Where has your bike taken you today?

An3

Yup rookie error - taking care of our kids cost more than bikes

Hopefully he remembers your sacrifice and gets you a nice bike attached to a decent sports car one day

Wayne this is one of the best I've read in a long time. We've got 1 in her 4th year and 1 starting. Please send this very good advice to my 2 please. And the 3rd one is doing horse riding (13 years old) and it's almost costing more than the studies.

• Replies 30.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• DJR

• Frosty

• ChrisF

Top Posters In This Topic

Stole an afternoon ride and absolutely loved it. Took the 3T up a climb I was very weary of making with the 1X12 and set a PR .

The 1X12 axs is brilliant . I haven’t really noticed the gaps in the gears apart from the odd occasion and I mean odd. Maybe thrice I have not been able to find the perfect gear and only for less than 30 seconds .

If you racing I get it ,if you not,it’s quite surprising how well it works .The biggest downside for me is still the granny gear when you are absolutely knackered .

But i do like it ,a lot ???? and the simplicity is brilliant ????

post-51529-0-10803100-1614107628_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Pikey

Stole an afternoon ride and absolutely loved it. Took the 3T up a climb I was very weary of making with the 1X12 and set a PR .

The 1X12 axs is brilliant . I haven’t really noticed the gaps in the gears apart from the odd occasion and I mean odd. Maybe thrice I have not been able to find the perfect gear and only for less than 30 seconds .

If you racing I get it ,if you not,it’s quite surprising how well it works .The biggest downside for me is still the granny gear when you are absolutely knackered .

But i do like it ,a lot [emoji16] and the simplicity is brilliant [emoji108]

what is the setup on the drive chain?

Front?

Rear? 10 or 11 cog for the smallest?

I’ve seen a double chain ring setup that seems appealing: 48/34 with a 10-28 at the back. 0.01 difference in rollout when compared to 53/11, but then a better granny gear in 34/28 compared to 39/32 - better spread of gears in the mid range. For gravel, a 34/32 could be used for some really steep stuff off-road.

what is the setup on the drive chain?

Front?

Rear? 10 or 11 cog for the smallest?

I’ve seen a double chain ring setup that seems appealing: 48/34 with a 10-28 at the back. 0.01 difference in rollout when compared to 53/11, but then a better granny gear in 34/28 compared to 39/32 - better spread of gears in the mid range. For gravel, a 34/32 could be used for some really steep stuff off-road.

Hi ya mate , front is a 46 and rear is 10/33...Granny equates to roughly a 36 front and 26,5 rear .

I would definitely change the rear to a 10/36 which is the biggest . Dropping the front surprisingly doesn’t make that much of a difference unless I went to a 42 , which might be a tad small. The 10 really does seem to make fair difference in gear ratios. I start spinning 95/100 rpm at about 55kph as far as I can remember,didn’t pay that much attention to it.

I think 34/32 would do me on the road ???? that’s actually the gear ratios on the strada due as standard .

Although for round here might actually be perfect .

For Alberton and surrounds the current gears would be really good .

The upside for me over the simplicity of 1x is I have to work harder .

Agree with you on the appeal of the gear range though . It’s quite deceiving to look at first glance .

Edited by Pikey

Hi ya mate , front is a 46 and rear is 10/33...Granny equates to roughly a 36 front and 26,5 rear .

I would definitely change the rear to a 10/36 which is the biggest . Dropping the front surprisingly doesn’t make that much of a difference unless I went to a 42 , which might be a tad small. The 10 really does seem to make fair difference in gear ratios. I start spinning 95/100 rpm at about 55kph as far as I can remember,didn’t pay that much attention to it.

I think 34/32 would do me on the road that’s actually the gear ratios on the strada due as standard .

Although for round here might actually be perfect .

For Alberton and surrounds the current gears would be really good .

The upside for me over the simplicity of 1x is I have to work harder .

Agree with you on the appeal of the gear range though . It’s quite deceiving to look at first glance .

Lekker - enjoy. Always nice seeing someone on a new bike; better when it's yours.

One day, when I've paid back my investment on the solar-powered system, I'll look at a build with the the 10-tooth cassette option (a Ritchey gravel/cross frame with disks that can be used as a multi-purpose bike). While Alberton is flat, I'm not getting any younger and the compact gearing will make it easier on the bigger climbs (SBR, Glenvista and when on holiday in the WC).

Lekker - enjoy. Always nice seeing someone on a new bike; better when it's yours.

One day, when I've paid back my investment on the solar-powered system, I'll look at a build with the the 10-tooth cassette option (a Ritchey gravel/cross frame with disks that can be used as a multi-purpose bike). While Alberton is flat, I'm not getting any younger and the compact gearing will make it easier on the bigger climbs (SBR, Glenvista and when on holiday in the WC).

Sbr could be a challenge on 1x12 . Glenvista climbing loop that NSBB does could be a good test especially comaro wall once you turn left.

Compact all the way mate @ 50 life needs to be easier . I do like the 1 x for some reason though . Good to chat stay safe ????

Did basically the same ride 2 days ago, almost the same time of day.

Weather today, headwinds, cool and overcast.

2 days ago, flat seas, no wind and hot.

Hoping for rain as it's getting very dry by us.4ae08dfe70a06c8f29fbdd2db9dd553f.jpgca0f553fc60d8b7e10715306955972ce.jpg

Edited by BSG