Jump to content

What do the gravel nay-sayers say now?


Chris NewbyFraser
 Share

Recommended Posts

Back when Specialized started selling their Diverge gravel bike, I bought one and posted notes about the experiences I had, both positive and negative. A number of Hubbers trashed the idea of gravel bike specific riding, with various arguments about the bike just being a skinny mtb or fat road bike, and no doubt a number also felt that the discipline was doomed to failure.

Well now, with the UCI announcement of a formal global gravel series and world championships, I wonder what the nay-sayers think about the sport now?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Titleist said:

A gravel bike is all fun and games until you hit the corrugated roads on long races like the Trans Baviaans or 361. No thanks.

This. If you have ridden one over copious quantities of stutter bumps which are prevalent on our roads, then you shake your fillings out.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Chris NewbyFraser said:

Back when Specialized started selling their Diverge gravel bike, I bought one and posted notes about the experiences I had, both positive and negative. A number of Hubbers trashed the idea of gravel bike specific riding, with various arguments about the bike just being a skinny mtb or fat road bike, and no doubt a number also felt that the discipline was doomed to failure.

Well now, with the UCI announcement of a formal global gravel series and world championships, I wonder what the nay-sayers think about the sport now?

Is this you just gloating or trying to say "I told you so"?

Gravel/Cyclo-cross...monster-bike-by- @Eldron...same same to me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is just something about riding a gravel bike that puts the biggest grin on the faces of even the most seasoned cyclists that I have ridden with. I don't know what it is, but they are just SO MUCH FUN! I for one don't argue that it replaces a mountain bike for awful corrugated roads. But horses for courses. There are many, many rides where a gravel bike that is well configured (thinking tyre selection, correct bars etc etc) just can't be beaten for the fun factor. I'm very excited about the Gravel World Series!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Although I played around in the gravel bike world with a lovely Trek Checkpoint SL6, my personal take on it is that it is indeed the perfect type of bike if you ONLY have one bike.

I've subsequently sold it after getting a decent MTB and will in future purchase a decent road bike - a gravel bike is a great all rounder though and also perfectly suited for commuting etc. However, not as comfortable as the MTB nor as fast as the roadbike - a great bike yet a good example of a horses for courses approach. 

 

Also, are there really as many spots (other than the Karoo etc.) where you can truly exploit the true potential of the gravel bike on a frequent basis?

Edited by Charlie600
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like them but I'm not going to get one.

I think a lot of guys on gravel bikes are hardened mountain bikers who got a gravel bike rather than a roadie coz they don't want to feel like hypocrites for ripping into roadies all those years. Plus on a gravel bike you can still run your mtb shoes, baggies and peak helmet without looking like a complete toolbox.

Edited by Duane_Bosch
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gravil certainly has a place and because the makers are making them the UCI will find a place to showcase them and if you live in or near that place then go for it and get one but as mentioned 'not as comfortable as the MTB nor as fast as the roadbike ' so if your place is tar or real mountains maybe not .

but nobody says we all have to like the same stuff 

 

Edited by bikebloke
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, bikebloke said:

Gravil certainly has a place and because the makers are making them the UCI will find a place to showcase them and if you live in or near that place then go for it and get one but as mentioned 'not as comfortable as the MTB nor as fast as the roadbike ' so if you place is tar or real mountains maybe not .

but nobody says we all have to like the same stuff 

 

Sadly that last statement is where the problem is, there are many amongst us that believe that unless you like what they do you're a twat ...

I could give many examples

- if you race you're an idiot, doing overnight backpacking is the best

- Epic is only for rich overweight nontechnical riders

- If you ride a Specialized, more so if it's an S-works, you're automatically a twat

- If you come to the hub just for cycling and the classifieds you must be stupid, NCR chats #FTW

I could go on but I've got some bike stuff to do then take my grandsons for a waffle then go to the track  😎

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, karma said:

Is this you just gloating or trying to say "I told you so"?

Gravel/Cyclo-cross...monster-bike-by- @Eldron...same same to me. 

my thoughts as well, which is indeed the reason of the negativity.
 

ride whatever you like, but just ride!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My first ever off road experience around 27 years ago was on a steel road bike that I took down the local green belt. The bars broke (shocking bike build) and I swiftly bought one of the first giant MTB's available in SA. So gravel is actually a gateway device to MTB... 🙂 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

My Profile My Forum Content My Followed Content Forum Settings Ad Messages My Ads My Favourites My Saved Alerts My Pay Deals Settings Help Logout