Review: 2021 Specialized S-Works Epic

Bike Hub Features

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The SLX version is “only” R78k. So not really R190k. What would the frameset options be? See the previous now “old” frameset sells for R40k.

It would be interesting to hear how many S-Works Epic's Spez South Africa sells in a year... For us middle Class folk, who can only ogle and puzzle at that price point, I think the number would be quite surprising...  

I would love to know this too. Especially, say, compared to how many F 750 GS motorbikes BMW sell a year at the same price... 

I can also buy a new city car.

I don't think it's relevant though. Much like footballers getting paid 250 000 euro a week, the economy in cycling has created it's own value.

Comparing that to other industries is like saying one could hire 250 nurses a month for what Ronaldo earns in a week. 

It's true, but unfortunately it is also just a stat that doesn't relate.

I wouldn't choose the moto over the pedal bike though if I had the money to buy one. 

Different animals.Just have both.

The SLX version is “only” R78k. So not really R190k. What would the frameset options be? See the previous now “old” frameset sells for R40k.

That’s the problem, they only offer the Sworks as a frame only option at R65K for the 2021

All i can add to this tread is, to the guys who can afford the R200k bikes, well done, even if you come stone last in a race, that also ok, you do not need to justify anything to anyone! 

Agree

It could have been an e-bike :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

All i can add to this tread is, to the guys who can afford the R200k bikes, well done, even if you come stone last in a race, that also ok, you do not need to justify anything to anyone! 

Maybe they come last because they work their a**** off for a big salary and dont have time to train 25 hours a week.

Just because a bike is expensive a 'built for racing' should not exclude non-race winners from owning them.

Maybe they come last because they work their a**** off for a big salary and dont have time to train 25 hours a week.

Just because a bike is expensive a 'built for racing' should not exclude non-race winners from owning them.

No, but they should buy a bike that isn't built for racing hen.

It will be more comfortable, more stable and a better fit for rider and bike.

It's not a 'you're not good enough to buy this bike'.. It's genuinely better for the non racing snake to buy a different bike. By all means, those chaps can buy it, but they will be doing themselves a disservice by buying the wrong bike.

The Evo would be way better. Slightly less efficient but heaps more comfortable. The 'less efficient' is negated by comfort and the fact that said buyer isn't close to being efficient themselves.

Edited by Jewbacca

No, but they should buy a bike that isn't built for racing hen.

It will be more comfortable, more stable and a better fit for rider and bike.

It's not a 'you're not good enough to buy this bike'.. It's genuinely better for the non racing snake to buy a different bike. By all means, those chaps can buy it, but they will be doing themselves a disservice by buying the wrong bike.

The Evo would be way better. Slightly less efficient but heaps more comfortable. The 'less efficient' is negated by comfort and the fact that said buyer isn't close to being efficient themselves.

Amen! Nothing further to add your honour

Rich people on expensive bikes at the back of the pack has always been part of mountain biking.

I remember as a school laaitie I would scoff at the middle aged overweight guys on the Cannondales as I dropped them. And then one day I realised that while I can train after school, they are working in an office and probably have families as well. And that they are probably working hard, so they can buy what they want. That changed my attitude, and I told myself that I will probably be the slow guy one day on a nice bike.

Well I've reached the middle point, I'm not fast anymore, and I don't buy exorbitantly priced fancy bikes yet.

Seriously? The bikes I have are probably way more bike than I need or have the talent to use but I don't give a rats @ss what people think I'll buy what I want and ride what I want where and when I want... Didn't know that so many 'cyclists' could be Karens

I can appreciate these bikes the same as I can a Porche or Ferrari, can't afford them but doesn't mean I cast aspersions or make derogatory remarks about those that can

Yor, why is everyone so "judgerag" on what the wealthy mamils ride.

If an overweight unfit mamil comes dead last on the s-works version who cares, he enjoyed his money and race. It doesn't affect you or which position you came.His not taking anything away from you.

Also just to assume which bike would suit him better is nothing to do with you. Do you go around judging people who own Porsche GT3;s and say they better off in a Cayenne?

If it wasn't for them there would be no need to create these bikes.

I'm just glad that these technologies and advancements eventually trickle down

The top of the range bike is super expensive and probably always remain a pipe dream for most of us.

On the other side  we can have a long debate about whether prices justify product or not. 

Comparing a R500k car to R100k car is very different. The difference is what you get is huge. Likewise with Motorbikes,

With Mountain bikes I start questioning whether you actually get a noticeable difference once you breach the R50k to R60k mark ( or has that gone up now)

Anyway I'm just secretly waiting for an Alu version that I can buy second hand in 3 to 5 years time.