Review: 2021 Specialized S-Works Epic

Bike Hub Features

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let be honest, we all have stuff that is beyond our league...many people have shoes capable of running the comrades, yet the wearers only do a park run. If you can afford the fancy running shoes, why not...just because the costs multiples of the shoes, doesn’t change the principle

Is it only when Specialized release new bikes that people loose their sh!t over the prices and these arguments start?

I didn’t follow the Cannondale thread but I recall these same arguments last year....and the year before..????

Seems new bikes released into the market make some people cross and some people happy

Look, from experience, if you buy an expensive race car and drive it to work and back, the bumps in the road, the speed bumps, the parking garage ramps etc will all start getting really annoying.

So you CAN drive it and you CAN get around these things, but in the long run an equally as expensive car with more suited suspension and drive set up will give you all the thrills with way less down side.

So by all means buy it, but there are better options for you with all the glamour.

No offence meant, being on the wrong bike sucks and spending 200k to be on the wrong bike is an expensive learning curve you could avoid by just buying the Evo

snip

...the bumps in the road, the speed bumps, the parking garage ramps etc will all start getting really annoying.

So you CAN drive it and you CAN get around these things, but in the long run an equally as expensive car with more suited suspension and drive set up will give you all the thrills with way less down side.

snip

landrovers aren't exactly racecars are they?....but ill agree that even a tractor will handle urban bumps better :ph34r:  :P 

landrovers aren't exactly racecars are they?....but ill agree that even a tractor will handle urban bumps better :ph34r:  :P 

hahahahaha I didn't always own an oil distributor!

hahahahaha I didn't always own an oil distributor!

midlife crises? The landy usually comes after those?

You look REALLY young for your age then haha

PS: sorry for the quick derail. cant always help it. :ph34r:

will just leave this here ......Only a rare few can ride a modern XC bike to its full potential.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1570091909825042&id=293390774161835

Yup, and that's why the masses should rather opt for the Evo - easier to ride well. Marathon bikes don't leave room for error (although the modern ones leave a little more than the older ones). Bikes like the Epic Evo and Stumpy ST make up for the lack in skill. 

Let be honest, we all have stuff that is beyond our league...many people have shoes capable of running the comrades, yet the wearers only do a park run. If you can afford the fancy running shoes, why not...just because the costs multiples of the shoes, doesn’t change the principle

Like those brightly coloured Solomons trail running shoes. I've only seen them on people not even capable of running to the toilet.  :ph34r:

I personally find it embarrassing if my performance doesn't match the gear. And when I look at these s-works riders that climb up all the way to Saaltjie only to turn around at the trailhead (some even stop and take a photo of the board) and take the fire road down again, I just think to myself...money can buy you nice things (which I have plenty myself too), but norrafok can it buy you skills and balls.

Edited by stefmeister

I thought we're talking Lambo Urus here?  The top Range Rover are getting close to race-car status. 

I'd love an Epic in my arsenal but I'd break it swiftly I suspect and I would not be able to do many of the things I do on my big heavy bike. That said, why are we arguing about the price of  what is actually a niche bike for Spesh, everywhere except maybe here and Brazil. The rest of the world rides trail and enduro bikes.

10 years ago I got back into riding after a few years carb loading (achieving said mammal status) looked at the market, everybody and their dog where riding Epics, I got an Epic...rode it for a few months, swore a lot, swapped it for a Stumpy and a few years later to a Camber

I moved away from Spec when the Camber was dropped but am thinking of going the Evo route now.

Edited by Markellis