Small Bike shop owners… would you do it again??

Cycle Fan

30 minutes ago, 117 said:

Make sure your customer service is top notch, otherwise you'll have no first time customer, nor a repeat customer. Customer satisfaction is the key and it will outdo a slightly higher cost of the stock you sell them. 

Ive recently declined to do business with a small coastal LBS because their customer service was non existent. They just assumed I would eft a 6 digit amount based on one email with a few sentences. 

I don't believe there is anyone that doesn't know how important this is BUT it's way more difficult to achieve than what anyone thinks ... 

And whether we like to hear it or not we (cyclists) are a fickle bunch!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

I don't believe there is anyone that doesn't know how important this is BUT it's way more difficult to achieve than what anyone thinks ... 

And whether we like to hear it or not we (cyclists) are a fickle bunch!

You'd be surprised Gerald. 

Before you even walk into a shop you're being judged/graded when you pull up the hand brake in the parking lot

2 minutes ago, 117 said:

Before you even walk into a shop you're being judged/graded when you pull up the hand brake in the parking lot

This I have experienced many times, when I had a Suzuki Swift, no one would help me, when I got my double, albeit slightly older model, people would make a slight effort to help, when I pulled in with my double cab and a dirtbike on the back, almost everyone in the shop wanted to help....

Same people, same shop etc....

2 minutes ago, Chadvdw67 said:

This I have experienced many times, when I had a Suzuki Swift, no one would help me, when I got my double, albeit slightly older model, people would make a slight effort to help, when I pulled in with my double cab and a dirtbike on the back, almost everyone in the shop wanted to help....

Same people, same shop etc....

Is this not a case of them maybe also getting to know your face over time? Or did you swap cars 3 times in 2 weeks? 😝

I must say a massive kudos to the young lads at Gear Change in Tokai. I have popped in there with the silliest, most random small/no return requests lately and they have been so on it.

I don't drive a fancy car and I look like a barefoot hobo. I'm super impressed

3 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Is this not a case of them maybe also getting to know your face over time? Or did you swap cars 3 times in 2 weeks? 😝

I must say a massive kudos to the young lads at Gear Change in Tokai. I have popped in there with the silliest, most random small/no return requests lately and they have been so on it.

I don't drive a fancy car and I look like a barefoot hobo. I'm super impressed

Nope, the visits were months apart, so definitely not that they would have recognized me

On 5/16/2022 at 7:56 AM, Wayne pudding Mol said:

I don’t need to, I don’t use their products and I’m not opening a bike shop - I have my own business challenges 🤣

But I would imagine it’s near impossible which is why cash flow is important as well as networking with other independents 

it is very easy to highlight the negatives in starting a business which is why there are always more employers and employees.

Nothing wrong with being one or the other but the risk in a small business lies with the owner as does the reward. 

a dream (with research) is always worth the effort 

Clearly, which is why I mentioned it. 

Also - make use of social media. I was quite anti SOME but eventually got an Instagram account coupled to Facebook. It has been really good for me. Initially I won customers on word of mouth but when SOME took off it took off large.

Took about 5 months to get onto featured list on Google using a consistent SEO strategy. Get as many Google ratings as possible - they're SEO gold!!

I don't think I would ever try open a "hobby" related business, let alone a bicycle shop.

But if I did open a bicycle shop I would look at e-bikes. Importing components and batteries. Testing and refurbishing battery packs. Rebuilding motor units. Controller and software upgrades. Charging station sales and installation. E-bike conversions. Sales of alternate brand bikes and maybe even e-motor-bikes.

I don't own an e-bike and I know very little about that industry but I think the market for high value brand name bike components has peaked, while the e-bike market is growing rapidly.

1 hour ago, Eddy Gordo said:

The above is all true. I like to go shopping poorly dressed (edit: and I choose a modest car). Majority of the places not just cycling related judge you and you have to look for assistance.

Oddly enough, applies to “shopping” relationships as well.  Don’t know how I ended up with two exceptionally beautiful partners (if friends and acquaintances are believed) in the last 20 years, but they’re kewlll and down-to-earth as well.

Edited by justinafrika

5 hours ago, ouzo said:

R200k is really not a lot of stock at todays prices. 

Our little concern had at one point well in excess of that just in dead stock, thanks mostly due to previous staff and supplier reps. We managed to clear it and mitigate the damage to MU margins while simultaneously streamlining the stock lines and reducing capital risk.

It has literally taken my local LBS years, and I mean that, y e a r s to remember my name when I come to their shop. Not that I'm a big spender but I am loyal to them. Still, now the relationship is solid I can't easily see why I'd go elsewhere.

Tried on a whim about a year ago. Dropped my bike off at a different shop and was told (on a Friday) to come back Thursday . . .

I took the bike to my local without pre-booking , and an hour later the bike was ready. . . 

34 minutes ago, justinafrika said:

Oddly enough, applies to “shopping” relationships as well.  Don’t know how I ended up with two exceptionally beautiful partners (if friends and acquaintances are believed) in the last 20 years, but they’re kewlll and down-to-earth as well.

10000% agreed. I quickly discovered this in my younger days, and have done similar and have an exceptional wife!!

2 hours ago, 117 said:

Gerald 🤔

3 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

Gerald 🤔

Dang, shoot. Apologies Ben

Typo 🥴