The Veganism Thread

Odinson

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What has really helped us eat less meat is Gousto meals. They have some incredible meat free recipes, and cost effective too.

We spend about £35 a week on 4 dinners for my wife and myself.

how is the variety over there vs what one can find in SA?

It makes sense though right? The number one killer in 1st world countries is Cardiovascular disease and diabetes. And the only scientifically proven cure for those issues is a whole food, plant based diet. So my take is that, this message is getting out there and people are willing to give it a try. It's super encouraging.

Can you imagine how much load gets taken off of your health care system if people just change their diet. Individuals win - Countries win - Animals win. Win - Win - Win. What's not to like.

Where did you get info on this .> scientifically proven cure for those issues is a whole food,

WRT it being a win for animals, what do you think happens to all the animals that are not seen when a piece of land is used to grow food for humans?

The worms, rats, snakes etc ?

Or do you only see the animals people eat as animals?

Where did you get info on this .> scientifically proven cure for those issues is a whole food,

WRT it being a win for animals, what do you think happens to all the animals that are not seen when a piece of land is used to grow food for humans?

Id like a try at answering the second one.

The theory is that animal agriculture takes up WAY more land than plant agriculture. By reducing livestock land, we get back more veggie land than is necessary and thus the nett effect is more places for wild indigenous animals.

There are some theories floating around that the current land allocated for growing plant crops are already sufficient to supply the entire human population with edible plants already .

I will try find some good sources (google scholar type stuff) when I am in front of a computer. on a mobile at he moment.

There are a number of studies done on this:

1) The China Study

2) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10496449

3) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5971679/#r51

4) https://www.nature.com/articles/nutd20173

Definitely all animals are animals, but I doubt the snakes, rats and worms are being slaughtered by the billions. I was referring to the poor guys in over filled pens, standing in their own waste etc. pumped full of antibiotics and hormones, who's only solace is to land up on the end of meat hook. 

Tried Spar's vegetarian burgers last night....don't bother....even my dogs thought twice about eating them and they think cat crap is a treat....!

checkers "simple truth" make decent ones

I know theres a lot of people who eats meat that don't take pills. But my point is just supplementation isn't just a vegan thing.

You need to pay more attention in school, it will help you to string a coherent sentence together.

all this talk of supplementation...

Been plant based for nearing three years now. Have a blood test done every year  (last one was a few weeks ago) and have zero deficiencies.

The ONLY thing i do is use a B12 fortified soy milk in my coffee.

Thats hardly having to swallow mouthfulls of pills. Sure, its not entirely natural, but neither is the antibiotics and hormones given to livestock. so I am happy to accept that small action. 

There are a number of studies done on this:

1) The China Study

2) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10496449

3) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5971679/#r51

4) https://www.nature.com/articles/nutd20173

Definitely all animals are animals, but I doubt the snakes, rats and worms are being slaughtered by the billions. I was referring to the poor guys in over filled pens, standing in their own waste etc. pumped full of antibiotics and hormones, who's only solace is to land up on the end of meat hook. 

Post No. 15 in this very thread discussed the China Study, and why you shouldn't take it too seriously. 

That stat I posted about the line of chickens circling the world 6 times for Super Bowl Sunday, waiting to be killed has been weighing on me. So I made the decision today to try and give up cow, bird and varkie. 

I like steak, a lot, so it is going to be tough, but I think my conscience has started outweighing my taste buds.

That stat I posted about the line of chickens circling the world 6 times for Super Bowl Sunday, waiting to be killed has been weighing on me. So I made the decision today to try and give up cow, bird and varkie. 

I like steak, a lot, so it is going to be tough, but I think my conscience has started outweighing my taste buds.

Fish have feelings too...

Just wait till you are next at a braai and the "But isn't chicken a vegetable?" jokes come thick and fast....!

But good for you. Sadly chickens are probably one of the most exploited animals out there....

Fish have feelings too...

While I realize that, my personal concern for their feelings does not outweigh my desire to stop eating animal similar my dachies. Right now, I just picture fish wearing short Falke socks.

I might need to have an egg and fish every now and again to help me stick to this diet. I fear if I give too much up in go, I might fail and relapse too easily.

Who knows, one day I might care about fish.

Edited by Patchelicious