Cape Town Cycle Tour 2022

Pure Savage

3 hours ago, NickGM said:

I love ebike technology and I don't mind being dropped by somebody on riding one in a race. But what I really don't like is the direction the industry (and thus the consumer) are taking it. It should be something that replaces a car; it uses far less road space, far less energy (associated pollution reductions), is much quieter, is less dangerous, and is an altogether better experience than being in a car. So why are all the ebikes I see in my neighborhood ridden by fat rich people who will go for a spin on their R250K eMTB before work and then drive their largely empty diesel SUV 5km into town? It's vulgar and lazy. I should probably move. Sorry this has nothing to do with the CTCT.

Post of the day. And it's only midday. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, NickGM said:

I love ebike technology and I don't mind being dropped by somebody on riding one in a race. But what I really don't like is the direction the industry (and thus the consumer) are taking it. It should be something that replaces a car; it uses far less road space, far less energy (associated pollution reductions), is much quieter, is less dangerous, and is an altogether better experience than being in a car. So why are all the ebikes I see in my neighborhood ridden by fat rich people who will go for a spin on their R250K eMTB before work and then drive their largely empty diesel SUV 5km into town? It's vulgar and lazy. I should probably move. Sorry this has nothing to do with the CTCT.

Absolutely- this is the real promise of ebikes. A way out of the ridiculous reliance on the internal combustion engine. 

2 hours ago, ChrisF said:

The very sad reality is that a small minority of ebike owners are "going bos" at these events, and may well spoil if for the other ebike owners that co-exist peacefully with other riders.

at the rate those tjops are gong Famke will be an international hero and have her lifetime ban revoked.

1 hour ago, Mamil said:

Absolutely- this is the real promise of ebikes. A way out of the ridiculous reliance on the internal combustion engine. 

Indeed the real promise of e-bikes is to mobilise the masses and why not. The taxi industry won't like it one bit and will retaliate in some nasty way but that shouldn't stop SA from doing the right thing, build cheap affordable and durable e-bikes. and batteries

11 hours ago, cadenceblur said:

And a safe road infrastructure to support as well!

This was my first thought too. If it is unsafe, either because of dangerous traffic (think green painted lane through Albert Road, Woodstock and Salt River) or criminals, (think Paarden Eiland to Civic Centre) then it will fail, no matter how good or cheap e-bikes become. Perhaps the CTCT should do a "protest tour" along the Blouberg cycle lanes in protest against how the City of Cape Town has allowed that to fail through neglect and tolerating criminals.

Elon should just flood the market with e-buffalo bikes and provide them gratis via a bike pick up scheme. Bike theft will drop or disappear because there will be too many to steal and everyday will be Argust Toil day

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

Elon should just flood the market with e-buffalo bikes and provide them gratis via a bike pick up scheme. Bike theft will drop or disappear because there will be too many to steal and everyday will be Argust Toil day

To sell that idea to Elon you need to rephrase and rename.

Call it the next greatest revolution, changing how we move not just people, but ideas. It is called the DUOPOD EXTREME E. 

Its a buffalo bike.

24 minutes ago, Pure Savage said:

Call it the next greatest revolution, changing how we move not just people, but ideas. It is called the DUOPOD EXTREME E. 

Its a buffalo bike.

or contact the apple people. they got cash to burn and won't have a problem finding early adopters to anything they slap their logo on.

https://youtu.be/KmuP8gsgWb8

4 hours ago, DJR said:

This was my first thought too. If it is unsafe, either because of dangerous traffic (think green painted lane through Albert Road, Woodstock and Salt River) or criminals, (think Paarden Eiland to Civic Centre) then it will fail, no matter how good or cheap e-bikes become. Perhaps the CTCT should do a "protest tour" along the Blouberg cycle lanes in protest against how the City of Cape Town has allowed that to fail through neglect and tolerating criminals.

100% - when I was commuting to the CBD - the section through Woodstock was a gauntlet, boggles the mind when we read all about making a CT a cycling friendly city etc. etc. - yet see the very lanes for cyclists taken up by cars and taxis - hell the taxis even drove on the pavement at times!

This has now escalated to concerns around potential bike theft as well!

4 hours ago, Pure Savage said:

Call it the next greatest revolution, changing how we move not just people, but ideas. It is called the 2#POD XTR3M3 E. 

Its a buffalo bike.

Fixed it for you :)

Maybe a bit of a change in direction but I'm eager to know why the 947 doesn't attract as much discussion and interest as the CTCT. I live in jhb and do both races annually but for some reason, there just seems much less interest and excitement about 947. Post about CTCT and you get 10 replies within 5mins while there is very little going on on the 947 thread.

Is it just the history and legacy of CTCT?

how many guys from Slaapstad travel up to Gangster's Paradise for the 947?

11 minutes ago, TheDogShow said:

on my ride this morning I was actually thinking about what the % of out of towners are for CTCT, 947 and Amashova

25 minutes ago, TheDogShow said:

Maybe a bit of a change in direction but I'm eager to know why the 947 doesn't attract as much discussion and interest as the CTCT. I live in jhb and do both races annually but for some reason, there just seems much less interest and excitement about 947. Post about CTCT and you get 10 replies within 5mins while there is very little going on on the 947 thread.

You want me to pay for a hotel and flight to joburg to ride my bike - hang in let me ask the family if they’d like to go to JHB or Cape Town next year ????

Any ride on carless roads is awesome and I’m sure it’s a fantastic race and ride - it’s just that it’s not very sexy 

Tour de France or tour of Oman ?

27 minutes ago, TheDogShow said:

Hubbers are odd creatures -  the amount of chatter on an event on here is very often not related to the size of the event. I can name a few big events that barely gets a mention on the hub and visa versa.

Best explanation I can give is that the people choosing to comment on events on here are not really representative of the average cyclist out there 

18 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

Hubbers are odd creatures -  the amount of chatter on an event on here is very often not related to the size of the event. I can name a few big events that barely gets a mention on the hub and visa versa.

Best explanation I can give is that the people choosing to comment on events on here are not really representative of the average cyclist out there 

To be fair, 'most' of the top commenting hubbers are not particularly good bike riders.  Some are, but most are not. The average cyclist out there is also not a particularly good cyclist and they talk even less about their hobby than said hubbers. I'd go as far as to say that the average cyclist in SA doesn't even know the 94.7 exists if they live outside of joburg.

It's difficult to gauge as the average cyclist doesn't engage much outside of just riding their bikes

Edited by Jewbacca
toddler pressed enter

41 minutes ago, TheDogShow said:

The CTCT showcases some of the nicest roads and views from what many people think is one of the prettiest cities around. So it has more beauty and has also been around longer, so more history. It's no disrespect meant to JHB. I've been to Vancouver, Barcelona, San Fran, etc, and if you asked me which one I'd like to ride around for 100km on car-free roads, I'd pick cape town.

Cape Town is also much more of a holiday destination so there's the incentive to do a bunch of other things while you're out there. ie: bring the whole family down for a holiday. I don't feel the same way about JHB, apart from its proximity to some nice game reserves. I'm sure I'd love the 947, but its too far to go just for a bike ride without other pull factors to sweeten the deal.