Where has your bike taken you today?

An3

34 minutes ago, Pikey said:

???????? was early/earlier today . Wish I had gone at 6ish was really warm. 

was breezy out boksburg way at 5:30

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• DJR

• Frosty

• ChrisF

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, copperhead said:

Where are we going to meet for a few days riding? Maybe Prince Albert? We can go through to Merweville or something. I need to have a plan for my next tour. Hope you keeping well ????????

Done The Pass twice and Merweville is not going to be repeated (ask Arno!)

KZN/Free State to somewhere in the Eastern Cape I think should do just fine but it never works out as planned.  Still working on a route.

Keep well!

2 hours ago, copperhead said:

From Ceres to Wolseley. Nearly rode over this thing. What is it? Black in colour. Very small head for its size. Nearly ???????? myself. Any ideas on make, model and year?

20211111_112934.jpg

Mole. Non venomous, but will take its pound of flesh, don't you worry. Those boikies are best left well alone.

My old man had some visitors by the homestead too earlier in the week.

This meneer had some game and tried to come for my dad on his stoep. He ended the snake with his windbuks and then moered it with a pvc pipe for good measure.

image.png.a3a7b849f5a656700070437684cefc40.png

Not long after, Buks, the thoroughbred plaas brak started barking like mad on the lawn, revealing the second capey coming to look for its mate, long since deceased. It too had to join its mate in the afterlife sadly.

image.png.b51f49a956165f7215b004ba6bd975fc.png

10 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Mole. Non venomous, but will take its pound of flesh, don't you worry. Those boikies are best left well alone.

My old man had some visitors by the homestead too earlier in the week.

This meneer had some game and tried to come for my dad on his stoep. He ended the snake with his windbuks and then moered it with a pvc pipe for good measure.

image.png.a3a7b849f5a656700070437684cefc40.png

Not long after, Buks, the thoroughbred plaas brak started barking like mad on the lawn, revealing the second capey coming to look for its mate, long since deceased. It too had to join its mate in the afterlife sadly.

image.png.b51f49a956165f7215b004ba6bd975fc.png

Sorry, but I don't get why the need to kill them, rather get someone to catch & release them.  They play a vital role in the environment.

1 hour ago, TheoG said:

Sorry, but I don't get why the need to kill them, rather get someone to catch & release them.  They play a vital role in the environment.

Agree on all counts!  They are actually more scared of you. Don't threaten them and rather use a "snake box" 

4 hours ago, copperhead said:

By the time your old man is finished he is going to be looking out on his stoep at nothing but a massive graveyard! 

That snake looks yellow and skinny? This one was beautiful shiny black and rather plump. But if y'all say mole snake then okay. So happy your dad wasn't there with his braai tongues and assault rifle. 

1 hour ago, TheoG said:

To be fair, he does not prefer to kill them, at least not out in the veld, but around the house there is no mercy. I don't agree, but getting old timers to change their minds is easier said than done.

But he has kudu and zebra often roaming on the land very close this his house and has decreed there will be no hunting on the farm anymore at least, so now he sits on his lawn many days and watches the zebra and kudu grazing without a care in the world. On the neighbouring farms the shots would have rung out each time the kudu are sighted, so now they only come down from the mountains to my dad's farm.

8 minutes ago, copperhead said:

To be fair that snake is dead, your old man is holding a gun and that is what the picture says? 

pellet gun, but I concede your point.

I also don't agree with killing them. In hindsight my point got lost. Stupid post. 

I was trying to say the snakes are moving around this time of year, be alert out there. But ja, I completely fudged it up.

5 minutes ago, copperhead said:

I completely understand where you are coming from. Putting a picture or two up of a dead snake was maybe just what rubbed me up the wrong way. I see at least 2 or 3 snakes that have been run over every day. Just frustrating that humans have turned out so badly. ????

20211109_150017.jpg

Very sad yes. They play such a critical role in the ecosystem.

At least I saved a striped field mouse from certain death this morning when I saw my cat trying to pry something out from under my daughter's toys she leaves lying all around the yard. The poor oke ran under her toy to avoid being breakfast to an excitable cat.

Usually if the animal in question has 4 appendages hanging between the hind legs, its a cow. If it has only one, like the white one has, its not a cow, but a bull. This is also why its twice the size of the cows. And it is also only doing what bulls do...

Cute calves though

Hard to tell, but they look to be Bonsmara. Pricey animals those.

Edited by Robbie Stewart