Where has your bike taken you today?

An3

I didn't finish, but it doesn't mean I can't write about my experience.

Maybe It'll help someone else prepare for it or something similar a bit better than I did.

Okay cool. I understood it wrong then. I thought that you were focussed on telling people how to ride the race. Please accept my appologies.

A how I didnt finish the race review should add lots of value.

• Replies 30.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• DJR

• Frosty

• NotSoBigBen

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay cool. I understood it wrong then. I thought that you were focussed on telling people how to ride the race. Please accept my appologies.

A how I didnt finish the race review should add lots of value.

Hahahahahahahahahaha! No.... Definitely not. And cool.

This. St4 for me is my favourite trail of all to date. There are drops, but they're not huge. What makes it difficult is the sheer time that you spend going down this loose, rock strewn moonscape, after having to get up there in the first place.

It was MURDER on the arms and legs. It took me 16 min to get down stage 4. I had to stop twice to just breathe and release some tension from my arms and to prevent cramp. A 16 min down after 6 3/4 hours at avg 158bpm is not easy.

Having said that, the technicality was pretty high compared to the normal trail in CT. There are patches on TM and in jonkers that rival it (talking stages 4&5) but the vast majority fall way short. If it were an imba trail it'd be a solid double black. Not from a drops or jumps perspective (there were only 3 jumps and all of them were in st1) but just from having to keep control of your bike over sections of loose rock while still doing those drops.

The pics, as always, don't do it justice. There is loose rock just littered all over the trail.

Stages 1/2/3 were completely different. Loose and off camber, but dry and dusty. Hardly any rock.

So its a fitness thing more than anything else?

I didn't finish, but it doesn't mean I can't write about my experience.

Maybe It'll help someone else prepare for it or something similar a bit better than I did.

Oh. I also think that the very fact I DIDN'T complete, means there's something to be said. It's brutal. It's uncompromising. It's also a sign that it is achievable for the average Joe. Maybe not to finish, but to at least try.

People helping people

Powerful stuff

Myles don't let these guys with giant penises get to you.

Most probably never ridden in Eselfontein.

Post that write up, I'm still deciding whether to do the Ezelenduro or 3day again next year

So its a fitness thing more than anything else?

Yes. I'd say so. You still need to be technically proficient, but for me the fitness is more important. The most brutal part of it (for me) was the ascent to stage 4. Not a *lot* of climbing, but it was the terrain. Rocky, and energy sapping. No smooth path through the rocks in the trail. Getting into and keeping a rhythm was almost impossible, and there were sections you just *couldn't* ride out. If it'd been a manicured single-track climb all the way... Different story entirely. Probably.

Edit: actually, I'd say what's most important is the ability to ride tech while being completely and utterly buggered. It's one thing riding something like that when fresh. It's a completely different proposition doing the same when you've been out for 6/7 hours and then pinning it as hard as you can, trying to concentrate as much as possible.

Imo it's the Enduro that comes closest to what EWS and Euro enduros offer.

A "normal" Enduro event here is over in 3 hours or so.

Edited by Myles Mayhew

Post that write up, I'm still deciding whether to do the Ezelenduro or 3day again next year

Enduro. The gees is just... Phenomenal.

Oh, stop it, you! 

You'll make me blush. 

Wow nobody threw their toys...some really mature stuff on this page. Much respect guys. Look forward to your review Myles and goodluck with the Munga Vetseun! Well done guys.

I'd like Vetseun to post a pic of his fat self.. I cant believe a guy with a nic like that would even contemplate the Munga.

That's the beauty of cyber cycling: He can pretend to be slow, and I can pretend to be fast! :thumbup: After all, the universe will balance out!

Edited by DJR

I'd like Vetseun to post a pic of his fat self.. I cant believe a guy with a nic like that would even contemplate the Munga.

Show me yours and I will show you mine.