In loving memory of Tim Brink

DieselnDust

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, Headshot said:

Tim was part of the Warthogs MTB email group for many years which is how I and several other got to know him. More recently he offered his assistance to get TokaiMTB where it is now. I cannot pretend to have known him very well but what I did know I liked. Condolences to his  family. 😢 

The same for me, we loved each other's sense of humour and had some lovely chats on whatsapp recently.

He was given 3-6 months in Jan, but wanted to make it through the pro cycling season. Alan's olympic medal was great but time was up.

Now which bike do I take to the remembrance?

South Africa's cycling aficionado has gone - long live his legacy.

Measure of the man is to see some of the other older hubbers who's contributions I have valued over the years come online again and pay tribute.

RIP Tim.

I had the pleasure of working with Tim on many occasions during my years at Cape Epic.

We laughed, we stressed, we swore, we laughed some more. Tim's wit was and will remain unmatched, and I'll cherish every moment I got to spend with him. 

RIP, my friend.

I knew him by seeing his name often and did have one small interaction and it was a very positive one I remember well and was well impressed.  RIP, may he have good traction and no dust.

Having first encountered Tim's name in magazines as a keen teenager, I later had the privilege of getting to know him through the industry. And, in recent years having the treat of spending many, MANY hours on a bike with Tim over multiple Double Centuries.

As the Captain of all ride captains Tim's experience, patience and wit were unmatched in successfully shepherding a group of often 30+ mismatched riders to the finish line. He just loved riding bikes and sharing that love with other riders. His calls of "Piano, piano" (slowly / gently) still ring out as the inevitable over-zealous team members (sometimes me included) would race off with 199km to go.

An inordinate loss for the cycling community and an unimaginable one for his family. 

Thank you Tim. RIP

Thanks for this, still processing since the news last week and searching for flights down to CT for the memorial. When first starting out on cycling media while still holding down a full time job Tim was one of the first people I came into touch with via the PPA. 
Always a mentor and over the better part of twenty years a friendship trading puns, dad jokes and some obscure humour. Always a friend to reconnect at events as we’d go over online messages and banter. A love for cycling and all things good from cycling with a dash of petrolhead appreciation. One of our last conversations we chatted about Barry (Tumbles) … two people who were incredible writers and exceptional people in their own way. One slightly more upright on their bike, most of the time.

I'm really glad I went yesterday, met some new people and reconnected with many who I just haven't bumped into for a while. I parked at the venue and rode to the church, locking my bike with another against a tree - with a few more dotted around.

Church was very close to capacity, the pastor's sermon remarked how he didn't really know Tim beyond that he was the stubborn guy in the car outside whilst Carola would be praying for him in the service. There was no judgement and he chose his words well.

Not bad when you can call on your little brother advocate to say some really nice things about you, and then followed up by Premier Winde who was genuine in his love and affection for Tim (and their riding together). Their DC team will be short of a rider this year but full of tears. I spoke to Alan later, they're working on a special plan for the race this year. He really does make the other politicians look bad by just being nice. 

He mentioned this FB post that was a message to us all there:

image.png.a51276d95aacc144c8d2dad19f32b511.png

It was indeed a celebration and some fun. 

I haven't seen these two excellent ones posted here, so have a read if you're intrigued.

https://kevinmccallum.substack.com/p/fk-you-tim

https://www.treadmtb.co.za/a-tribute-to-tim/

At the end of the day, it's bloody cancer. By the time it was found it had already spread far. Tim was initially given 3 months and took 20, he put all his faith in the medical experts and trusted them to do what was possible. Earlier this year when it came back he beat the predictions again.  In my mid fourties I don't find myself in a church often as all my friends seem to have got married or given up trying. It only seems to be for funerals now, either my parents' generation clocking out at a ripe old age or younger people (mostly with some form of cancer). I have another person surviving an op and in the first stages of chemo, and just this week someone else found it and about to start this dreadful journey. 

Earlier this year I went to the dermatologist to go checked out for the first time, everything looks ok but can now be checked on the baseline we have. As cyclists we are high risk, if you're on the fence on this matter then the peace of mind from getting good news is totally worth it. If you spent a lot of time outdoors in your youth then the damage is potentially all done, and you definitely should. 

Having spent a fair amount of my early years in the publishing game, Tim held a lot of weight. His professionalism went beyond the bike. My condolences to family.

1 hour ago, Shebeen said:

Snip. 

Earlier this year I went to the dermatologist to go checked out for the first time, everything looks ok but can now be checked on the baseline we have. As cyclists we are high risk, if you're on the fence on this matter then the peace of mind from getting good news is totally worth it. If you spent a lot of time outdoors in your youth then the damage is potentially all done, and you definitely should. 

Please, go for PSA tests and prostate finger test if you need to as well. Early detection saves lives.

My father's kidney cancer was picked up as part of a MRI scan for a slipped disc. Stage 4 already. I'ts nearly two years later and he is still giving the middle finger to that dooming news. 

F*CK CANCER.