Training after Coronavirus

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, DieselnDust said:

Women have a better sense of self preservation than men. We could talk about it but that would be mansplaining

You know you are correct .... but how do we agree, without handing in our mancard ....

I tested positive August 2021. 2 weeks completely off bike ( was riding about 15 hrs a week) and then 3 weeks of about 8 hrs a week at slower pace.

Not as a strategy but because that was all I could manage.

I never got very sick, symptoms were mild, but where I did get respect for this virus was in how long my energy remained lower than normal. Afternoon naps, that sort of thing.

I personally would not jump in quickly or exercise while I had even mild symptoms, just to be on safe side.

I tested positive on 13 Dec'21 and suffered with bad fever for 3-4 days but luckily recovered well . The best advise i received was to start training atleast 2 weeks after my last symptom-free day (if you feel good and receive the thumbs-up from dr) and even then do 3/4weeks in Z1/2 . I am only considering starting next week as i do not do this for money/living and after the age of 40 i would like to see my kids grow old . Attakwas and a few races down the drain for now but gives me the time to have a few more beers/wiskeys and just enjoy my holiday ....my2c

I'd suggest that people who 'do this for a living' are even more weary than those who don't.

Margins at the top are so small that one small anomaly or physical strain can put the athlete back far more and for far longer than just resting for a few extra days

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

I'd suggest that people who 'do this for a living' are even more weary than those who don't.

Margins at the top are so small that one small anomaly or physical strain can put the athlete back far more and for far longer than just resting for a few extra days

Marginal pains eh?

6 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

Weary and wary. 

1 hour ago, 'Dale said:

Subjectively useful 

My Garmin picked all the vital signs up in both the times I have had covid and any other ailments. HR increased by around 15 percent, breathing increased by about 12 percent. Body battery and sleep scores were all affected. My second bout was last week so still slightly higher than normal and body battery still not quite getting to 100 but it’s all upwards this week.  

incredible what tech we wear at our wrists. I work in the healthcare sector and these wearables are on par with what hospitals were doing 10 to 15 years ago in terms of monitoring and data gathering. The future is AI in wearables collecting data and diagnosing ailments and predicting events. I hear the new fenix may even have a stamina counter and other tech. 

of course the danger is we become enslaved to the devices and live according to them.

12 hours ago, IceCreamMan said:

My Garmin picked all the vital signs up in both the times I have had covid and any other ailments. HR increased by around 15 percent, breathing increased by about 12 percent. Body battery and sleep scores were all affected. My second bout was last week so still slightly higher than normal and body battery still not quite getting to 100 but it’s all upwards this week.  

incredible what tech we wear at our wrists. I work in the healthcare sector and these wearables are on par with what hospitals were doing 10 to 15 years ago in terms of monitoring and data gathering. The future is AI in wearables collecting data and diagnosing ailments and predicting events. I hear the new fenix may even have a stamina counter and other tech. 

of course the danger is we become enslaved to the devices and live according to them.

and I see some of the pros are training with glucose biosensors giving them real-time glucose levels on the bike or run. 

Edited by _David_

1 hour ago, _David_ said:

and I see some of the pros are training with glucose biosensors giving them real-time glucose levels on the bike or run. 

Banned in-competition 

1 hour ago, _David_ said:

Not only pros. Last Ironman event I entered the goodie bag had some paraphernalia for just this. You wear a patch then send it off for analysis or have your own device. Some athletes were wearing the patch so presumably they would have sent them off or have the devices. Should have kept the marketing blurb as I threw it all away. 

Supersapiens: https://www.supersapiens.com/en-EN/

PAIRING: GARMIN

April 27, 2021

HOW DOES THE NEW INTEGRATION WORK?

Your Supersapiens app will stream real-time glucose data to your Garmin device, ensuring real-time visibility into your fueling strategy. Your phone acts as a bridge between the biosensor and your Garmin device, so please note that you cannot stream data directly from your sensor to your watch.