Cape Town Cycle Tour 2021

Chingy182

4 hours ago, FootballingCyclist said:

Saw you out yesterday, Went past you and a few guys headed towards Fish Hoek circle, Then you came past me again on the back of the train of okes racing in single file DC style then you pulled in by the famous wall before the dip down in Glencairn to the foot of Black Hill, I was on your wheel. #PanicTraining

Say 'howzeet' next time, Bruuuu. ????

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, FootballingCyclist said:

Still trying to master the talking whilst not being able to breath thing.

Ja nee; Sounds like emergency training 

Think ill just aim for a finish this year haha. But i know myself…somewhere someone ( most probably @Jewbacca - and then he’ll embarrass me) is going to become my benchmark and ill want to chase them all the way and burn myself out by 3/4

7 hours ago, Mamil said:

Nothing like the start of taper week to make me want to ride my bike even more than usual. 

Awake at 5.30am plotting epic rides to neighbouring towns. 

Constant talk about Sundays weather has S. O. saying "its OK if you want to skip the second day of the hike" offering a pass out of the hitherto compulsory 2 day Cape Point hike scheduled for Friday and Saturday. Dare I take it? 

What is it about this ridiculous ride? I have the enormous privilege of riding a similar route every weekend.... But for weeks in advance I'm planning my route / outfit / bike service..... 

day 2 of that hike is like 15km. that's basically a day if rest.

6 hours ago, WesleyR said:

Anyone know where we can get a test done cheaply in JHB, wanna do it before arriving in CT

you know the test involves someone shoving an earbud a long way up your nose..do you really want to shop around for the lowest cost option on this one?

6 hours ago, Duane_Bosch said:

Wishing all of you cats a safe and fast ride. Wind predictions for Sunday are looking even betterer than they did last week. To all the uitlanders. Please have an amazing time and spend lots and lots of cash in all of the touristy areas. We need your money.

while it is still too far out to have an accurate prediction on this one just yet. all indicators are pointing towards nice conditions for bike riding currently.

I believe there's no specific e bike category this year? Is this true? 

I therefore assume results in this year's event won't have any bearing on next year's?

18 hours ago, cadenceblur said:

I believe there's no specific e bike category this year? Is this true? 

I therefore assume results in this year's event won't have any bearing on next year's?

Maybe they realised that ebikes are "no-risk" to the front runners in this type of event.

To even begin to run with the big boys you are going to have to de-restrict the ebike, and then you will be running through batteries like crazy ....

only real risk being a team approach where an ebike rider "tows" a buddy along the first half .... but you can just see the bunch latch onto that wheel ....

With 20 000 riders .... how many are truly at the sharp end of the field ?  Let the ebikers enjoy the day with the other 19 000 ....  (and PLEASE, ebikers dont screw it up for the rest of us that still want to do this one)

2 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Maybe they realised that ebikes are "no-risk" to the front runners in this type of event.

To even begin to run with the big boys you are going to have to de-restrict the ebike, and then you will be running through batteries like crazy ....

only real risk being a team approach where an ebike rider "tows" a buddy along the first half .... but you can just see the bunch latch onto that wheel ....

With 20 000 riders .... how many are truly at the sharp end of the field ?  Let the ebikers enjoy the day with the other 19 000 ....  (and PLEASE, ebikers dont screw it up for the rest of us that still want to do this one)

A few weeks back I caught a small group early in my ride, at that stage they were doing mid 20's km/h. Dude at the back was on a Spez e MTB of sorts.

We hit a decline and the groups speed went up into the mid 30's, dude on the e-Bike dropped off the back of them. Since I was trying to do a zone 2 ride I had let them go, I soon caught him and had a chat, says he struggles on the flats and downs to keep up, on the hills he pulls them up.

Then on Sunday I dropped my bike off with the transport guy to take it to cape town, he was busy picking up an e-mtb to put it on the trailer. Had a chat, he says he is either going to start charging alot more for ebikes or stop transporting them as 10 ebike is like having 30 normal bikes on the rig, the extra weight is an issue.

2 minutes ago, ouzo said:

A few weeks back I caught a small group early in my ride, at that stage they were doing mid 20's km/h. Dude at the back was on a Spez e MTB of sorts.

We hit a decline and the groups speed went up into the mid 30's, dude on the e-Bike dropped off the back of them. Since I was trying to do a zone 2 ride I had let them go, I soon caught him and had a chat, says he struggles on the flats and downs to keep up, on the hills he pulls them up.

Then on Sunday I dropped my bike off with the transport guy to take it to cape town, he was busy picking up an e-mtb to put it on the trailer. Had a chat, he says he is either going to start charging alot more for ebikes or stop transporting them as 10 ebike is like having 30 normal bikes on the rig, the extra weight is an issue.

I regularly ride along Bottelary road, which seems flat, but has some 100+m of climbing along the rolling hills - me on the Darvinn Connect ebike (limited at 32km/h)

Along the flats I can barely keep up with 2 roadies working together.  A lone rider is easier to catch.  On the uphills they use my slip stream, make no mistake, I WORK to keep it 32km/h up those rises and hear them gasping for breath trying to keep up.  Then once we get past the traffic circle .... nothing I can do ... they just dissapear into the distance when there is a glimmer of a downhill.

As much fun as that is, I SEE the drain on the battery when I play like that !!!  

14 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

I regularly ride along Bottelary road, which seems flat, but has some 100+m of climbing along the rolling hills - me on the Darvinn Connect ebike (limited at 32km/h)

Along the flats I can barely keep up with 2 roadies working together.  A lone rider is easier to catch.  On the uphills they use my slip stream, make no mistake, I WORK to keep it 32km/h up those rises and hear them gasping for breath trying to keep up.  Then once we get past the traffic circle .... nothing I can do ... they just dissapear into the distance when there is a glimmer of a downhill.

As much fun as that is, I SEE the drain on the battery when I play like that !!!  

you battery or the bikes :) 

I think he said he was limited to somewhere in the 20s