Saddlebag Alternatives

slickjay007

I know the day I leave my tube/ bomb etc is the day I will need it so I personally rather have it attached to my bike. Not a fan of the traditional saddle bag rattle trap. Bombs and adapter on bottle cage mount, tool is a swat tool that attaches to bottom of cage and for tubes and levers etc I have a seat mountain bandit, although I have a plug tool instead of a bomb there. All nice and neat and compact. Other brands make similar things for example Lynne and Scott but the Spez stuff works for me even though I don’t ride a Spez. You also only have to fall once on that bomb in your pocket to not want hard objects attached to your body

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

gentlemen, especially the single guys.....make sure you have a chain breaker on your person.

If you can conduct a basic service on the side of the trail/road you ill never need a dating site again....

Whatever you do never offer to give the damsel in distress the tube from your own wheel because it is a presta valve and your spare is a schrader. Logic suggests that because your own rim is drilled for both it will all work out just fine.... It didn't. My spare had a hole and the damsel rode off into the sunset.

Edited by Mr Dampf

Whatever you do never offer to give the damsel in distress the tube from your own wheel because it is a presta valve and your spare is a schrader. Logic suggests that because your own rim is drilled for both it will all work out just fine.... It didn't. My spare had a hole and the damsel rode off into the sunset.

for your protection, spare rubber should never have holes in them...

That's enough sage advice for one day

Morning Everybody,

I was wondering what people on the Hub use as an alternative to a saddlebag?

I'm in the market for something that could possibly fit into the back pocket of my jersey or even the pocket of my baggies.

This has most likely been discussed extensively in the past but i'm too lazy to search for the thread.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Some more options and opinions here: https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/186305-tools-on-the-bike-options/

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/186196-new-road-bike-kit-tyres-saddle-bag/

Road vs Mountain may also influence your choices.

Also depends on what you want to carry. Tube & Bomb or Kitchen Sink ?

Edited by splat

Morning Everybody,

I was wondering what people on the Hub use as an alternative to a saddlebag?

I'm in the market for something that could possibly fit into the back pocket of my jersey or even the pocket of my baggies.

This has most likely been discussed extensively in the past but i'm too lazy to search for the thread.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

As asked above: "For which bike"?

Do you MTB with buddies ?  Do you go for long solo rides ?  Do you need every spare part and every tool with you .....

When you go out on the time trial bike .... do you have a support vehicle ?  Do you do 100+km solo training rides ?  do you want to get home without having to phone for help ?

Now the real fun question .... does your multi tool work for both bikes ?  My LYNE multitool looks o so nice .... but was too short to use when needed trail side ....

At one point I had a one massive tool bag ... carried two spare tubes, and tools for two different bikes ..... doing Hermanus trails with a 5 year old one needs to be as self sufficient as possible.  Now he has a small FARR tool bag with a spare, tire levers, and one multi-tool on his bike.  I have the SpeelSleeve bag with a tube, tire levers, spare valve-inserts, gas-bombs, and a bigger multi-tool.  Also a Samorai in the bars.  Also a firm believer in a mini-pump.

So back to your question .... once you have figured out a combination of items for both bikes you may well end with two spare tubes, and a "packet" of the essentials.  With any luck you can have a single "packet" that works for both bikes.  Now you need to decide between:

- SWAT 

- tool bottle

- tool bag

- strapped to your bike ...

- in your back pocket.

You also only have to fall once on that bomb in your pocket to not want hard objects attached to your body

Years ago I had a mate come down in a race with one of those Nokia curved matrix phones in his back pocket. I reckon his kidneys are still bruised from that. I remember he had physio for back spams caused by it denting him.

My toys are in a sunglass case (soft case) in my pocket. After years of carrying the kitchen sink you learn what not to carry!

Co2 taped to the mtb seat post.

A phone call to wife gets me out of most messes. That said I carry very little and have only called for help 4 times in 20 plus years. One being hit by a car!

Edited by BMXER

Ride a gravel bike and all of a sudden a bike bag becomes cool - you can now ride with your raybans, carry lunch plus tools and jacket, wear normal clothes and pretend to be Lachlan Morton

Mostly mine is pretty empty but I look like I'm going long

Where did you get that one?