Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

Seems many people scared of the dark so between 6h00 and 7h00 it gives me a nice window where the roads are really quiet.

My only real gripe is why so many cyclists can only ride their bikes if it is in large groups - seriously people, it only takes one over-zealous cop who doesn't want to look the other way... (and if you are all wearing matching club kit it's going to be hard to convince him it's a coincidence you are all together in the same spot)

I've told people many times....i love and ride bicycles, but I hate 'cyclists'....

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lekker Chris. How was your maiden voyage on that beauty? My mate in Canada ordered a Trance E yesterday.

Super impressed !

For 70 minutes I kept an average 120 bpm, without ever hurting my knees.

My ITB still needs a good bit of rehab though !!  Felt it during the latter part of the ride.  

It is very easy to turn down the "assist" level, and push up your hart rate as and when you want.  So you CAN have a decent workout, as per what your body allows.  And yet you can go so much further than what your body allows ....

Yesterday I was having to sit up and slow down to keep a safe distance from other riders (I knew they would pass me on the next downhill, so no need to pass them at that point)  But it was incredible see JUST how much this baby can help up the hills, and was only on level 3 of 5.  Today I did the first section with the motor off, then opted for level 1 and a big gear at the back to just idle along behind Maritz in our area.  So it is possible to have fun at 30+km/h, and you can also idle along with slow riders.

EDIT - European bikes are limited at 25km/h.  In America, ie the Giant, the speed assits limit is 20mph / 32km/h.  The Anthem 2 is absolutely seamless in exceeding this speed limit under your own power on the slightest downhill.  You are going to need serious legs to exceed that limit on uphills though ....  The gearing on the Anthem got me above 40km/h before spinning out.

Hopping onto a pavement I was reminded this is one heavy beast !!  You dont feel it while riding on tar, but will need to adapt your style slightly off road.  Heard of this on EMBN, but still to try it out for myself when our trails eventually open.  This morning I played around with this, and if you compress the suspension first it is easier to lift the front wheel onto the pavement.  Probably best to do some skills sessions before heading out onto technical trails, just to get the feel sorted.

SUPER GLAD I bought it !!

Edited by ChrisF

Kalmeer net so bietjie mense. Already this morning I could see the numbers on chappies had halved. And tomorrow I expect them to halve again as the lure of Netflix and FB become harder to ignore. And the call of the couch becomes more and more loud.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Much less people out today. Still a lekker vibe between everyone. Still okes having social garage coffee. Still some bunches. Still enjoyed myself.

MUCH quieter today ... possibly because of some late mist.

Those that were out seemed to be the regular joggers, walkers and cyclists, as well as a few families that walked to the nearest parks with their toddlers.

At a guess, maybe 80% wore masks.

GOOD vibe out there !

Kalmeer net so bietjie mense. Already this morning I could see the numbers on chappies had halved. And tomorrow I expect them to halve again as the lure of Netflix and FB become harder to ignore. And the call of the couch becomes more and more loud.

the weather around the mountain is a bit k*k at the moment though...I expect it to pick up again when the sun is shining a bit more. this is epic netflix and chill weather lol

Much quieter today. All the Karens are suffering from some DOMS.

maybe yesterdays 2km walk around the block tore some ligaments .... 

Those that were out seemed to be the regular joggers, walkers and cyclists, as well as a few families that walked to the nearest parks with their toddlers.

GOOD vibe out there !

Ja same here. Much more masks today tho. I’m learning how to make road riding fun tho. Just stick to the pavement ????

P.s. not sure that's allowed. It defeats the object of the 5km radius. The radius is to prevent people congregating. So forcing a radius around a person's house does that. If people could drive then they would all drive to a local park or area that is congusive to walking or running and there would be undue congestion in that area

If those surfers drove to the beach then they are even more in the wrong they already are

I live less than 2km from Big Bay. I just did a short hop there to get my daughter out of the house for a short while, but ja, after seeing the mess of people stampeding all around, we decided to cut it short and are not planning that again.

my 5km radius extends halfway to Robben Island...(not that I can do anything with that...)

Edited by Robbie Stewart

GOOD vibe out there !

Blouberg promenade (if I can call it that) was chockas, even worse than yesterday. Folks were now stampeding both sides of the road, on ocean side and on Doodle's side...I pulled my buff higher, and increased cadence.

Blouberg beachfront was chaos. A poor guy on a TT bike T-boned a car that had pulled out in front of him and then sped away. He could move, but didn't look in a good way as he was taken away in an ambulance. Hope he is OK. His bike frame had snapped in three places.

Noted that both Tafelberg and Signal Hill roads were closed to cars, cyclists & runners alike which was disappointing since these are the two longest stretches of road well within my 5km radius.

Seems like the argument is that these roads essentially form part of the Table Mountain National Park but maybe someone with some legal background can clarify? 

I can understand them stopping cars but if you are on your bike or on foot doesn’t seem unreasonable...

Also found it to be alot quieter today. But lots of groups of 4 or 5 cyclists. Idiots.

Yeah I saw a few of those, would be nice to have some form of air based dart gun to help encourage punctures.

Noted that both Tafelberg and Signal Hill roads were closed to cars, cyclists & runners alike which was disappointing since these are the two longest stretches of road well within my 5km radius.

Seems like the argument is that these roads essentially form part of the Table Mountain National Park but maybe someone with some legal background can clarify? 

I can understand them stopping cars but if you are on your bike or on foot doesn’t seem unreasonable...

As far as I know, the roads are still in Parks territory, and the "city land" starts on the other side of the armco, below the road.