Motorists vs Cyclists.... again

Terminator

On 8/10/2024 at 12:19 AM, V18 said:

Sjoe! Paar kwaai manne hier! 

It’s like a Spy vs Spy cartoon 

Except it’s people vs people, or as all we people’s are at some stage poephols

poephol vs poephol

While we don’t have the taxi problem here, my biggest pain in the butt while out cycling is pedestrians (poepholmajor) be it on off road trails or the roads when going through towns or villages, these poepholmajors just cross the road or walk into the road without looking as they know the law protects them and expects other road users (poepholminor) to anticipate the poeholmajors erratic behavior.

Note to admin / mods: please don’t be a  p o e p h o l and delete the p o e p h o l text or this post.

Poephol signing off 

😍

IMG_0044.jpeg

Edited by SwissVan

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My SO have a recurring discussion about confrontation after I saw someone overtaking on a blind rise on the n2 some while back. If you said idiot at the one stop should you say something to.him?

She says no.

As a thought experiment, ihe drives out the one stop and pulled the same move on another blind rise as a family is cresting the  hill from the other side. 

Freeze the movie. If you asked that family if the mamil should have said something to the offender at the petrol pump on the .1 percent chance he would think twice before pulling out to overtake they for sure would say "yes please talk to him. Even if he calls you a pxxs and threatens to beat you up".

15 hours ago, Mamil said:

My SO have a recurring discussion about confrontation after I saw someone overtaking on a blind rise on the n2 some while back. If you said idiot at the one stop should you say something to.him?

She says no.

As a thought experiment, ihe drives out the one stop and pulled the same move on another blind rise as a family is cresting the  hill from the other side. 

Freeze the movie. If you asked that family if the mamil should have said something to the offender at the petrol pump on the .1 percent chance he would think twice before pulling out to overtake they for sure would say "yes please talk to him. Even if he calls you a pxxs and threatens to beat you up".

For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing (John Stuart Mill, 1867)

10 hours ago, Shebeen said:

Anyone know these awesome people? 

https://www.facebook.com/story.php?id=100072647103926&story_fbid=523398906758342

Guessing training for double century. 

Any bike hub members in that crew?

If so I dare you to step forward and respond to this post.

As for the "we cannot be held responsible for safety" line in the post ... Sounds like open season on anyone in lycra to the morons in the comments. 

I had a very close shave last Thursday morning, with TWO taxi's, one unseen...:

One taxi pulled a dangerous/stupid stunt at the Waterfront elevated freeway...

Since Wifey not with me THAT day, and me in her car instead of my trusty van, I decided to rather 'DIE, STANDING' rather than 'LIVE ON MY KNEES' (I.O.W. bow down to dangerous taxi driving). Stupid, I know...

I - in a moment of rage - used my car to teach him a proper lesson, not giving him an inch; like I said, the red mist was strong that morning...

We had a REAL ding-dong battle for a few hundred meters, and I 'held my own' (crazy/stupid, I know...), and THEN a SECOND taxi came to his support - seemingly out of nowhere, and the 2 of them drove me off the road, at HIGH speed.

I heard a loud noise, stopped the car on elevated freeway, hazards on, taxi's now gone, and fearing the worst (damage to Wife's car...)

But instead, it was a  light-weight, metal space heater that I carried into to work that morning on the back seat of her car; it had slammed into the back of the passenger seat with the extreme braking; the noise near-exactly like an impact / being 'clipped' by a taxi! My relief was huge that the car was undamaged.

Lesson learned; no more 'duelling' with a taxi. I have done it (before) and 'won' it before (defending my space, as it were), but the risks are high....

(Backstory - on Wednesday evening, DRIVING DOWN Suikerbossie in heavy traffic, a taxi used the UPCOMING 'fast' lane, for I reckon 200 meters DOWNHILL, not overtaking one or 2 cars, but say 20+ vehicles, all backed up, so the red mist was high already within me the day before...

Lesson learned - I will be letting them go on their merry way. Forever. If Possible.

Edited by Zebra
spelling

52 minutes ago, Zebra said:

I had a very close shave last Thursday morning, with TWO taxi's, one unseen...:

One taxi pulled a dangerous/stupid stunt at the Waterfront elevated freeway...

Since Wifey not with me THAT day, and me in her car instead of my trusty van, I decided to rather 'DIE, STANDING' rather than 'LIVE ON MY KNEES' (IOW bow down to dangerous taxi driving). Stupid, I know...

I - in a moment of rage - used my car to teach him a proper lesson, not giving him an inch; like I said, the red mist was strong that morning...

We had a REAL ding-dong battle for a few hundred meters, and I 'held my own' (crazy/stupid, I know...), and THEN a SECOND taxi came to his support - seemingly out of nowhere, and the 2 of them drove me off the road, at HIGH speed.

I heard a loud noise, stopped the car on elevated freeway, hazards on, taxi's now gone, and fearing the worst (damage to Wife's car...)

But instead, it was a  light-weight, metal space heater that I carried into to work that morning on the back seat of her car; it had slammed into the back of the passenger seat with the extreme braking; the noise near-exactly like an impact / being 'clipped' by a taxi! My relief was huge that the car was undamaged.

Lesson learned; no more 'duelling' with a taxi. I have done it (before) and 'won' it before (defending my space, as it were), but the risks are high....

(Backstory - on Wednesday evening, DRIVING DOWN Suikerbossie in heavy traffic, a taxi used the UPCOMING 'fast' lane, for I reckon 200 meters, not overtaking one of 2 cars, buyt say 20+ vehicles, all backed up, so the red mist was high already within me the day before...

Lesson learned - I will be letting them go on their merry way. Forever. If Possible.

my 2 cents - since moving to CPT 3 years ago, it still astounds me how vindictively and just generally @$$holey the lot of you people drive.  Joburg drivers drive woes, no doubt, and the disregard for traffic laws (red lights, stop streets, one-ways etc) wears you down in Joburg.  But this CPT lot, yoh, yoh, yoh.  They are angry and mean-spirited to a person, and no, this is not the exception.  Thank heavens i do not have a daily commute that puts me in a car twice a day - I would likely be in jail by now.

On 8/11/2024 at 7:04 AM, Robbie Stewart said:

Valid point. I heard of a chap in a Landy Disco having a hole shot in the bonnet of his Landy by a taxi driver on the road past Dunoon in Cape Town. On that same road one morning I was in the left lane, waiting for the traffic to move when a car passed me in the yellow lane. The car made contact with my left rear side and the driver got out and started shouting at me. Next thing two taxis pulled up and the drivers got out and also started screaming obscenities at me despite the car driver who banged into my Isuzu. I just stared at them and said nothing. Picking a fight right there is a foolish errand. The "damage" to my bakkie was rubbed off with my thumb once I reached my destination because the side mirror left some black marks on the paintwork by the rear wheel. No dent, no scratch. 

I know a few okes that would shoot holes in any Landy's bonnet for no particular reason ................... to save the planet perhaps 🤷‍♂️

34 minutes ago, PygaSchmyga said:

my 2 cents - since moving to CPT 3 years ago, it still astounds me how vindictively and just generally @$$holey the lot of you people drive.  Joburg drivers drive woes, no doubt, and the disregard for traffic laws (red lights, stop streets, one-ways etc) wears you down in Joburg.  But this CPT lot, yoh, yoh, yoh.  They are angry and mean-spirited to a person, and no, this is not the exception.  Thank heavens i do not have a daily commute that puts me in a car twice a day - I would likely be in jail by now.

I also moved to Cape Town, from Durban, in 2021. And my experience has been the complete opposite. I live in the Deep South and commute into town for work a few times a week. I find CT drivers courteous, patient and generally well behaved. My biggest issue is people that drive too slow, especially on Ou Kaap Se Weg. But, overall CT drivers seem more civilized than the rest of the country. 

4 minutes ago, El Duderino said:

I also moved to Cape Town, from Durban, in 2021. And my experience has been the complete opposite. I live in the Deep South and commute into town for work a few times a week. I find CT drivers courteous, patient and generally well behaved. My biggest issue is people that drive too slow, especially on Ou Kaap Se Weg. But, overall CT drivers seem more civilized than the rest of the country. 

im also in the deep south - are you one of the okes that overtakes on OKSW?  Those are special!

1 minute ago, PygaSchmyga said:

im also in the deep south - are you one of the okes that overtakes on OKSW?  Those are special!

I must admit to being tempted sometimes...but no. 

1 hour ago, El Duderino said:

Thats because Cape Town drivers are second worst, only just beaten to the top spot by KZN drivers

20 hours ago, Mamil said:

She says no.

I've done this before. The incident happened just before Worcester coming towards CT. The guy overtook 5 vehicles on a blind rise. I was the 2nd car in the queue and as he got next to me he realized he wasn't going to make it and came into my lane, forcing me to take evasive action and swerve left. I had my two girls in the back seat and the red mist descend.

The traffic was so congested that he was never more than a few vehicles ahead of me until I saw him pull into the big One Stop on the other side of Worcester. I followed him into the One Stop and found him in the queue at Vida. A big oke about a head taller than me but I was beyond caring.

What I said to him cannot be repeated here but he and everyone else in that One Stop understood exactly how I felt about his mothers Porche. My outburst caught him so by surprise that he never even retaliated but simply apologized for his poor driving. His excuse.... "My wife needed the bathroom really badly"

Frikkin idiot, I'm sommer worked up all over again just telling the story and lus to moer him... pity he was so big 😊

Hopefully he thinks twice before doing that again.

25 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

Thats because Cape Town drivers are second worst, only just beaten to the top spot by KZN drivers

I guess coming from KZN I have experienced the worst and thus find CT drivers to be not so bad. 🤷 

1 hour ago, El Duderino said:

1 hour ago, PygaSchmyga said:

hahahahahaha 

I'm also in the deep south and I hate driving. 

I agree with Pyga, the people in Cape Town are terrible. Not just at driving, but in general. 

Obviously this is a massive generalization, but compared to Durban and Joburg, the people here are unfriendly and unwelcoming in most facets of life 

I love living in Muizenberg, I love living in Cape Town, but for what it offers me despite a large part of the local population. 

The generational Capetonians are a bit like religious cults with demographic derivatives. If you're not part of that particular cult, eish........ All bets are off!