Ethics in classifieds!?

JTK

I gotta be honest I have seen my items up for resale a few times because I usually price it so that it will move quickly - can't really blame someone else who is willing to put in the time and effort to take the opportunity to make a few bucks.

Off topic.... Grease you got any more Garmin 520's laying around collecting dust?

I'm into day 55 of January and i need to make a few extra bucks :whistling:

Edited by slickjay007

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Off topic.... Grease you got any more Garmin 520's laying around collecting dust?

I'm into day 55 of January and i need to make a few extra bucks :whistling:

Hahaha no I don't :D only had the one, and thw quick sale was to fund something else.

If you unsure of the item ask them to meet you at the LBS so they can say it is or isn’t in the condition specified let them have a quick check or take someone who knows the item to check it for you.ive bought here for many years and had quality buys 100% of the time.

buy and sell on will come with a whole heap of issues

imagine i buy form x and sell to z

then z has an issue with the goods

he wants money back and i want money back from x

gets kinda complicated

too many fingers in this pie

buying second hand the first thing to go is the warranty!

If it is as described and working when you received it there's no telling how long it will last.

I mean even buying new I have had stuff go wrong in a week but that is why you have a warranty. Buying used and something goes wrong in a week or so chuck it and get another one. That is the chance we take comes with the good price.

buying second hand the first thing to go is the warranty!

If it is as described and working when you received it there's no telling how long it will last.

I mean even buying new I have had stuff go wrong in a week but that is why you have a warranty. Buying used and something goes wrong in a week or so chuck it and get another one. That is the chance we take comes with the good price.

Wish I could remember the hubbers name but I bought  Bryton 40 a few years back.

It worked perfectly well when inspecting it but when I got it home it just would not sync with any of my PC's.

Stayed in touch with the seller who was super helpful. Lodged a complaint with Bryton and we just could not get it resolved.

He took the item back and gave me a full refund.

Kicker is that when he plugged it in, it synced straight away. Still gave me a refund based on screenshots and videos of my struggles.

There are decent folk in the classifieds.......

• 2 weeks later...

So far no troubles with the goods I've bought, and haven't come across any dodgy deals/okes... yet and hopefully won't

What are your guys thoughts on sellers advertising a frame as 650B, but it is just a 26" frame that has been able to retro fit a 650B wheelset.

Now there is an add running with the above, and the person does not disclose that the frame is a 26" frame. To me this is miss-leading, and if a new rider looking for a 650B sees the add, they will jump on it considering the selling price, and not knowing any better.

The seller recons that given the "bargain price" the frame is worth it either way....my interaction with the seller below ... am I in the wrong here playing the role of "classifieds police"?

post-5403-0-44935800-1549959688_thumb.jpg

Yeah thats bs man 

its nonsense like this that people need to be made aware of 

What are your guys thoughts on sellers advertising a frame as 650B, but it is just a 26" frame that has been able to retro fit a 650B wheelset.

Now there is an add running with the above, and the person does not disclose that the frame is a 26" frame. To me this is miss-leading, and if a new rider looking for a 650B sees the add, they will jump on it considering the selling price, and not knowing any better.

The seller recons that given the "bargain price" the frame is worth it either way....my interaction with the seller below ... am I in the wrong here playing the role of "classifieds police"?

Good on you hairy, that is totally misleading regardless of the price, 26'' is not 650B

Personally think this is super uncool and very misleading - advertise what you are selling, not what you'd like the buyer to think it is - "Bargain 26 frame converted to run 650b" or something along those lines

I think the truth is the most important part of buying and selling

Absolute horse sh#t, but there are so many calling them out will get tiring

All of the above. No different to listing a chinarello as a pinarello - it is and never will be that, no matter what modifications it receives. It ought to be advertised as a modified 26"

edit: and good for you and your vigilance - you may have saved a browsing newbie some pocket ache and heartache

Edited by Dirkitech

• 5 months later...

I know this is an old topic and alot of people believe in the 'it's only yours when you've paid for it and it's in your hands' but I recently contacted someone here selling a Knolly Carbon whole bike to see if it was still for sale as I was pretty interested and had cash to go but the seller wrote back to say "Someone has paid a dep but if you are more serious and pay full before the the 7th i will gove his dep back! I bought ot from trail teck"

Maybe I'm wrong but if the person has paid a deposit then you've kinda committed to selling that thing, you have his coin. Look, maybe they accepted a lower price and were looking try to get the full advertised price but I don't think it's on to be honest. If I'd laid down a deposit and the deal seemed to be done, then I'd like to know it's done and not hocking it to the next fastest person. Plus it doesn't make me feel exactly trusting that a big ticket purchase from the other side of the country is going to go well.

I've held items for a week for a guy on a promise and I've had people do me a favour on here as well. It's some of what makes it a bit of community and above the fight of somewhere like gumtree.

Or of course it just about getting as much money as you can so what does it matter. 

Edited by Dirt Tracker