Where has your bike taken you today?

An3

A bigger day out than planned (and also one that included doing Ou Kaap 90km in 🙈), but made much better by my new (old) bike. At half the weight of my steel gravel bike, and with significantly thinner tyres, a couple of climbing PBs were the order of the day 😁

strava1088085496828965231.jpg

GOPR5468_1645352469487-01.jpeg

GOPR5476_1645352469487-01.jpeg

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• DJR

• Frosty

• ChrisF

Top Posters In This Topic

58 minutes ago, mazambaan said:

Take it easy at Karkloof unless you know it well. They have had a lot of rain and storms methinks so, two weeks ago, over 35km, trails were quite eroded, lots of sticks and leaves and jumps looked "old", not broken. Slippery in places, the rocky section (Balls something) showed little use - it is a challenge (for me anyway). Otherwise still very popular, club is great, trails excellent and very pleasant riding.

Thanks for the heads-up. This will be my sixth trip down there so I definitely dont know it well. 

Went for a ride at Rhebokskloof this morning and was excited to discover a "new"? trail called Owloon. Not sure why I hadn't heard of it before but it was some fantastic riding.

Super fun descent into it from Rheboks with a ton of sweet, sweet berms.

There also a new (to me) set of berms in the pine trees at the top.

Nice cool weather, fantastic day on the bike.

Also, i saw a snake.

IMG_20220221_100010.jpg.1ef4f16573e9fc248ca2086eb34eb155.jpgIMG_20220221_100046.jpg.23df8efa1935bf536d49222a4de44076.jpgIMG_20220221_101837.jpg.0d593426ed866420e4e2b1b722efb960.jpg

IMG_20220221_100057.jpg

A really trusting buddy of mine is lending me his Kickr V5 while he's in Europe, so my bike took me into my garage this morning for my first Zwift race, which I'm pretty much already hooked on.

I unfortunately had a toddler that was practicing his parkour in our bed from 02:00 this morning, so I overslept my 3:55 alarm by a smidge and ended up turning the crank for the first time 50s before the race started at 4:05. Needless to say, I was wholly unprepared for the 320W+ sufferfest of the first minute that awaited me (even though I was warned that Z races start fast). Ended up dropping from the first bunch within 5min, and waiting for the next group (who were actually in Cat C with me, not the A+B+C mix of the leading bunch). 

Being on the heavier side (86kg) and an expected mid-packer for Cat C (2.8 W/kg) the pace was quick, but not unsustainable in our little bunch. Tried to drop them on the steep climb in Innsbruck, but got caught right on the crest. Had a 5-way sprint to the line, went over the line third in that bunch. Ended up 9th in my category (admittedly out of only 10 participants), after ZPower filtered basically the whole bunch I was racing. 

I'm pretty much hooked. 40min flew by (especially considering that I was at 101% of FTP on average the whole time). The fact that I can scratch the competitive/gaming itch I've struggled to satisfy since losing interest in online gaming, with other similarly-fit people, and not feel like I'm as horrible as I really am (nobody brags about being 4000th at the 947) is pretty great.

image.png.5c341dc5a83db88aa26f6de6c2ab2c29.png

Edited by TyronLab

Did a ramp test, yesterday afternoon, to get some DFA-alpha1 data; following the protocol showing on PezCyclingNews. Ended up with 0.99 as my lowest value when I got to the end of the last step. Will try again on Wednesday or next week Monday and lengthen the number of steps to ensure a drop below 0.75. 

image.png.92bcdb3cbc16fcc0cdf78c82dfbb4c00.png

The route, on Rouvy, is entitled Lavender field in Provence, but there certain isn't any purple in the video. Wold be better if they had a video when the lavender was in full bloom.
Lavender Season in Provence, France - When is the Best Time to Visit?

1 hour ago, TyronLab said:

A really trusting buddy of mine is lending me his Kickr V5 while he's in Europe, so my bike took me into my garage this morning for my first Zwift race, which I'm pretty much already hooked on.

I unfortunately had a toddler that was practicing his parkour in our bed from 02:00 this morning, so I overslept my 3:55 alarm by a smidge and ended up turning the crank for the first time 50s before the race started at 4:05. Needless to say, I was wholly unprepared for the 320W+ sufferfest of the first minute that awaited me (even though I was warned that Z races start fast). Ended up dropping from the first bunch within 5min, and waiting for the next group (who were actually in Cat C with me, not the A+B+C mix of the leading bunch). 

Being on the heavier side (86kg) and an expected mid-packer for Cat C (2.8 W/kg) the pace was quick, but not unsustainable in our little bunch. Tried to drop them on the steep climb in Innsbruck, but got caught right on the crest. Had a 5-way sprint to the line, went over the line third in that bunch. Ended up 9th in my category (admittedly out of only 10 participants), after ZPower filtered basically the whole bunch I was racing. 

I'm pretty much hooked. 40min flew by (especially considering that I was at 101% of FTP on average the whole time). The fact that I can scratch the competitive/gaming itch I've struggled to satisfy since losing interest in online gaming, with other similarly-fit people, and not feel like I'm as horrible as I really am (nobody brags about being 4000th at the 947) is pretty great.

image.png.5c341dc5a83db88aa26f6de6c2ab2c29.png

Welcome to Zwift Racing. It's hard AF. 

Get to know this website if you're planning on taking your Zwift journey to another level.

https://zwiftinsider.com/