Cape Town Cycle Tour 2021

Chingy182

That is a complete possibility, if you look at the past few years odd number years always have some sort of an issue:

2015: Fires and shortened race

2016: Cracker of a day

2017: Wind and Cancelled race

2018: Cracker of a day

2019: WIND and much pain and suffering

2020: Cracker of a day, depending on when you started as my father in law had to pedal downhill to Camps bay

2021: Who knows, let's hope it breaks the pattern.

Really hope it does go ahead, even if it is just a chilled ride on closed roads.

Ja Ja, We will still race.

Are your wife and her Dad also (planning on) riding? 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anyone do a full argus in may2020?

full lockdown, exercise 6-9am

i know many people did the ballpark distance in that window, did anyone ever do the basic route?

Sjoe you would need to really go for it to do a sub 3 with traffic, robots etc.

Ja Ja, We will still race.

Are your wife and her Dad also (planning on) riding? 

Haha, I know, there is no such thing as a chilled ride.

Definitely, accommodation is booked and paid for, if the race doesn't go ahead we have super easy access from our accommodation to the cycle path that goes to Melkbos so will just ride that a few times, not the same scenery but still worth it. Argus is a small fraction of our time spent in Cape Town and I am damn sure the local tourism industry can do with every R1 that they get.

Sjoe you would need to really go for it to do a sub 3 with traffic, robots etc.

Not only that, you wouldn't be able to do the Eastern Blvd or M3 stretch, and any alternative route adds significant time imo.

Jase619 that is a very real reality !!

Each and every "fun ride" that gets cancelled is a lot of money lost to local charities ....

The larger events also brings in a lot of money for the local tourism industry.

Stop the events, to save lives and you destroy even more lives .....

We need those vaccines super fast ....

Jase619 that is a very real reality !!

Each and every "fun ride" that gets cancelled is a lot of money lost to local charities ....

The larger events also brings in a lot of money for the local tourism industry.

Stop the events, to save lives and you destroy even more lives .....

We need those vaccines super fast ....

Ey?

And how many more lives are destroyed by having an event creating a health risk? 

Lives and livelihoods are interlinked.

Matric Rage, perfect example for Gauteng attendees. Of approx 1034 attendees tested, more than 90% tested positive and at the time spread it amongst another 30 families. 

So with a rough 2% mortality rate and 15% of 'recoveries' showing long term to permanent effects. The destruction of lives and livelihoods is compounded then, and spread out even further. 

Events make up a large portion of my income, and I don't believe hard lockdown measures are a solution. Especially here in SA where the balance is so delicate. At the same time absolutely cannot agree with the statement in bold, because as much as gov has fkd up, so is our behaviour as the public at events. 

So the many pay for the few, again.

Edited by Danger Dassie

Of approx 1034 attendees, more than 90% tested positive and at the time spread it amongst another 30 families. 

I get your larger point and I fully agree - but just because this is the internet I want to nitpick on one of your minor points

The news reports on this just feels super dodgy to me, if it is correct it would be a world record breaking super spreader event. I haven't seen any news of anywhere in the world where anywhere near 90% of people attending a large event got infected (and I tried to look it up) - as comparison on the infamous Diamond Princess cruiseboat incident less than 20% of passengers got infected

Ja, look. 

Stopping events does not destroy more lives. Events that accommodate thousands (tens of thousands) are not organised by thousands (or tens of thousands).

Having mass participation events are unnecessary and create unnecessary risk. Regardless of the reporting or the accuracy. No one NEEDS to do a race or a fun ride. Just like getting together in groups of 20 to hike or ride is currently 100% unnecessary, yet I see it all the time.

Until we change our behaviour, this thing along with all it's restrictions (however rational or irrational) are here to stay.

Rage is definitely unnecessary. The fact that anybody let that happen is embarrassing. 

I get your larger point and I fully agree - but just because this is the internet I want to nitpick on one of your minor points

The news reports on this just feels super dodgy to me, if it is correct it would be a world record breaking super spreader event. I haven't seen any news of anywhere in the world where anywhere near 90% of people attending a large event got infected (and I tried to look it up) - as comparison on the infamous Diamond Princess cruiseboat incident less than 20% of passengers got infected

Sure. Not 90% of people attending though, but as a percentage of a group tested, who attended. Should have have stipulated that, have edited the post.

No expert but do agree that the percentage raises questions, then again given the behaviour (and most likely prior) at these kinds of events I wouldn't be surprised either. 

Was fortunate to be at an event where NHLS/NICD introduced extra mobile testing and screening labs. Overheard an incredibly frustrated conversation on the challenges with contact tracing for NICD and how it put a drain on their resources.

Let me try again ....

Given the current situation events should not happen.

Event such as the matric rage, parties, etc are downright irresponsible.

It would be "convenient" to see sporting events through different glasses ... but we would be deluding ourselves about the pre and post race realities ...

So to save lives, and stop the spread, events should not be hosted.

Now for the second part of my statement .... each and every ride in Worcester/Boland area is sponsored by local businesses, and a significant portion of entry fees goes to charities in the area. THESE charities have already lost out badly in 2020 .... and set to loose out even more in 2021.

NO, I am not suggesting rides go ahead "just" to support the charities.

We only miss out on a fun day .... these charities loose out way more ...

It's a no-brainer that under current circumstances events are impossible.

Hopefully by the end of January(?)/mid Feb smaller events could be possible again (with adustments etc) but I see no way that something like the CTCT is happening again until the virus is fully under control.

Hopefully by the end of January(?)/mid Feb smaller events could be possible again (with adustments etc) but I see no way that something like the CTCT is happening again until the virus is fully under control.

crazy that they haven't canceled or postponed yet...

I dunno... I am of the opinion that events should pack up shop until well past the virus being under control.

Global patterns show that as soon as the curve flattens and people are allowed some leeway, things just rev up again and we land up back where we started.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a massive fan of lockdowns and government regulated movement and trade, but what recent history shows is that, given half a chance, the spread intensifies immediately. (Death rates and those dying also seem to be changing.)

Events and mass gatherings are unfortunately part of the half chance it needs. Be it pre race registration, start chutes, during race contact or post race revelry, it is contact outside the bubble.

What I have also noticed is that social distancing and sport seem to be impossible. I've seen the same guys who whinge about taxi over crowding and people not wearing their masks in the street pose for 7000 selfies in a group of 30 while out on a run/ride. No masks, in tight, touching each others sweaty backs smiling like it's 2019...

CTCT should jump on the bandwagon, do a series of virtual rides under the banner, create some 2020 cheer and tell everyone that they will look at organising a race when it's safe to do so. 

Close the book. I have event/race organiser friends who have moved to Knysna to work in forestry, others have stated doing private coaching etc...

Can it now until this passes. Okes will be frothing to enter anything when it all opens up again. But continually trying to plan anything during the next few  months is going to be impossible and just get everybody 25 steps closer to cancer.

I dunno... I am of the opinion that events should pack up shop until well past the virus being under control.

Global patterns show that as soon as the curve flattens and people are allowed some leeway, things just rev up again and we land up back where we started.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a massive fan of lockdowns and government regulated movement and trade, but what recent history shows is that, given half a chance, the spread intensifies immediately. (Death rates and those dying also seem to be changing.)

Events and mass gatherings are unfortunately part of the half chance it needs. Be it pre race registration, start chutes, during race contact or post race revelry, it is contact outside the bubble.

What I have also noticed is that social distancing and sport seem to be impossible. I've seen the same guys who whinge about taxi over crowding and people not wearing their masks in the street pose for 7000 selfies in a group of 30 while out on a run/ride. No masks, in tight, touching each others sweaty backs smiling like it's 2019...

CTCT should jump on the bandwagon, do a series of virtual rides under the banner, create some 2020 cheer and tell everyone that they will look at organising a race when it's safe to do so. 

Close the book. I have event/race organiser friends who have moved to Knysna to work in forestry, others have stated doing private coaching etc...

Can it now until this passes. Okes will be frothing to enter anything when it all opens up again. But continually trying to plan anything during the next few  months is going to be impossible and just get everybody 25 steps closer to cancer.

Also easier said than done without any options of assistance, not everyone can find an alternative or scale back enough and still make a plan to survive.

Advendurance, Pursuit Challenge etc have managed to hold smaller scale events with a number of adaptions and restrictions. 

Mini local races with small numbers, bunches < 50, no hospitality, etc. poses less risk than restaurants remaining open. Not zero risk, but a controlled risk. The same logic holds as with restaurants. We put protocols in place and while not perfect it's then each individual that decides if the risk is worth it.

CTCT however has some superspreader risk...