[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2023

FootballingCyclist

2 minutes ago, FootballingCyclist said:

From what I understand, not sure where the article link is which I read it from. The PPA races are listed as "fun rides" and not "races" as in order to register them as "races" there needs to be prize money and a few other requirements need to be met in order for it to be labelled as such.. I think all you receive at PPA  fun rides are the sponsored bottles of wine from the hosting venue like Windmeul, Paardeberg etc etc..

Someone with more knowledge on the exact requirements could perhaps fill us in here.

Nah, you can call your events whatever you like. If you want to make racing licenses a requirement then there are certain requirements and prize money is one of them.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, bleedToWin said:

Nah, you can call your events whatever you like. If you want to make racing licenses a requirement then there are certain requirements and prize money is one of them.

Ahh ok so that makes sense then. Makes things a little clearer... 

Ms boss and myself are entered.

...her bike is due for its annual ride around that time anyway. Good seeding will again just be for bragging rights between the 6/7/8's it seems There is no way i'm getting her to try and go fast in a  boring PPA fun ride. She hates them...and I don't blame her. They are k@k boring. Thats why it's better to get them over with as fast as possible 😁

It's fine, think ill try it on a SS this time around 😅

To be fair, it's not as if the CTCT is an outlier in terms of pricing. The Amashova is R750 this year as well, so more expensive then the CTCT was for this year. Hate to think what it will be next year. And remember that they have some goodwill to fix, after changing the route after the entries closed last year to a Durban out and back instead of PMB to Durbs. So basically another Tour Durban.

Most other races that aren't road closure are touching the R500, although keeping it at R490 for the psychological affects of breaching the R500 barrier. With the exception of your church bazaar races. 

I realise it's not the same, but has anyone seen the pricing for a Comrades entry for this year? For new entrants I believe it was R1500? Freaking crazy to pay that much to suffer for 12 hours.

13 minutes ago, Jase619 said:

The Amashova is R750 this year as well, so more expensive then the CTCT was for this year. Hate to think what it will be next year. And remember that they have some goodwill to fix, after changing the route after the entries closed last year to a Durban out and back instead of PMB to Durbs. So basically another Tour Durban.

I entered in Feb, and it was R550 (although I see I made up the difference with merch and a donation to something...).

I honestly don't understand the fuss.

If it's going to put any sort of strain on you financially don't do it.

Races/fun rides are pretty much at the bottom of any hierarchy of needs. 

R100 is peanuts anyway. At the moment a tank of fuel is fluctuating R100 monthly either way. 

But, if the increase in price does in fact influence the ability to enter, then just don't. 

The waaaambulance isn't going to make anyone an extra R100 or a few thousand rand for fuel/plane tickets that have massively higher cost implications than before.

43 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

......At the moment a tank of fuel is fluctuating R100 monthly either way...........

A full fill-up of the Landy will pay for three of us to ride the CTCT and still leave us with change for a decent burger and a beer each. And that fuel would normally last a little less than a month - so - it can be saved by me commuting by bike for just one month. And since my two other Ds are not likely to ride, just not using the Landy for about a week and a half, will pay for my own entry

4 minutes ago, DJR said:

A full fill-up of the Landy will pay for three of us to ride the CTCT and still leave us with change for a decent burger and a beer each. And that fuel would normally last a little less than a month - so - it can be saved by me commuting by bike for just one month. And since my two other Ds are not likely to ride, just not using the Landy for about a week and a half, will pay for my own entry

You do realise you and Jewbacca are derailing a perfectly good moangat session with facts ....

They increased the entry by more than inflation .... bring the pitch forks ....

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

snip

will you be riding it on pistachio-mint sauce? perfect opportunity to continue the 20" trend.  

also, nice and mellow funride to get you back in the swing of things 

Edited by MORNE

1 hour ago, MORNE said:

will you be riding it on pistachio-mint sauce? perfect opportunity to continue the 20" trend.  

also, nice and mellow funride to get you back in the swing of things 

I will definitely be doing the above!

I ride to the start and ride home, so for me it is not a particularly big layout. 

Edited by Jewbacca

4 hours ago, FootballingCyclist said:

From what I understand, not sure where the article link is which I read it from. The PPA races are listed as "fun rides" and not "races" as in order to register them as "races" there needs to be prize money and a few other requirements such as riders paying for their CSA licenses or Day license etc. And these need to be met in order for it to be labelled as such.. I think all you receive at PPA  fun rides are the sponsored bottles of wine from the hosting venue like Windmeul, Paardeberg etc etc..

WP Winter League is advertised/listed as "races" because they have prize money and you need a CSA license or day license to participate in any category.

Someone with more knowledge on the exact requirements could perhaps fill us in here.

So PPA races work on the Dop system…?

R50 license fee and a bottle of wine

actual numbers?

i just got gmail to spit out the entry fee in my inbox for the argus, (none of these are the PPA reduced fee - afaik) I think in 2017 it wasn't increased due to the wind cancelled one, and 2020 it only went up by 10bucks

Turns out the year on year increase evens out to 7.3%

If this is a big thing for you to moan about then the rest of your life must be lekker simple.

image.png.a3194bd04a98ba1c56006b38a80a50e4.png

2023 750
2022 650
2021 595
2020 550
2019 540
2018 510
2017 470
2016 470
2015 430

7 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

actual numbers?

i just got gmail to spit out the entry fee in my inbox for the argus, (none of these are the PPA reduced fee - afaik) I think in 2017 it wasn't increased due to the wind cancelled one, and 2020 it only went up by 10bucks

Turns out the year on year increase evens out to 7.3%

If this is a big thing for you to moan about then the rest of your life must be lekker simple.

image.png.a3194bd04a98ba1c56006b38a80a50e4.png

2023 750
2022 650
2021 595
2020 550
2019 540
2018 510
2017 470
2016 470
2015 430

But .... but .... you have just proven mathematically that the 2023 increase is about R25 too much .... 

3 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

But .... but .... you have just proven mathematically that the 2023 increase is about R25 too much .... 

but also that by 24/25 there will be an anomaly that will send the worm downwards again, so relatively speaking...we will be paying less soon. 😁

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

i just saved you R15 by making the equation a higher order polynomial

image.png.2a85bf4550e1fd63428c89cffbbf1103.png