Where has your bike taken you today?

An3

I lived in Seals for 10 years and both our parents still do - it’s a do able ride but thoroughly unpleasant unlike clambering over rocks and carrying your bike is what you consider fun - then there is the issue of the land between rebels and oyster bay being owned by Eskom (the nuclear power site) at Thyspunt

You can do it and I have but I’d do it in flats with trail running shoes - I didn’t

If you fancy a long gravel ride take the Oyster bay turn off and ride to eersterevier - do not attempt this in a west

What I would do if the SW was pumping and no swell is to get dropped off at the farmstall by the eersterivier turnoff and ride back to cape st Francis - 3 off us once did this averaging 28 on mountain bikes - absolute blast and almost entirely downwind

Cool, I have walked that way down wild side before but never reached rebels and have seen that the lower coastal path does traverse some rock and beach areas, as you approach Rebels but there's a road from there up to the the upper access track which I'm guessing the homeowners use to get down there so I'll deviate up there then cut across to Oyster's.

Here's the plan anyway, its out and back and the track transit up to the plateau is at WP 6..

post-35907-0-39213300-1613633824_thumb.png

• Replies 30.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• DJR

• Frosty

• NotSoBigBen

Top Posters In This Topic

Surgery went well, julle, and Tuesday's procedure was a well-timed intervention before irreversible damage of the hand.  There was greater damage than visible on the X-rays with a torn tendon, eina muscle tissue and cartilage damage around the thumb area.

After about 165 kms on Saturday, I was back on the bike-lane heading back to Durbanville and was reminded again what an obstacle course it is. I backed off from the trio I rolled with and kept a 10 bike length distance rather. Lesson learnt.

Now for some Yoda patience and lots of anti-inflammatory food, thoughts and situations.

Memories of summer, below.

post-12015-0-13933100-1613639690_thumb.jpg

Surgery went well, julle, and Tuesday's procedure was a well-timed intervention before irreversible damage of the hand.  There was greater damage than visible on the X-rays with a torn tendon, eina muscle tissue and cartilage damage around the thumb area.

After about 165 kms on Saturday, I was back on the bike-lane heading back to Durbanville and was reminded again what an obstacle course it is. I backed off from the trio I rolled with and kept a 10 bike length distance rather. Lesson learnt.

Now for some Yoda patience and lots of anti-inflammatory food, thoughts and situations.

attachicon.gifIMG_3474.JPG

heal up soon mate.

Seems like you in a healthy mindset.  Being positive can only help the healing proses.

Excellent news.

Good luck with the recovery!  

Cool, I have walked that way down wild side before but never reached rebels and have seen that the lower coastal path does traverse some rock and beach areas, as you approach Rebels but there's a road from there up to the the upper access track which I'm guessing the homeowners use to get down there so I'll deviate up there then cut across to Oyster's.

Here's the plan anyway, its out and back and the track transit up to the plateau is at WP 6..

so WP 6 is Mostertshoek where there are a few houses followed by a sharp climb up where you will then use the residents road to Rebelsrus - I haven't done it in years but it usually has some very sandy sections

You are going to run out of road but Eskom were maintaining their section (Thyspunt) up until 2 years ago and chasing anyone who tranversed out.

Once you have accomplished the first half my money is on you using the road out of Oyster bay and along the dirt road back to St Francis

When are you doing it?

I once counted 11 puff adders just on the first 8km stretch of the wildside.  One was on the waters edge eating a dead fish - that was my last ride there.  Walks with a stick I still do.  Some sections where you have to bundu bash a bit just freaked me out too much but I am a real baby when it comes to snakes and puff adders actually give me nightmares

Surgery went well, julle, and Tuesday's procedure was a well-timed intervention before irreversible damage of the hand. There was greater damage than visible on the X-rays with a torn tendon, eina muscle tissue and cartilage damage around the thumb area.

Glad it went well.Hope the healing goes well[emoji106]

so WP 6 is Mostertshoek where there are a few houses followed by a sharp climb up where you will then use the residents road to Rebelsrus - I haven't done it in years but it usually has some very sandy sections

You are going to run out of road but Eskom were maintaining their section (Thyspunt) up until 2 years ago and chasing anyone who tranversed out.

Once you have accomplished the first half my money is on you using the road out of Oyster bay and along the dirt road back to St Francis

When are you doing it?

I once counted 11 puff adders just on the first 8km stretch of the wildside.  One was on the waters edge eating a dead fish - that was my last ride there.  Walks with a stick I still do.  Some sections where you have to bundu bash a bit just freaked me out too much but I am a real baby when it comes to snakes and puff adders actually give me nightmares

Sounds like a bit of an adventure then! Will be there in about a month...I suspect that the top dirt track is going to be the only way....will keep you posted! (and will carry a poffie stok!)

I lived in Seals for 10 years and both our parents still do - it’s a do able ride but thoroughly unpleasant unlike clambering over rocks and carrying your bike is what you consider fun - then there is the issue of the land between rebels and oyster bay being owned by Eskom (the nuclear power site) at Thyspunt

You can do it and I have but I’d do it in flats with trail running shoes - I didn’t

If you fancy a long gravel ride take the Oyster bay turn off and ride to eersterevier - do not attempt this in a west

What I would do if the SW was pumping and no swell is to get dropped off at the farmstall by the eersterivier turnoff and ride back to cape st Francis - 3 off us once did this averaging 28 on mountain bikes - absolute blast and almost entirely downwind

Eerste Rivier to Seals?

post-35907-0-65096900-1613650828_thumb.png

Surgery went well, julle, and Tuesday's procedure was a well-timed intervention before irreversible damage of the hand. There was greater damage than visible on the X-rays with a torn tendon, eina muscle tissue and cartilage damage around the thumb area.

IMG_3474.JPG

Sterkte Deil..

Look, I won't just do this for anyone, but I am happy to take your bikes out for rides so that they do not get lonely!

#BestFriendsLetFriendsRideTheirBikesWhenTheirHandsAreMessedUP!

So 2021 has been a bit of a challenge.

I have focussed on training a lot, this week the kids went back to school, which changes my morning training regime considerably. Training after the days I have been having has proven impossible, and after my day going for a ball at 9am, it was decided that I will ride, outside, on my own this afternoon.

post-24416-0-79793800-1613675782_thumb.jpeg

This was the turn-around point, I was very happy that I had made the decision to take some time out to ride.

A bit of Tar to get back to Mulder’s Drift, and photo’s to make the blacktop go by quicker...

post-24416-0-00390700-1613676327_thumb.jpeg
post-24416-0-85765400-1613676342_thumb.jpeg

The last dirt road climb back to my house, is a segment, and the last time I set a PR, was on a geared bike, during lockdown, after many hours on Zwift. Today, I gave it a go, on my trusty on-one, and I set a PR. I am very impressed with myself. Celebrate the little things.

Edit: hopefully sorted upside down photos out

Edited by RocknRolla

So 2021 has been a bit of a challenge.

I have focussed on training a lot, this week the kids went back to school, which changes my morning training regime considerably. Training after the days I have been having has proven impossible, and after my day going for a ball at 9am, it was decided that I will ride, outside, on my own this afternoon.

attachicon.gif79602262-8C12-4347-AA55-AD65D42FB08D.jpeg

This was the turn-around point, I was very happy that I had made the decision to take some time out to ride.

A bit of Tar to get back to Mulder’s Drift, and photo’s to make the blacktop go by quicker...

attachicon.gifE7314A29-6E66-4491-A2AD-0D3B42ED2FCD.jpeg

attachicon.gif7399C985-1334-400E-8F2E-AEE1E8202C34.jpeg

The last dirt road climb back to my house, is a segment, and the last time I set a PR, was on a geared bike, during lockdown, after many hours on Zwift. Today, I gave it a go, on my trusty on-one, and I set a PR. I am very impressed with myself. Celebrate the little things.

Edit: hopefully sorted upside down photos out

Did a ride this morning with a couple of commuters who are working from home, and my friend and I were on our SS MTB's ... with him also being on his white on-one inbred ... they are really such nice bikes

Wait, what, it's open again? :D

Trail builders indicated that the signage still shows closed but you are welcome to use but the trails are not maintained and there is no support.

The trail markings are mostly still up, some have been damaged or removed, so if you know the route you are welcome to use.