Jump to content

AMP - south africa's greatest ever female cyclist


Shebeen
 Share

Recommended Posts

https://www.procyclingstats.com/rider/ashleigh-moolman

image.png.454e67e8d76f28812e810df613e0c8e7.png

 

try convince me otherwise.

She has just finished 2nd on GC at the Giro Rosa - (essentially the women's TdF)

She was also 4th in the points, 2nd in the mountains cat and won the Queen stage, and won the teams comp (supporting her team leader AvdB)

in 2018 she was 2nd on GC too.

 

Yet there is silence, both in our local press and even on here. We don't even have a thread dedicated to her like many of the top male riders do.

She's 35 now, not sure how much longer will be at the top of the women's peleton which is growing stature and prestige, after that our next best rider is a long way back.

Edited by Shebeen
Let's compare apples with apples
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

52 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

 

She has just finished 2nd on GC at the Giro Rosa - (essentially the women's TdF)

 

Dunno what that thing is. They just finished the Giro d'Italia Donne, or as this year's edition is known, the SD Worx show.

Edited by TNT1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

https://www.procyclingstats.com/rider/ashleigh-moolman

image.png.454e67e8d76f28812e810df613e0c8e7.png

 

try convince me otherwise.

She has just finished 2nd on GC at the Giro Rosa - (essentially the women's TdF)

She was also 4th in the points, 2nd in the mountains cat and won the Queen stage, and won the teams comp (supporting her team leader AvdB)

in 2018 she was 2nd on GC too.

 

Yet there is silence, both in our local press and even on here. We don't even have a thread dedicated to her like many of the top male riders do.

She's 35 now, not sure how much longer will be at the top of the women's peleton which is growing stature and prestige, after that our next best rider is a long way back.

While many think it's not an achievement, she is also the world champ at that zwift challenge thing that happened last year. 

I think she doesn't get the recognition she deserves. She has also often ridden as support to ladies like Vos and AvdB so hasn't been allowed to shine as much as she can. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

hahaha yeah. I'm all for sport equality and I really enjoy the raw emotion of woman's cycling, but Greg Minnaar has to go down as our greatest ever?

Multiple world champ, world cup champ, most wins ever by a rider...... Still contracted by a top team turning 40....

I'd say she is definitely one of the top SA cyclists ever, but Greg is one of the best ever, from all countries.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mr. Minn is by far the mosr succesful SA rider. Ever.

On tar - I see your Ashleigh and raise you a Robbie Hunter:

 

Edited by Eldron
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We can really be proud of Ashleigh but I am sorry you can't even mention her name in the same category as Greg Minnaar. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, dsw said:

Greg Minnaar... SA greatest cyclist?

Is downhill mountain biking even cycling?

Don't those okes use beer as a recovery drink?

Yeah, isn't gravity the man of the match in every single downhill race?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, dsw said:

Greg Minnaar... SA greatest cyclist?

Is downhill mountain biking even cycling?

Don't those okes use beer as a recovery drink?

 

its cycling Jim, but not as we know it….

They should make the downhillers ride their bikes to the start

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Eldron said:

https://www.procyclingstats.com/rankings/me/all-time

Mr. Minn is by far the mosr succesful SA rider. Ever.

On tar - I see your Ashleigh and raise you a Robbie Hunter:

 

okee dokee, let's start here I'll get to mr minn next

 

Robbie Hunter's palmare's

You won't see it here but he did get a teammate to the top step at Paris too.

RH - https://www.procyclingstats.com/rider/robert-hunter

he had a good year in 2007 - (that tour stage!) and ended up #31 on the rankings. in general over his career he probably averaged 150th and was only in the top 100 twice in 16 seasons.

image.png.7fe6406ae4f6418f1ffe27991964d416.png

 

 

going to AMP's palmares - https://www.procyclingstats.com/rider/ashleigh-moolman

pretty consistently one of the top10 female riders

image.png.9f090967c2abf8d9970aead0bf606a6f.png

 

so it really comes down to the strength of the ladies' peleton vs the mens'? Obviously the depth of talent has been much deeper for the men, for a long time too. while it is closing, there is still a long way to go. For more data, i could go orange and compare Marianne Vos to,  i dunno Robert Gesink, Bauke Mollema, Tom Dumoulin or Joop Zoetemelk? Remembering she is easily the world's best female cyclist no matter how you measure?

There's no perfect way to put all achievements on a yardstick, but this does as good as any (EMerckx #1)

men's all time best has RH @ 574th spot

women's list AMP is #29 and could still go higher.

So that's the debate really, should a women in the top30 of all time be better celebrated than a guy around the top500? - ther's no way to tell, but I don't think it's clearcut (ps. impey actually nudges ahead of RH on this one, sitting at 457)

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

My Profile My Forum Content My Followed Content Forum Settings Ad Messages My Ads My Favourites My Saved Alerts My Pay Deals Settings Help Logout