I've gotten to know him over the years and his care and attention to detail means I drop my bike off there without a care. (Daryn at Williams Bike Shop)

I'll trust a self thought mech like him any day above someone with a qualification that I don't know.

Now that brings back in a very simple formula for Williams Bike Shop!

I trust William 100% ----> William would only employ staff he trusts 100% ------> therefore I would trust his staff 100%

I took my bike to a shop here in the CBD to get wheels trued. Before taking the bike they inspected it in front of me (seems to be their policy, as they have a comprehensive check list to fill in before work starts). This covers the bike shop.

On the other hand, my regular shop has had my business since opening their doors, and I just leave my bike there (sometimes without even seeing the owner)

I took my bike to a shop here in the CBD to get wheels trued. Before taking the bike they inspected it in front of me (seems to be their policy, as they have a comprehensive check list to fill in before work starts). This covers the bike shop.

On the other hand, my regular shop has had my business since opening their doors, and I just leave my bike there (sometimes without even seeing the owner)

you have two options in the CBD ...  one on the Foreshore and one higher up on Bree Str ... sounds to me like you were at the Bree Str option?